“Fantastic dinner will be back tomorrow night”

Cook Saddle Cafe & Saloon
Ranked #5 of 10 Restaurants in Fox Glacier
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Cook Saddle Cafe and Saloon offers locals and visitors a variety of menu options at reasonable prices in a warm and friendly country atmosphere.Our wide menu selection includes ala carte and group menu’s, while our popular western style meals are enjoyed by young and old. A children’s menu is available and we endeavour to meet special dietary requirements upon request.The restaurant offers indoor and outdoor dining and during the cooler months visitors can relax and unwind by the cosy open fire.The saloon is full of local history, a comfortable place for visitors to the West Coast region to catch up with the locals and perhaps hear a few good old stories from days gone by!
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Had a great dinner. Warm fire place created a great atmosphere. Lots of selections of drink. Service was great.

Other reviews have given this place some negative comments but I didn't find this to be the case. When I asked our tour guide from the Heli Hike she also recommended this place

We have done a walk through down again this afternoon and decided to go back again tonight as we think it is the best option.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had dinner at the cook saddle cafe as there weren't many places that were open at 8pm. The restaurant was nice and warm. Service was slow however as they seemed understaffed. The server was also not very familiar with the food when I asked her a couple of questions. When I asked her to describe the fish of the day, the descriptions almost sounded as if I didn't understand what a fish was. Food however was generally good. Ambience was alright. Other than the slow and odd service, little complaints.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We've been there for lunch. The room is nearly as cold as outside but that's ok for us. I ordered a fish burger, it was ok but in NZ I always had better burgers. The chips were really good, well cooked. My partner ordered a whitebait, 27 dollars, we expected a big plate, we were really disappointed. Small portion as compared to the price. The 'gourmet potatoes' to go with are just boiled potatoes. We decided not to take dessert there but my partner was still hungry so we had to buy cookies in the supermarket... next time we may just try to take a fish and chips takeaway. The service was good, nice waitress.

1  Thank Sandrineandalex
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We waited for ~15mins just to get a menu. A table that came after us, even got served first!

After ordering, we have to wait for another 20mins for our meal. We ordered calamari and roast chicken. The calamari is just fine. However, the chicken is over cooked and very dry.

We didn't bother ordering dessert even though it looks good, we just don't have the time to wait for another 15-20mins.

Well, they have a very nice fire place. That's the only positive I can think of.

1  Thank MAngelUy
Reviewed 16 July 2014

First impression of Fox Glacier coming from Wanaka was wow. Headed into town for food and fuel and wished we could get through without. The non welcome started at the petrol station where the attendant didn't bother stop having a chat with her girlfriend whilst I paid my bill without uttering a word in my direction. Rocked into the saloon fanging for a feed. The open was a nice find with period interiors of the region. As the only guests we found it interesting listening to the staff meeting occurring at the same time and ordered. Fish burger $18 ok, pasta special $26 really good but avoid the so called Pizza $19. Never heard of chilli and some Parmesan will cost you extra 25% on the price. What is pizza on stale ciabatta anyhow? The town was very dead and lacked character. Couldn't get out of there quick enough. Headed into Franz Josef 30 mins later and what a find. Great vibe and selections of places to eat including gourmet burger bar and eighty eight fusion Asian bar with live music. If you can make it to FJ take the chance.

1  Thank JD70147