“Quickbreak on a long trip south”
Review of Hobnail Cafe

Hobnail Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Our friendly and helpful staff will tempt you with the delicious breakfast or lunch menus. Our scrumptious homemade baking is made fresh on the premises everyday, and the delicatessen style food is perfect for a casual lunch, or food on the run. Meals can be made to order if you need to take away, or if you have a little more time to savour the flavour, enjoy in our cosy café either inside, or outside and lap up the sun. We are licensed too, so enjoy a beer or a glass of wine at the café with your meal. We also offer vegetarian meal options if you prefer. Groups are most welcome but advance notice is appreciated. Wifi is available with any Hobnail Cafe purchase, so if you want to catch up on messages and emails or upload photos from your Fox Glacier experience, then this is the perfect opportunity. The Hobnail Café is open from 7.30am daily.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Quick stop en route to Queenstown for coffee and a muffin. Pleasant and warm place to sit. Coffee was good. Toilets clean and tidy. Met our need for a short break.Other services provided which we did not use---trip bookings and souvenir shopping.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The food was ok. The room was a bit cold as nobody had lit the fire that morning. A very nice young chap did so while we were there but unfortunately managed to fill the room with smoke! That aside, a pleasant enough way to start your day.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed in Fox Glacier for a week or so during March visiting my son who works nearby. The Toasted Sandwich is good value and very tasty and hit the mark with me more than once. I found the staff very helpful and polite and always attentive.
I like the fact that the Glacier Guides help out at busy time... make perfect sense and I don't care if they have baggy jeans and wear T shirts...
The breakfasts are pretty good and the portions are just right for the average man.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This cafe was recommended by the hotel for breakfast before our walk on the glacier. Was excellent. Staff friendly

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I had started from Wanaka to reach Fox by mid-day and just wanted a quick bite upon arrival as we were here for an official visit. We chose to go to this cafe since it had the highest amount of people we could see outside and then inside, probably because they do some heli-ride or transport options etc etc. We ordered a burger and a toasted sandwich and frankly the quantity that we received was fairly scanty.

My wife's toasted sandwich (vegetarian) had some cheese, Mushrooms (4 slices, may be not even 1 full button mushroom), Tomatoes (2 slices) and we paid $10 for this. I had to seriously force my wife to speak up since the queue was long enough to return back and then get the order freshly made. The lady at the cash till changed the sandwich with a little hesitation as I waited for my burger to go cold till the new one had arrived. The barista who made coffee seemed to have a liking for Marshmallows as she gobbled some while making coffees. I think the staff was a little underfed and hungry.

The reorder was delivered by by some young local lad in a T-shirt and loose baggy trousers, no head gear and straight out of the Kitchen.

The price they charge versus the quantity of food and laid back service doesn't make for a value for money meal. I hope they can take this onboard and improve.

1  Thank JainikS
Karen J, Manager at Hobnail Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hello

I am very sorry for your disappointment on your recent visit to the Hobnail café as we strive to send our customers away happy.
I would like to be certain it was our café that you dined at as the charge for a Toasted Sandwich is only $8.50 not $10 as you stated.
I was glad to see that upon requesting an new sandwich that this was made for you, and can only imagine the hesitation by the cashier was due to the fact this is not normally the case as our customers rave about our toasted sandwiches.
It is also as you say not a very professional look to have young men in baggy T-shirts delivering your food, but as i'm sure you can appreciate in the winter it is often quite hard to staff for the odd busy day and we are often helped out by the guides in the building, this has never offended people in the past but we will take this on board.
As for the Barista, it is unfortunate you saw her taking a marsh mellow again unprofessional but in her defence my staff often go for long periods of time with out a break and as you stated she was probably hungry.
Thankyou for your feedback