“Good experience...”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Fox Glacier
Singapore, Singapore
“Good experience...”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

fox glacier is a very very small place. Given that the location is really not relevant. It is on the road that leads to lake matheson and gillespies beach - hence the name. The rooms are very neat and clean. However they are quite small and a bit cramped. One toilet though. Otherwise they are very comfortable. We spent 2 nights and were quite comfortable. There was nothing really to complain about. The rooms are serviced daily. Very spick and span. Good value for money. There is a very nice rugby field just adjacent to the property - should be beautiful in summer. There is a nice view of the mountains from the property but not directly from the room we were in. The beds were nice and firm and good king size. There were adequate heating arrangements since it was winter. Kitchen was well stocked. Very neat and clean. There is a paid laundry facility. Good value for money. Would repeat again. If you book through them then you get a discount on the helicopter rides.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Lovely little motel just off the main road. The staff were very helpful with regard to helping us out in organising a heli hike on the glacier. The room was comfortable and warm, with plenty of cooking amenities. Would recommend this motel to everyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed for one night at Lake Matheson Motel and absolutely loved it!

My room no 2 was immaculate, clean, bed was comfy and I slept really well. The bathroom was amazing with very good hot shower. It has small kitchen, a heater, a tv and location wise...it is just perfect. It's very close to the main street. The motel is very quiet and spacious. There's ample parking too for each room.

What makes the whole stay amazing though is the great hosts and owners, Mike and Heather. They were just brilliant! Mike is a very friendly and an amazing guy. He picked me up from the heli landing after my helicopter ride with my newly found friends and pretty much provided the best service until the end of my stay. Had very nice chats with him too and he's so amazed at how I ended up arriving Fox Glacier by a helicopter :-D It totally made his day and I felt great to share my amazing travel story with him.

He said he never had any customer arrived by helicopter and that I should write a book about my story! Hahaha yeah maybe I should! He even thought I was some VIP rich lady! Hahahaahha wish I was! I met Mike the next day at the Cook Saddle pub and he shared my stories to some of his friends. Very nice indeed!

That day was just magical and an AHHMAAZZINNNG day for me too that I couldn't even believe it actually happened. Bless the beautiful man who gave me the spare seat (for free) in the heli that he chartered and took me all the way to the top of Tasman Glacier where we had an AHHMAAZINNNG picnic lunch on the mountains before dropping me off at Fox.

Fox Glacier itself is a small, very quiet and peaceful village. The locals are extremely friendly. I had a very good chat with one of Mike’s friends at the pub too. I didn't plan to stay at Fox Glacier initially but a minor last minute change of plan led me to this village. So I booked a room at Lake Matheson Motel at the very last minute too and thankfully I got a room!

The main attractions of this village are of course the glacier tour and Lake Matheson. You must do both of this! The motel is quite far to walk to the lake. If you had a car, then it's ok but the walk will take almost 1 hr ONE WAY...so make sure you time yourself well when you go this lake esp in winter time cos days are shorter and it gets dark very quickly and there's no street lighting at all at Cook Flat Rd. So it is not recommended to walk at night.

So overall I really love this motel. It has a very special place in my heart. Will definitely be staying here again in my next visit!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Poikime
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in August. We would have stayed for a longer period had time allowed us to. Our room was cosy warm when we arrived, extremely clean and very comfortable. We dined out on our first night at a lovely local restaurant, and cooked a bar b que on the second night at the motel. The hosts were just wonderful, made us feel like we were old friends and were very helpful with advise on the best activities to do. Just a great place to stay, very central to everything. Quiet surroundings and excellent amenities. Will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy K
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed here in July with my family and couldn't have asked for better service! The heaters were on when we arrived so the room was nice & toasty. The managers, Heather & Mike were extremely helpful and suggested things we could do whilst we were there. It was nice, peaceful & quiet plus good value for money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jason P
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived late in the evening and were greeted by a lovely couple, Heather and Mike, who showed us to our two bedroom apartment, where they had the lights and heating already on. I thought this was a really nice touch. The apartment was spacious, well decorated and impeccably clean. We all felt at home straight away. Heather reminded us of the time and quickly made a booking for us to get dinner at a nice place called the Last Kitchen and recommended the Lake Matheson Cafe for our morning coffee. This is the place to stay if on the West coast and really handy for visiting the Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers. The service was professional and friendly throughout, with a little extra local New Zealand hospitality!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night with our 3 kids. One of the more spacious units we stayed at on our trip for a bigger family. Also one of the less expensive stays. Nice and toasty warm with all the heaters on after our chilly and wet west coast hike up to the fox glacier. Simple, clean, comfortable, and warm. Wifi was also fast and reliable, something that we didn't always find in our travels. Would recommend to others, great location.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
#4 of 10 in Fox Glacier
Mount Cook View Motel
Mount Cook View Motel
#8 of 10 in Fox Glacier

Been to Lake Matheson Motel? Share your experiences!