“Franz Joseph YHA, New Zealand”
Review of YHA Franz Josef

YHA Franz Josef
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Friendly welcome, clean room with ensuite ~ lovely large, warm and welcoming social/dining area and super nice fluffy feline :)
Smoking areas in customary wet weather are impossible :(
Really LARGE well-equipped kitchen and a really lovely environment overall which encourages easy exchanges with other visitors.
We'll be back for sure ~ might even actually share a true glacier experience next time ... weather permitting of course :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
YHA N, Manager at YHA Franz Josef, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Kia ora,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback, we are very pleased that you liked your room and our social area and our friendly feline, “Milkshakes”. It's great to hear that you found the lounge engaging and easy to converse with our other guests. If you have any recommendations about how we could improve our smoking areas please feel free to contact me: luke.tarplett@yha.co.nz.

Wishing you all the best for you onward travels.

Luke Tarplett
YHA Franz Josef Hostel Manager

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Free sauna, good kitchen facilities and a good location at a good price. Rooms are very basic but comfy and the laundry facilities are fine also. Wifi is $5 per day if not a YHA member and there is free parking. I would return on my next visit to Franz Josef.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

When it comes to backpacker accommodation these guys set the bar. A perfect combination of space and comfort. I've stayed many times in many different rooms. They have everything from cheap dorm beds to private ensuites and family rooms. Regardless of room price, the standards for cleanliness are consistent and unparalleled. The communal areas were clean and felt like home. TV room, Free Sauna, Fireplace, Bike Rental, Outside Grill and Dining. Only a few minutes walk from the downtown metropolis that is Franz Josef. But hold onto your seats folks, I haven't even told you about the staff. Somewhere between Lynette's endless wealth of knowledge and Emily's timelessly classic Kiwi smile I realized I had found home in New Zealand. An atmosphere whose structure was built upon the very shoulders of Josh and Jeffery and maintained by Isabelle the Flemmish Rose. Masterminded of course by the English mentalist and manager Luke. I know what you're thinking, if only there was a old fat lazy cat to make this place better....Enter stage left, albeit very slowly, Milkshakes, the oldest and fattest of the lazy cats you've ever known. I very highly recommend Franz YHA to all travelers

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2013

It's my first time to live in YHA in NZ. The hostel is very easy to be found while we arrived in Franz Josef Glacier, and it's close to stores and a gas station. Besides, the crew there were very friendly to help us check-in. The room we lived was small but very clean. It had an independent bathroom and the water was hot, and we really loved it because the weather was very cold then.

Room Tip: Independent bathroom is great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was in different YHA hostels in NZ, was impressed about the one in Wellington, but that one in Franz Josef is defently the best! Very clean, comfortable and very relaxing. You can not find a lot of hostels with a sauna...
Eventough I was sick for three days i felt really comfortable. Even the staffmembers took care about me. It was fantastic!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
YHA N, Manager at YHA Franz Josef, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Kia Ora Antonello G and thank you for the great feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to review or our hostel. The team here work hard to make sure our hostel is the best it can be for our guests so it’s wonderful to hear we’re getting things right. Our staff do go above and beyond the call of duty, so I’m glad to hear how our staff took care of you while you were feeling unwell.

Wishing you all the best for you onward travels.

Kind Regards,

Luke Tarplett, YHA Franz Josef Hostel Manager

Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was the first of many stays at YHA in New Zealand. I stayed for one night in a shared six bed dorm where everything was clean, modern and the rooms were warm. The location was great, and the common area was spacious. Prior to my stay, I had never even heard of YHA. I checked out the next day as a YHA member and spent the next three weeks touring the south island while staying at this hostel chain. I was sold on the staff, Casey in particular, who was especially helpful and even accompanied me to the glacier on his day off. Many thanks to Casey and the stand-up staff at Franz Josef.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

This was the most average stay we had, compared to previous places, this place was neither bad nor good. Was a fine stay. Rooms were ok. The staff made the stay. Very helpful. Advising on the conditions of the roads and the day before a lot of trees had been blown over so to be cautious whilst driving.

• Stayed: June 2013

Kia Ora Wassa666,

Your positive words about our staff are greatly appreciated. I’m glad they were able to help you sort out the road conditions! We all work hard to make YHA Franz Josef a home away from home for our guests.

I’m sorry that you thought the hostel was only “average”. Should you have any recommendations on how we can do things better, please feel free to contact me: luke.tarplett@yha.co.nz.

Happy travels!

#2 of 14 in Franz Josef
Glow Worm Accommodation
Glow Worm Accommodation
#3 of 14 in Franz Josef

Been to YHA Franz Josef? Share your experiences!