“Glacier Heli-Hike was amazing”

Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Book In Advance
More Info
US$52.72*
and up
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk
Ranked #2 of 11 Tours in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Owner description: The magnificent Franz Josef Glacier is widely regarded as the gen of New Zealand’s West Coast Glaciers.Franz Josef Glacier Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, offering a range of glacier hiking tours to suit all levels of fitness and ability.We make a clear commitment to you that our trip is the most spectacular and rewarding available.
Ontario, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Glacier Heli-Hike was amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My sister and I decided to splurge and book ourselves onto this hike. It was worth every penny! It was one of the coolest things I've ever done! Richard was our guide and after a great view of the glacier on the helicopter, he took us on a 90 mins or so hike around the ice formations. He was very knowledgeable and helpful whenever we needed it. He didn't let slower, indifferent members of the group hold us back - which I appreciated.
Walking along on the ice was an incredible experience that I highly recommend. Friends did the Explorer hike and it seemed to be more physically demanding than the Heli Hike as they went in and out of crevasses.

1 Thank Heather M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worth It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

As a backpacker, a major day trip like the Franz Josef Heli Hike is a pricey excursion. I'm SO glad I went - how often can you brag about hiking a glacier on your vacation?! The views? Stunning. The hiking? Not too daunting for a novice, but you leave feeling like a hardcore outdoors champ (think Bear Grylls). The guides? Knowledgeable, highly-trained, enthusiastic, and easy on the eyes, if I do say so myself. Be sure to bundle up (I travelled in NZ wintertime... REALLY bundle up!), and don't forget your camera! This experience is pretty unique to New Zealand, you're doing yourself a disservice if you leave the country without hiking Franz Josef!

1 Thank Kelsey A
Auckland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ice Explorer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Couldn't get on the glacier on our first visit to Franz, made the effort to get back for it and loved it so much, highly recommended!! our guide Sam was really cool, knowledgable and had some incredible stories!

1 Thank LewyPhi
Dunedin, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Expensive - But worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been in Franz Josef almost one month ago and there I did the Franz Josef Glacier Tour.
After recieving good rainjackets, boots with Spikes, bags and rain trousers, we got a Little security instrcution for the helicopter. After that, we got in the Heli and wnet up the Glacier.
It was just amazng going through all These gaps and Little holes. Also, my guide made a very safe and souveran Impression so that we alle felt quite safe.
I could describe the whole tour, but that would be too much.
If you like adventures and you are at least a bit fit for a longer hike, then do this !!!! It is defintily worth the Money !

2 Thank hyperkenner
FJGlacierGuides, Manager at Franz Josef Glacier Guides, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Kia ora
Thanks for your fantastic review and brilliant picture!
From the team at Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Whitianga, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Heli Hike awesome experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We went on the Heli Hike over the weekend, it was the best thing we have ever done! We had a cracker day with fresh snow overnight to play in while walking through the glasier. The whole team at glasier guides are friendly and helpful from the Helicopter pilot to the glasier guide (we had Sarah) We also got engaged up there which made the day even more special. Thanks glasier guides YOU ROCK!!! :)

Visited August 2014