“Excellent b&b in glacier country” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westwood Lodge- A Select Hotel

Westwood Lodge- A Select Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Franz Josef B&B and Inns
River Forest, Illinois
“Excellent b&b in glacier country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Spent 3 days in this wonderful b&b in josef franz, NZ. Thought it would be rustic but was in for a pleasant surprise. Used 3 coach rooms for family of 6. Rooms were huge. Internet access provided (do not know why it was not advertised). Breakfast (combination of continental and made to order) was excellent. Owner Kaz's suggestions of hikes and restaurants were spot on. Easy access to Josef Franz and Fox glaciers. Kids liked playing with lodge dog Benson.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jordan W
Westwood0112, Owner at Westwood Lodge- A Select Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Jordon & Family

Many thanks for taking the time to review your expereince of your recent stay with us during the festive season. We are delighted that you & your family enjoyed your stay with us & ir was a pleasure meeting you all.

Benson - the Lodge Labradoodle certainly missed all the games & affention from your girls.

Best wishes for 2014

Regards
Kaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

After the long drive from Punakaiki to Franz Josef, I wanted a place to put up my feet, have a cup of coffee, and rest a bit before exploring this glacier village. Little did I know that I was in for a surprise. For its steep price, I expected the Westwood Lodge where I booked a room to be not only comfortable but luxurious. What I got instead was an expensive and disappointing motel with a sorely inflexible service.
I arrived at Westwood Lodge around 1pm but was told curtly by one of the staff that check-in time is 2 pm. I was told to drive around for an hour and come back. Ok, I drove again, tired as I already am. I went back at 1:54 but Kaz, the manager/owner, was still reluctant to check me in because it’s not yet 2 pm. Wow, I didn’t know this Lodge is a stickler for time precision.
Like her staff member, Kaz was also rude and unwelcoming. Without first checking on my room reservation, she quickly said that “we need to talk since there are 3 or 4 of you”. Even before I could open my mouth and explain why I only booked one room for me, my wife and my young son, she repeatedly maintained that “you have to have two rooms since there are 3 or 4 of you” (my wife and my son did not get out of the car yet). I think she already judged the number of people in the car from a few feet away. So, she forced me to book another suite for my son, because according to her, the suites are “absolutely for two people only.”
In the past, and staying in five-star hotels, I have sorted this out by requesting the staff to bring in a foldable single bed, especially if the room is spacious, and paying extra for it. In Westwood Lodge, the room is pretty spacious. In my many years of travel, this is the first time that I have been met with stiff and bristly resistance to my family’s needs. For my young son to come along on this trip, I had to pay for an extra suite and breakfast for four people (the other suite accommodate 2 persons as well). Westwood Lodge, though roomy, is certainly not a good lodging for a family stay, unless you don’t mind wasting money on extra rooms.
The only good thing about Westwood Lodge is the great view. But then again this is New Zealand and most hotels, motels or lodges tend to have good views. I have travelled from the north to the south island in beautiful New Zealand and I can tell you that Westwood Lodge is my least favourite lodging. I will not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 996Travelbug97
Westwood0112, Owner at Westwood Lodge- A Select Hotel, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Mr Sim

Thank you for you feed back regarding your recent stay with us here at Westwood Lodge.

Unfortunately we were unable to check you into your room early as we were wtill in the process of finishing the cleaning & setting up of our rooms for our arriving guests.
Westwood Lodge has a slightly more relaxed checkout toime of 11am which means that rooms are not alway ready for arriving guest until 2pm. When you made you reservation via booking.com had you requested an early check in time we would have endeavoured to ensure that your room was ready for your early arrival.
Each of our rooms can accommodate a maximum of 2 guests & extra beds are not available This is also clearly stated on booking.com & on your confirmation documentation along with our child policy: children over the age of 10 years are welcome.

Upon yor arrivial our staff politely suggested you may wish to drive a further couple of minutes into Franz Josef & suggested cafe options for lunch or coffee while we finshed setting up your room.
When you arrived back here at Westwood at 1.54pm your room was ready for you & you were more than welcome to checkin, You had hoped to be able to accommodate you son in the same room & this was not possible. however as we discussed a discounted rate for the second room was offered & given. I was also able to move my existing bookings around to ensure that your rooms were next to each other.
When you made your booking or at any time up to 2 days prior to your arrival had you either contacted booking.com or emailed Westwood Lodge regarding the possiblility of having your son stay in the same room as you you would have been advised that this would not be possible & you would have been able to canel your reservation without incuring any fees/penalties or book an additional room.
It was unfortunate that the weather also didn't allow for your flight. But I am pleased you were able to enjoy the view from you room prior to your departure the next day.

I do hope you have had a happy Christmas & are enjoying some sunny weather in Queenstown.

Best Wishes
Kaz Gilmore
Louisville, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Simply stunning in every detail. The photos online are representative. Kaz is a gracious hostess and the lodge is beautiful in every detail.

We had her largest suite and it was well worth the cost. Spacious bath, bedroom and study thoughtfully appointed. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrontRangeTraveler
Westwood0112, Owner at Westwood Lodge- A Select Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Michael & Mary

Many thanks for your kind words. It was our pleasure hosting you hear at Westwood Lodge & I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. It was unfortunate that the weather did not permit you to get on a Heli Hike. The Ice Explorer while possibly a little more strenuous is definately a good alternative. Best wishes for the Festive Season & should you ever be traveling this way again we hope to welcome you back to Westwood Lodge

Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Amazing, cozy place, perfect for relaxation, lovely breakfast every morning, located in a beautiful country side spot and on top of that you get the chance to meet very friendly dog called Benson.
Highly recommend !!!
Justyna

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank JustynaMBrodzka
Westwood0112, Owner at Westwood Lodge- A Select Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Justyna & Sam

Thank you for taking the time share your experience of your stay here at Westwood Lodge.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, Along with all the staff Benson the Lodge Labradoodle also enjoys meeting & entertaining our guests.
Best wishes for a safe jouney back home & should you ever be in the Glacier Region again we hope to welcome you back to Westwood Lodge.

Kind Regards
Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I am not sure why some reviews are complaining about the meals offered in this place, maybe they came at a different time, but this B&B is amazing.

The cabin feel to it is phenomenal, you really get the whole feel of being in the mountains. The host is very very helpful, she can recommend a lot of things to do in the area.

The breakfast was delicious, the rooms are beyond comfortable and the view from the room is breath taking

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hmansouri
Westwood0112, Owner at Westwood Lodge- A Select Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Hassen & Hana

Thank you for taking the time to review & share your experience of Westwood Lodge.
Firstly it was a pleasure meeting you both & being able to help you arrange a fun morning out on a Quad Bike Adventure. Great to hear you enjoyed your breakfast each morning & what a bonus the weather clearing for you so you could enjoy the fantastic alpine & glacier view from your room. I'm sure you will enjoy the your time in the Arthurs Pass & then Christchurch.
Once again many thanks for staying with us & safe travels home.

Kind Regards
Blenheim, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is one of the best stays I have had especially off the beaten track. Everything is thought of. Heated bathroom floor, large bed, internet, fruit and a biscuit, large well appointed spacious rooms. I would like to thank our hostess for looking after us so well. She made the whole experience that much more memorable. The breakfasts were just right. The lounge area was fantastic with the views of Mt Cook with great company drinking beautiful wine in front of the open fire. Thank-you for everything. I will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 57Lee19157
Landau in der Pfalz, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

I've been in a lot of hotels during the last years and this one belongs to the top two. They took care of every detail in their large rooms, i.e. where else would you find two different kind of fresh milk in your refrigerator when you arrive? All rooms were completely renewed and equipped, Staff is friendly, the breakfast covers all needs and the atmosphere in the lobby is absolutely unique. Unfortunately we could stay only one day. But we will come back. It will be hard for any B&B to be better than this one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family