“lovely cosy cabin”
Review of Rainforest Retreat

Rainforest Retreat
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Franz Josef
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had a "Gecko Cabin" and it was lovely. This location offers different types of accomodation and as such is quite busy. These cabins are a little away from the main area and so are quiet. Very clean and cosy. The rain on the night we stayed added to the ambience. Would have liked to stay longer. We had a good meal in the on site restaurant as well. Whilst the parking is very tight and we had a little walk to the cabin, it was nice not to have cars coming and going up close to the cabin. Only people staying in the cabins had reason to walk in the area around them.

Room Tip: The "Gecko Cabin" was quiet, clean and cosy.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
RainforestFranzJosef, General Manager at Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Hi Jenny
Thank you for you review. I am so happy that you love our Gecko Cottages as much as I do.
I hope the rest of your travels were as equally enjoyable and hope you can make it back to us one day.
Cheers

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We arrived to The Rainforest retreat and got our rooms, which were clean and tidy with nice ensuite. Went round to the Kitchen was the most disgusting place I have ever seen, there was not a single place you could sort food out let alone prepare or cook it. All the bins over flowing, washing up everywhere, dirty cups clearly had been there since the morning/night before! So gross!! I went to reception and the response was and I quote "not much we can really do"??!!! The next morning nothing had been touched not a single spoon had been cleaned, again went to reception and the response "well we do have a cleaner twice a day" in my honest opinion there was no way anyone had been near the place for at least 48hrs.... :(
We decided it was best to get out and eat somewhere clean! The bar/restaurant area is nice mostly aimed at 18-25yr old as the games are all based around getting totally wrecked as quickly a possible - which was ok I guess....
We decided to go into Franz and enjoy a meal and few drinks off site and was pleasantly surprised. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Julie
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you liked your room and found it clean and tidy. Naturally i am upset you didn't feel the same about our communal kitchen. I can assure you it is cleaned regularly throughout the day and promise you it was cleaned numerous times during your stay. Unfortunately the dirty washing up you encountered was from a group of our other guests who clearly didn't have any respect for others and left a terrible mess. I am aware of when you stayed and what happened and have since made several changes to our procedures to ensure no further issues arise.
I hope you can make it back to us again one day and show you what you should have experienced.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a camper and loved the privacy the leafy bays provided us. The monsoon bar had great food and we loved being within walking distance of the hot pools. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves but you should be aware that contiki buses are regular visitors which can make the bar quite rowdy. We didn't have any noise complaints however. Would deifnitely reccomend!

Room Tip: Some of the camper sites weren't as shielded as others. Try and get one with foliage on three si...
Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

For my holiday in N.Z. I booked nine rooms via the web, and my one night stay at the Rainforest Retreat was by far and away the worst. My problems started soon after I checked in, my room was on the other side of a block of rooms that face Reception. While I was collecting my key, a coach had parked end of the block almost stopping me from getting to my room, there was just enough space for my car to squeeze by. After staying in my room half an hour or so, I decided drive into Franz Josef to have a meal, only to discover that the coach was still parked. As I maneuvered, once again, around the back of the coach, I was shocked to find another coach had parked and totally block my way. I received a poor response from Reception, I was told that coaches were allowed to park just to unload, and got no answer to my question” how long does that take, as one coach had already been parked for more than half an hour. Although the coach drivers knew I was waiting, they couldn’t have cared less, it was another three quarters of an hour or so, before they decided to move.
Not a good start, but it gets worst. The passengers of the coaches were all young people and it seems to me that they all headed straight for the bar. At 1.30am I was woken by the noise coming from the bar area, loud music etc. etc. which was more than excessive. At 2.00am I discover that there is no sound proofing between my room and the one above. When the occupants returned from bar and I could hear everything they said and did.
Now for the Superior Ensuite Queen room. As I entered the room carrying a jacket I quickly discovered there is nowhere to hang a jacket or anything else for that matter. This Superior room was the smallest room I use in N.Z. and in my view was too small two people. It was just big enough for a double bed and at the end of the bed was a small gap then one collapsible luggage rack and a sort of breakfast bar, under which was a fridge and the only seat in the room, a bar stool.
The ensuite is long and narrow, at one end is the shower cubicle and at the other is the toilet. In the middle is the smallest wash hand basin I have ever seen. There is just one glass shelve and that is over the toilet and had spare toilets rolls and shampoos etc. on it. So even simple things like teeth cleaning were difficult as there was nowhere to put toothpaste, let alone the contents of a wash bag.
There are tea & coffee facilities, but the kettle can only be filled by using a coffee mug. Available among the teas and coffees is coffee for a plunger, but there is no plunger in the room. I could go on.
The only good thing I can say about The Rainforest Retreat is the location, surrounded by and built into the rainforest.
If you do decide to book a room avoid a Superior Ensuite Queen Room because it is not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank R H J
RainforestFranzJosef, General Manager at Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Mr Jones
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for offering your feedback. I am sorry that you weren't 100% satisfied with your stay. We appreciate all feedback and will use your points to keep improving for our future guests.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Our room, #22, was away from most of the hotel rooms and was something of a suite with a bump-out window that we could view the rainforest from. Also several balconies and nooks to sit in and experience the rainforest that was just a few feet away from our room. We really were almost inside the bush! We loved this separation from the rest and being part of the bush. Nice clean room, fridge and little kitchen with coffee and tea makings. It rained deluges in the 2 days we had here, but we were totally warm and dry here. We didn't love the bar/restaurant, but there were several great ones in walking distance in the rest of Franz Joseph. All in all, for the cost of the room. it was more than adequate and had the charm of the rainforest. Staff seemed perfectly nice but we didn't use them for much.

Room Tip: We heard some rooms are loud. Ask about locations and proximity to bush.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Malegardner
Many thanks for such a great review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your tree lodge room so much. I hope you can make it back to us again one day.
Happy travels

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a very nice stay at this hotel and the staff Mel and Jon was so nice. They reserved a double room at a lodge for us in Queenstown, as it was difficult to find a room by ourselves, so they used all their connections.

Room Tip: It is a busy town due to the nature, therefore make a reservation here, it is cheap compared to the...

Hi Neilsen
Thank you for your great review. I will be sure to pass on your praise to Mel & Jon, i know they will appreciate it.
Cheers

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We travelled around NZ for a number of weeks. this was the most over-rated motor-home site in otherwise wonderful set of experiences. We were there for two nights. One has a sense that the owners want to maximize profit by emphasizing the wonderful rain forest location. The primary problems are two: the motor-home sites are terribly cramped. That is number one. And then, number two: no attention to the details that matter for motor-home travelers. examples? two motor-homes barely fit in the two-motor home sites. so the visitors negotiate the spaces; in some sites each has a table with two chairs, in others not; There are no screens in the so-called temporary shower (so bugs share the shower); They clean the place randomly - so sometimes toilet filthy sometimes clean; the sinks in temporary showers are squeezed one by the other so no sense of privacy when using them. Women's shower do not have screen so water splashes on floor where you eventually dry off. I could go on and on.

In short - mediocre place that is location location location. Recommend seeking a place that is more user-friendly.

Dear Dan
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay at the Rainforest Retreat Holiday Park.
I wish you had mentioned to our staff that you felt the site we allocated to you was tight as we would have more than happily moved you to a site more appropriate.
We clean our facilities regularly, unsure as to why you feel that is random?
All of our showers have either shower doors or curtains in a private lockable cubicle but the sinks are side by side.