“Truly the highlight of our trip”

Franz Josef Glacier
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I did the adventurer trip to the glacier. After reading some of the negative reviews, I was a little nervous as my partner is fairly impatient. This trip turned out to be the absolute highlight of our stay in NZ. There are no words to describe how truly memorable this was. Perfect day and snowed when we got the flight back. Totally worth the $325 (which was hard to part with), you must do this and don't cheap out!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The staff down in town are absolutely superb, the chopper pilots incredibly professional and skilled, which makes for a wonderful and scenic lift up onto the glacier.

However, the highlight is getting onto the glacier with your guide. Our guide was superb, her glacial knowledge, her professionalism and her customer service was fantastic. This was an absolute highlight of a NZ holiday.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Boring Trek, just standing in line for ages :( I felt like I was in line at Disneyland, but with no payoff of excitement. We weren't allowed to run on the ice at all and there were no crevasses. I had to wait standing still for the group to go ahead 30 meters just so I could run a little and then get yelled at. We had to wait for the guide to pick axe out pointless steps for slight inclines that were perfectly easy to just run or walk up with your crampers on. This was the biggest waste of my money and time in all of New Zealand, Australia, and SE Asia!

1  Thank TIMPsu23
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We decided to be cheap skates and just do the walk up to Franz Josef Glacier. It was about a 45min walk there and back, around 1.5km. And the view is pretty poor. I would recommend doing Fox Glacier out of them both as you are able to walk up close to the glacier and get some amazing photos, plus fox glacier is bigger and more impressive.

3  Thank Charlie2k13
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Its really mesmerizing and spiritual to be flying near the snow capped mountains and glaciers. Can't say more. This is one of the trips of my life time.