“Best hotel in NZ”

Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Franz Josef
“Best hotel in NZ”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This place is incredible. The service and beds are outstanding. Nothing is a problem. I called at 11pm to make a booking for a 3am arrival and it wasn a problem. They had the night porter all trained up to check us in and the heaters were on. The rooms are cosy and beautifully appointed. Even after an incredibly long drive I was able to have a restful sleep in the worlds most comfortable bed. Highly recommended. Thank you

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

Wow! We were doing an emergency run to swap our bus wich had broken down in franz mid tour. We phoned ahead to be told they don't have 24 hour check in ( as we would arrive there at 3am with new bus) But said the lady on the phone I can leave instructions for the night porter to give you a room. When we got there we were greeted with a sympathetic smile and shown to our room all I can say is Wow what a bed and what a shower. Thank you guys for making an unpleasant trip amazing. The best service and room I can ever remember receiving (and there have been a lot)

• Stayed April 2013
mysore
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel is very much at the centre of the town. Great view from the room. My room had a beautiful view of the glacier. By the way it's build I guess all rooms have great views. Good value for money. Staff are great. I haven't tried the food here, but people say great food. I will higly recommend this place.

Room Tip: everyone brag about the hot pool. Its just waste of money unless you get it free.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

Nice basic room, good sized 42' LCD tv, although let down by no sky TV. Best ever beds, what's missing is Air conditioning, SKY and basic cooking facilities. Not even a toaster. Bathrooms are really nice also. Restaurant is expensive, but there is little choice in town. Overall pretty good.

• Stayed March 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel during a coach tour of New Zealand. The hotel was well geared up for this form of traveller and the bags were in the room within minutes of arrival. The room allocated was compact but ample for one night and the bathroom was functional but small for those of us larger than normal. The welcome from the staff was warm and the service in the hotel was good. The food served was well cooked, tasty and well presented. Printing off some legal documentation e-mailed during the tour was no trouble to the front desk staff. Thank you to the team We would have no difficulty returning.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Greymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This hotel has without doubt the best staff on the West Coast - in fact the best I have experienced anywhere! After my coffee order the first day I stayed, there it was again every morning of my stay without me asking - my local coffee haunt doesn't even do that! They really get that what they are doing makes such a difference to one's stay. And nothing was a problem!
Did I mention how comfy the beds are? Absolutely divine ...so I just had to buy the mattress topper - they have a shop which includes all the toiletries and bedding, pillows etc. I only hope I now sleep as well at home as I did there! Pillows are next on the list to get...
Can't wait to go back and stay, they really make me feel right at home and that's before I even get out the door to explore and do what I came here for!

Room Tip: Any room you stay in is going to have those mattress toppers - be prepared for the best sleep of you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Our travel agent had booked us a "Standard room" for one night (#208), which was quite large. It had a single and double bed, with reading chairs, small round table, desk, TV, luggage bench, closet with iron and ironing board, stocked fridge, and coffee maker. There was also a balcony with chairs and table facing the parking lot and main reception area. This hotel chain clearly caters to bus tour groups as we saw two buses in the parking lot, but our room was quiet. The small bathroom had great towels, tissues, shampoo, soap, and hand lotion, The lighting was acceptable. We did not see their guest laundries and there are charges to use the internet, which we did not use. Reception was very friendly and there seemed to be many other employees available to help guests with luggage or other matters.
The location is within easy walking distance to the tiny village of Franz Josef, where there are a few bars and tourist shops.
Breakfast the next morning was the usual, large NZ buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoe, cheeses, fruit, cereal, breads, and beverages.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple