“Gr888 hostel ”
Review of Rainforest Retreat

Rainforest Retreat
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Franz Josef
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

The hostel is central to the beautiful town of Franz Joseph. The kitchen was massive with plenty of utensils and the resident fat ginger cat wandering around, which I loved! The hostel had a really good bar and restaurant with a great atmosphere- probably the best in town. One piece of advice would be to definitely opt for the more expensive dorms as opposed to the cheaper dorms, as they are a lot better. We stayed in the cheapest. It was a 5 bed dorm, dingy and small, and one of the beds was just 2 mattresses piled on top of each other! The wifi was average. They also have a massive hot tub and really helpful & friendly receptionists. Best place to stay in Franz Joseph.

Stayed: July 2014
RainforestFranzJosef, General Manager at Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi Cimmmy
Thanks for the Gr888 review! i am so pleased you enjoyed your stay in our hostel so much. Since you have left we have increased our wifi speeds and decorated our 5 bed dorms, sorry about the 2 mattresses, that one is a mystery but we are in the process of ensuring all our dorm beds have superior mattresses and believe we will have the comfiest dorm beds in the country.
I hope you can make it back to us again soon
Happy travels.
Oscar Morgan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stumbled across this one as we got lost looking for a campsite. They were very helpful, and, due to them just finishing signing in a large group from the kiwi tours, they gave us a very quiet room (upgrading us for free) to make sure we weren't disturbed too much. The facilities were good (only gripe was that there was no oven in the kitchen., decent ensuite, good location, very close to town. Heard good things about the restaurant but didn't go as it seemed expensive and lacked veggie options for the girlfriend. Also, the wifi signal was so bad we were told not to bother buying it, but local cafés have free wifi.

Room Tip: Go further from the central court area - quieter!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi KeyworkSioni
Many thanks for your review and choosing to stay with us. I am pleased you stumbled through our door and enjoyed it so much. We do have a small bench top oven in our communal kitchen. The wifi has been greatly improved since you stayed. I hope you can make it back to us again before too long.
Happy travels

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We spent a night in The Rainforest Retreat and it was awesome! The staff were friendly from the start, asking what our plans were and if we needed help getting around.
The rooms were spotless and cosy. The room we had was sensational value for money with plenty of heat on a canny chilly night!
After a long day of working we were greeted in the bar. Excellent beer, and food (mostly beer) of a high standard. The staff were hilarious, helpful and mega friendly ( Jo was professional and very welcoming). We played bingo, mingled and had a great night.
Whatever your reasons for staying, The Rainforest retreat is guaranteed to match your preferences. (Including hot tub) Thanks guys

Room Tip: Depends what you want. They have many options!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Andrew
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am so pleased to hear that you had such a great time here. We shouted Jo a few beers for getting a shout out, she was very happy.
I hope you can make it back to us again soon.
Happy travels

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The retreat is not the luxury rainforest retreat as advertised, however is still nice. Lots of young people around who were a bit noisy so not really the romantic retreat its made out to be (unless you are under 30). We did however think the accommodation was good and the tree house we stayed in was a nice log cabin with everything you need. Not sure would stay again and a few middle aged people in campervans left in the middle of the night due to the noise but its a very nice place for young people I would imagine. The girl running the place is just a delight.

Room Tip: Choose the tree house cabins
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Racheal
Many Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for your review. I am sorry if you were expecting more luxury. I do beleive our website photos are very accurate of our rooms and I was pleased to hear you liked your room. We do cater to guests of all ages, budgets and needs, I hope the sight of young people didn't spoil your romance to much. I am not aware of anyone leaving in the night, and find it very unlikely as our campervan park is in the most remote area of the park. I hope you can make it back to us again soon.
Happy travels.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This place is so well set up its hard to believe you are camping - or in our case camper-vanning!

Totally organised, awesome bar and restaurant with a great atmosphere, fabulous food and excellent shower and toilet facilities that are heated (did I mention they are heated!?)

The only problem with this place is that the rest become soooooo disappointing!

Room Tip: Not sure what the rooms are like as we had a powered campervan site but I imagine they are as good a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Jo
Wow! what a brilliant review. Its great to hear we have set the bench mark so high. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time here in your campervan and I hope you get the opportunity to make it back to us again soon.
Happy Travels

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for four nights here while visiting beautiful Franz Josef. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Prices were reasonable for bag packers and the cabins were nice and roomy. Kitchens were cleaned every morning and they have a cosy TV lounge to relax and chill. Plus they've got a free sauna/hot pool for cold travellers to escape the winter chills!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Alvin
Thank you for the great review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your 4 nights with us and hope you get the opportunity to make it back to us soon.
Happy Travels

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Unfortunately the other negative reviews left here regarding the bad service are accurate. I agree that on first impressions, the owner was extremely welcoming and friendly. I did have a problem with the heating as well but found the receptionist lady very helpful. She sorted the problem immediately with a replacement heater.

The major problems with service, I found, were with the bar staff. On my first's nights stay they were extremely drunk but very friendly and even gave me cheap drinks outside of happy hour and free shots! The next night, the Canadian bar man specifically was the complete opposite, rude, obnoxious and offensive to the whole group, not just myself. What surprised me the most was that the owner, who was previously so helpful and friendly sat at the bar while this was all happening and said or did absolutely nothing! At that point he had a prime opportunity to take his employee to one side and speak to him regarding his inappropriate behaviour, but he chose to simply ignore it.

I can see from Oscar's response to previous reviews, he since then, has also chosen to dismiss the situation and has refused to take responsibility for his own and his staff's behaviour. As well as that he's added further insults to his paying guests. Absolutely unacceptable and outrageous behaviour. I am personally disgusted as I'm sure many others are. Oscar and certain members of his team clearly has a very warped view of what of good customer service should look like.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
RainforestFranzJosef, General Manager at Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear jpgwood87
I have just read your review and I find it extremely upsetting. I am sincerely sorry that you feel this way towards me and my staff. I can assure you I would never dismiss any comment that suggest we don't offer anything but great customer service. I know and feel I demonstrate the importance of offering great service, as you witnessed when you arrived. I am shocked that you feel I failed after this. I can assure you I did not witnessed any act of offensive behaviour from the bar staff. If I had I can assure you it would have been dealt with. I do believe that our canadian bar man in his last shifts has upset some of our guests, and for this I am extremely sorry. His last shift was friday 27th June. when did you stay? Up until this time he had received much positive feedback as do all of our staff.

It is sometimes hard for guests reading reviews and my replies to know what further actions have been taken. It is also very hard to respond when i'm only given a few snippets of information. I would like to invite you to get in touch with me personally as I want to understand more about your stay.

Yours is the 3rd such review I believe all stemming from the same event, thankfully in amongst 100's that praise our customer service. I did get in touch with the 1st negative reviewer as I wanted to talk to him, to apologize in person and to find out the circumstances around his complaint. Unfortunately they chose not to get back to me. I know that the second reviewer is travelling with them and I am happy to talk to anyone else within their group who isn't happy.

If you or anyone else would like to discuss this further please e-mail me: oscar@rainforestretreat.co.nz

Kind Regards