Franz Alpine Retreat
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Franz Josef Oasis(Franz Josef)
View Hotel
Motel Franz Josef(Franz Josef)
View Hotel
Glacier View Motel(Franz Josef)
View Hotel
58 On Cron Motel(Franz Josef)
Rainforest Retreat(Franz Josef)
  • Restaurant
10 Cottages(Franz Josef)
View Hotel
All reviewse colifull kitchenbedroom cabintown centreminute drivenew zealandgreat place to staytwo nightsone night staylong drivecooking facilitiesliving areacomfortable staysouth islandjagaccommodationglacier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The cottages are well equipped and spacious and everything has been thought of. Anything that isn't Jo will take care of it. Like others, enjoyed the benefits of Jo's advice on where to go and what to do. After a long day sightseeing, we were given a special treat from Jo, a lovely ice cream to have after tea, very thoughtful. Thanks again, would definitely recommend Franz Alpine Retreat. Don & Therese

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I travelled with my husband and 2 friends. First of all I would like to thank Jo for her hospitality. She attended to our every need. She was always smiling and offered brilliant advice regarding tours, walks and dining options. The chalet itself is spacious and well-equipped. The complimentary DVDs we borrowed were a great touch after a long day's hike at the glaciers. We have no hesitation coming back and would definitely recommend Franz Alpine to all our friends.

Thanks again Jo for a wonderful stay.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We were travelling with another couple and when we checked in we were advised that there were no keys for one of the two rooms. The previous guests did not return the key????
We had no choice at 5pm but to take the room that could not be secured. Well there is always a first time for everything.
You would think that they would always keep a spare key!!
The room was small but tidy.
As it was cold, the heater worked quite well, but we ran out of hot water for the shower.
It is located about 5 minutes drive from town, and was in a quiet location.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ALR1963
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Our family of four (including young children) stayed the night after a long drive from Wanaka and very much enjoyed the experience. From the moment we arrived, Jo made our stay very pleasant and comfortable. She was very good to the kids and made us feel welcome. The DVDS for the and continental breakfast were a winner and Jo even offered us some towels for the Glacier Pools. The accommodation is very modern, spacious and comfortable. Very much recommend staying here, especially if you have small children.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nalin G
Reviewed 17 October 2012

My experience was similar to others with excellent hosts and a comfortable room. I had no issues about he size of the room and found it to be exceptionally clean and well presented. The heated towel rack was a pleasant touch. The continental breakfast was fine but nothing to write home about.

My scheduled bus to Queenstown picked me up,outside the motel.

My only issue was wifi; I was given a card for a complimentary "session" in my room. The wi finwas woeful and I gave up. I was able to connect from my iPhone bul the speed was too slow. I tred cinnctngftom my iPad but had no success. In ths day and age of technology, I believe all motels should offer wi if, ideally included in the tariff. It's better to offer no service at all rather than one that is deficient, I appreciate Franz Josef is a relatively remote location.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends