“cosy atmosphere with great food”
Review of Alice May

Alice May
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Franz Josef
Price range: US$7 - US$23
Cuisines: International, Healthy, New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: As warm and welcoming, as a traditional English Carriage House. The white walls and exposed rafters are adorned with riding tack, farm tools and other historic artifacts. While the wooden floors, wagon wheel bar stools and open fireplace add to the warmth.
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

food was so good we went back the next night for dinner. The meals were reasonably priced and the creation of the plate was different and exciting.
I had the chicken on the first night and the fish on the second.
The chicken had a yummy topping.
On the second night I also had desert and the layout of the plate was really cool. The only small let down was that I don't think the crumble was homemade.
If you sit outdoors the views of the mountains with snow caps were amazing.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Really delicious pub food. I had the Venison Burger which was put together beautifully, my partner had fish which he enjoyed. The building was very traditional, almost like an English pub and the service was good. I'd go back in a jiffy.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

When you go in to the restaurant, it was not all that impressive - plain wooden tables and simple settings. However, the waiters and waitresses were all very friendly and efficient. And the food was wonderful. My starter calamary was chunky and very tasty. On top of this, the story of Alice May which gave the name of the restaurant makes it a very good reading and adds to the atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

2A & 2C. Ate here on our first night in FJ. We arrived around opening time as we had had a long drive through the day and we were all looking forward to something warm and hearty.

The staff were welcoming and trying hard to do everything possible to make us feel comfortable. Unfortunately though, for whatever reason, the day we were there the guy behind the bar was also one of the chefs which seemed to distract from him being able to help in the kitchen. This situation only worsened as the restaurant became busy with a number of tables becoming frustrated with a lack of service.

We visited in July and I have only just got around to writing the review but a good indication of the food is that I cannot remember anything about what any of us ate. This sum’s up my memory of the food at this place - bland and unmemorable.

We would not go back. Sorry.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

TheGood
The atmosphere was really good and they let me try a sip of beer before I bought it.

The bad
We had the selection of bread for starters and that was one of the very few things that was good about this place. I had Venison osso bucco and it was very dry and overcooked. My wife had Chickpea patties and it felt like eating in to a rubber. (Believe me I'm not a fussy eater and I do give credit where it's due).
We had to wait for more than 45 minutes to get the mains after we finished the starters and that was after reminding them twice.
The waitress must have had a bad day, as a result we were treated very poorly.

I Won’t go back.