“Rainforest Retreat”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Franz Josef
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Rainforest Retreat”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Great staff, great food, great room! The staff were very helpful with lots of last minute changes and when I got there they upgraded us for free as I had stayed there a few times before. The pizza was fantastic and we had an amazing time. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
RainforestFranzJosef, General Manager at Rainforest Retreat, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hi OneLove
Thank you for the great review. We do pride ourselves on offering great service and again I will pass your praise on to our staff. I agree with you also about the tasty pizza, I too love them which really isn't helping the waistline!
I hope you had a great trip home
Oscar Morgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 July 2014

At first rainforest retreat seems like a very pleasant and welcoming place to stay, with nice looking chalets, a pub/restaurant on site and a hot tub.. All these things are brilliant, but it comes at quite a price. Terrible service from most staff, with arrogant and sarcastic remarks being their first language. On immediate arrival what appeared to be the owner seemed like a lovely man, with nothing but a helping hand. That is until you need help.. When going to reception to ask for an extra heater as the room was quite large and freezing, the female was more than happy to help.. The manager however with a disgusted look on his face said that we should be patient and allow the one small fan heater the size of a loaf of bread to heat the entire room. Luckily the woman gave us one anyway! Being shouted at for asking how much a glass of wine was, and ridiculed for not knowing the house specials (how dare I) meant that the large group of us cut our night short. Over hearing the bald bearded bar tender calling one of the customers a stupid bit@h was one of the more pleasant comments from my two night stay.. I would never return to this place which is a massive shame as the facilities aren't too bad. We may be backpackers, but we are the ones who fill the beds and pay our way just like everyone else! Unbelievably disappointed!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hlou30
Hi Hlou30
Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Rainforest Backpackers. I am aware you were here with the same group and room as Mark J who's review below i have already replied to. As i've said before I am naturally shocked to read your comments, my team and I are very customer serviced focused and aim to exceed customer expectations, I hope the warm welcome I gave you reflected this.
I sincerely apologize if my look offended you whilst our receptionist was fetching you another heater. I have spoken to james our bar manager who I am convinced would never insult a guest. As we already know some of your group had turned on the staff and I can only assume that you may well have overheard a private conversation and for this i am sorry. I have welcomed 10'000's of guest each year and unfortunately found your group to be one of the rudest and difficult I can remember. All of our staff aim to offer fantastic customer service but when we are being treated disrespectfully it is sometimes very hard to keep that smile up. I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations and I hope the rest of your trip was a little more enjoyable.
queenstown
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was a unique place to stay. It offers everything from low budget campervan sites and motel rooms to modern houses. We chose the tree lodge which was upstairs so it looked out into the midst of the surrounding trees, each unit is private because everything is set amongst the trees. We stayed in winter when there were plenty of special deals so cost was very reasonable. It was clean, warm and comfortable and just loved our little bush walk to our unit, especially at night with the lights in the bush. The staff were all very nice and we were thrilled we were able to take our little dog. It is conveniently located within a couple of minutes walk to shops restaurants and cafes, the hot pools over the road and kiwi centre nearby. It also provides a restaurant and bar which we appreciated and I think sauna and spa which we did not use. I can see it would be very popular in summer, we appreciated the peace and tranquility during the coldest month of the year.

Room Tip: Our tree lodge was in the thick of the bush away from the driveway and motels and camping areas whic...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
RainforestFranzJosef, Front Office Manager at Rainforest Retreat, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hi Claire
Many thanks for your lovely review. It was nice to meet you and your little dog. I'm glad you all had a great time in our tree lodge and I hope we will see you back here again before too long.
I hope you had a good trip home to queenstown.
Regards
Becky Percy
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Me and a friend stayed here while on the Kiwi Experience. It had great facilities ie. kitchen, bar, restaurant, hot tub. But was pretty expensive for travellers. They were strict on having your own alcohol on the premisses, which meant we had to drink at the bar which was expensive being a traveller. We were only here for a night but I think if we weren't doing the kiwi experience then we wouldn't have stayed here. Also dorm rooms were average, probably not worth what you pay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Geepea
Thank you for staying with us at the Rainforest Backpacker, I am pleased you found it a very nice place to stay. I feel $28 for a dorm bed with the superior bedding and facilities we have to offer represents good value. I hope the rest of your kiwi trip was a great time.
Cheers
Oscar
Brunswick, Ohio
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I ended up at this hostel because it's where the Kiwi bus goes, but I imagine the other hostels in the town might be better. For the most part, this one is fine- good location, fun bar with competitions and prizes (and all you can eat pizza nights), and a big kitchen. However, my main complaint was that I freezing all the time! The rooms managed to hold heat ok, but the hallways were so cold always, and this was only just going into winter. The door to the outside was usually open, and I dreaded having to leave the room to use the bathroom because of the cold. Also, I just don't really like hostels where you have to go outside to get to the other facilities (kitchen, laundry, etc.) when it's in a location with a chillier climate. Also, no alcohol of your own, and they DO check the rooms and do multiple sweeps at night.

My positive comments though are that the reception staff was super friendly and helpful, and there is an adorable and very cuddly cat on the premises who will happily curl up on the couch with you for ages. :-)

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Maria
Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us at the Rainforest Backpackers. Firstly thank you for your fantastic and positive comments about our staff. I have passed your praise on to them. I have noted your comments about the hallway being cold. I have already instructed our builder to ensure the doors can't be left open to keep the warmth in and I have purchased some additional heaters for the corridor.
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Kitchen was great, plenty of room! We were in dorms which were fine. The shared showers for this weren't hot though which was a shame. The staff are lovely. I think the managers name is George and he is awesome. The Pizza night is good fun and you can iterally have as much as you like. Love the bar set up and the big fires, so cosey especially seen as it did rain the whole time we were there. Hot tub was good, could have been a bit warmer though. Lovely hostel. Would return if i was coming back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Kimberley
Thank you for reviewing your stay a the Rainforest Backpackers. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the monsoon restaurant. I have passed your praise on to our staff who were delighted to have such great feedback.
Kind regards
Oscar (not George) ;-)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in one of the private cabins here in March and were more than impressed with our stay. The facilities were spotless and it was all very modern and new, the location is beautiful and a really convenient spot in the centre of town with only a few minutes walking to all of the bars and shops. The staff were also very attentive and helpful during our stay, they ensured we had everything we needed and also recommended some lovely local walks. I would advise any family or friends to stay here as we enjoyed ourselves so much here!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Carlygreggs
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Rainforest Retreat and for your lovely review. I am very pleased that you found our staff so helpful and our facilities so good. Thank you for recommending us to others. I hope we will see you back here again one day,