“Good pizza”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This is our go to place when we visit Franz Josef. We dined here one night during our most recent visit and quite enjoyed our pizza, although it's not cheap ($33). We shared a large 1/2 and 1/2 which was more than enough for two hungry hikers.

1  Thank Melnq8

Reviewed 13 April 2011

Made a late booking at Blue Ice for an evening Meal and had we both had great meals with great service.
We subsequently went back for afternoon coffees and a late lunch - again, the service was excellent.

1  Thank tetley62
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We stayed in Franz Josef for two days. The manager of our Motel recommended the Blue Ice Café and my wife and I tried it for dinner one afternoon at about 17:00. What a disappointment! The first problem was that the Martini I ordered was not as listed. It was listed on the menu with Bombay Sapphire Gin. I observed the woman at the bar (who apparently was the manager since she collected all the cash…) that she replaced the expensive Gin with a very inexpensive one. When challenged she simply responded “we mix this all the time”. Even though she re-mixed the drink, this should not happen!
I had the braised lamb shank for dinner. It was still cold in the center and the outside was dry and hard in places. It felt like as if it had been under a heating lamp for too long. I can only hope that the new crew of personnell starting at 18:00 was more honest and attentive than the people who were there at 17:00 (the person mixing the drinks and dealing with the cash, however, remained the same….).

2  Thank riftia
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Had lunch here on a rainy afternoon in November sitting outside on their terrace - food was truly excellent and possibly the best meal that I had during my whole trip around the South Island. Really recommend this place - apparently (from speaking to others) dinner is even better.

Reviewed 23 December 2010

After 2 weeks in New Zealand we found the food to be expensive and disappointing. So we were hesitant about this restaurant and actually went in just for a long white and stayed for lamb shanks for the wife and a rack of lamb for me. One of the best meals for our entire month and very a reasonable price.