I have just had another look at their website to make sure that I stayed at the correct motel. I still only vaguely recognise it. This was a last minute booking trying to get one night between Xmas and New Year. I didn't mind paying NZD 190 for the two of us as it looked quite up market. The reality was different. On arrival we were shown to a downstairs apartment. The small patio was backed by "Punga Fern" after which the motel is named. Unfortunately it cut out most of the light and the room was really dark and gloomy. We had to hang around in reception until somebody appeared again and we then asked to be moved and we were told that all the rooms were the same. We then stated that it just wasn't good enough and suddenly an upstairs room became instantly available. While this made a big difference to the amount of light there was nothing special or up market about the place and the TV barely worked and came out of a museum. The location is fine, near the local restaurants but there are plenty of other places with equally good locations. We won't be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Punga Grove offers stylish motel accommodation in the heart of Franz Josef Glacier village. Set amongst beautiful native bush with the lush rainforest at your doorstep with a stunning backdrop of high alpine peaks, Punga Grove is your natural West Coast accommodation choice for your stay in Glacier Country in New Zealand. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Punga Grove Motel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Punga Grove Hotel Franz Josef
- Punga Grove Motel And Suites