“Expensive - But worth it!”

Franz Josef Glacier Guides
and up
Heli-Hike Franz Josef Glacier Walk
Ranked #2 of 11 Tours in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Owner description: The magnificent Franz Josef Glacier is widely regarded as the gem of New Zealand’s West Coast Glaciers.Franz Josef Glacier Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, offering a range of glacier hiking tours to suit all levels of fitness and ability. We make a clear commitment to you that our trip is the most spectacular and rewarding available.
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been in Franz Josef almost one month ago and there I did the Franz Josef Glacier Tour.
After recieving good rainjackets, boots with Spikes, bags and rain trousers, we got a Little security instrcution for the helicopter. After that, we got in the Heli and wnet up the Glacier.
It was just amazng going through all These gaps and Little holes. Also, my guide made a very safe and souveran Impression so that we alle felt quite safe.
I could describe the whole tour, but that would be too much.
If you like adventures and you are at least a bit fit for a longer hike, then do this !!!! It is defintily worth the Money !

2  Thank hyperkenner
FJGlacierGuides, Manager at Franz Josef Glacier Guides, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Kia ora
Thanks for your fantastic review and brilliant picture!
From the team at Franz Josef Glacier Guides

Write a ReviewReviews (1,425)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We went on the Heli Hike over the weekend, it was the best thing we have ever done! We had a cracker day with fresh snow overnight to play in while walking through the glasier. The whole team at glasier guides are friendly and helpful from the Helicopter pilot to the glasier guide (we had Sarah) We also got engaged up there which made the day even more special. Thanks glasier guides YOU ROCK!!! :)

2  Thank Kiwi1 T
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Boring Trek, just standing in line for ages :( I felt like I was in line at Disneyland, but with no payoff of excitement. We weren't allowed to run on the ice at all and there were no crevasses. I had to wait standing still for the group to go ahead 30 meters just so I could run a little and then get yelled at. We had to wait for the guide to pick axe out pointless steps for slight inclines that were perfectly easy to just run or walk up with your crampers on. This was the biggest waste of my money and time in all of New Zealand, Australia, and SE Asia!

2  Thank TIMPsu23

Kia ora TIMPsu23

Thank you for your review of your recent trip on Franz Josef Glacier, and your email which came through to our reservations team.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the trip as much as you thought you would.

We do not encourage 'running' on the ice for safety reasons - it is far too easy to slip and fall while moving at speed on the ice (I can tell you that from personal experience!) :)

Our guides do stop and cut paths into the ice. Although at times these do appear to be in strange places where you think you could climb up yourself, these are always to make things easier and safer for the whole group.

We pride ourselves on being an adventure activity, in terms of where we take you, how we get you there and opening up the wilderness to all sorts of people who may not have otherwise been able to enjoy it. We definitely are not a 'thrill' experience though, so no running, jumping, etc on the ice :)

You definitely sound a bit more on the adventurous side and probably would have enjoyed something a bit more challenging like our ice climbing trips instead.

I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in NZ, and again, thank you for your feedback

Kerry - Franz Josef Glacier Guides

Reviewed 8 August 2014

From the equipment they provide, to the helicopter transfer, to the walk I did massively enjoyed this experience. We had pete as our guide who was great fun. The only negative for me was that the walk was a bit slow and unadventurous! I know this would be extremely hard to combat as each person has a different capability but I found I was waiting around quiet a bit for others to catch up and for pete to axe away more ice. Saying that the views and glacier were extremely beautiful and having time meant more incredible photo opportunities. Overall I would recommend.

1  Thank HannahMetcalfe124
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was such and awesome time !!! We had jagged as our guide and he was just awesome, he made the trip so much more entertaining and was great with questions we had. Would recommend this to everyone !! And the heli ride was awesome too, we asked the pilot on the way back if he could do something cool and ended up doing a massive drop over the ridge which was amazing !!! Thanks so much

1  Thank Kiwitraveler95