“Okay, not for me.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Macon
“Okay, not for me.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

So I'm normally a budget traveler but my organization booked this room for me to attend a conference. You have to pay for wi-fi and the continental breakfast is not free. I've stayed in cleaner Super 8's for 1/2 the price with a bigger pool, free wifi and breakfast. Hilton, get over yourself.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jonathan A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms so I apologize that we fell short with your experience. I assure you this is not the norm. I also wanted to apologize that you were not aware that we do offer complementary high speed wired and wireless internet. We do also offer an upgraded tier for just $4.95 to accommodate larger movie downloads, video conferencing, etc. While we do not offer a continental breakfast, our cooked to order breakfast is a great value at only $9.95. Our chef will prepare anything for you from omelets to pancakes, poached eggs or French toast or anything else you can imagine. It is all you can eat including fresh fruits, yogurt, pastries, and all of your beverages. We do also offer rates that include this awesome breakfast so we do hope you will come back and see us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Carrollton, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel to attend a conference near the coliseum in Macon which was about 8 minutes away. I was very pleased with the service and the overall hotel. The room was very clean and the bathroom had Neutrogena soap and Bath and Body Works shampoo. All of the staff members were very helpful. The pool was clean and I wished that I had brought my swimsuit. I ran through the campus at Mercer University and it was very beautiful. The tennis courts were close to the hotel and could probably be used by hotel guests if they didn't mind walking over there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Waynesville, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed there with a coworker for a trip to Robins AFB. Somehow hotels in Warner Robins don't have the Government per diem rate so we had to stay in Macon. The drive each day wasn't bad though and it was convenient for driving to dinner in Macon. I know it is just the hotel, but I'm always bummed when staying at a Hilton Garden Inn because breakfast isn't included. I was glad to see that cups and coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc were available each morning though. It is right next to Mercer University so I was able to job around campus right from the hotel which was nice. September at the front desk was especially friendly and helpful with dinner suggestions. She goes out of her way to make guests feel valued so I hope management praises/rewards her for that. I would definitely recommend others considering this hotel to stay here. The only reason it has a 4 star instead of 5 is because the sound proofing is terrible. I could hear the gentleman next door talking on the phone to a lady! But other than that, the hotel was great.

Room Tip: ask for a room with no next-door neighbor. it is a great hotel but the sound proofing is horribe.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

I usually stay at the Hampton when I go through Macon twice a year but wanted to give this a try because I like HGI's a lot and it's on the campus of my wife's alma mata. My reservation called for a Jr. Suite with breakfast. I got a regular room and no breakfast. I did get a smoking room but there were no ash trays. Went to the desk and they weren't sure where to get ash trays. Then one of the girls remembered there was one near by so she went, cleaned it and gave it to me. Not that this is a big deal but didn't get welcomed as a Hilton Honors member, which is nice. It usually means a free bottle of water, but not here. No news paper in the morning either. I decided to eat here as I was tired and the burger was beyond greasy. I think I gave the HGI at Roanoke Rapids, NC 5 stars all the way and that included eating there. Everybody was friendly and very nice and of course it was clean and the setting on campus is pretty, it's just I expect more from a HGI and don't feel I got it here. It is NOT a bad place to stay, I just think it needs a little work getting reservations correct and ungreasing the burger. Didn't eat breakfast because I was disappointed they screwed up my reservation so I can't rate that.

Room Tip: Make sure you have your confirmation with package with you. I didn't say anything because I did...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
CarolinaPacko,

I want to apologize for all of the issues you had while you were visiting us this spring. I am not sure what happened with your reservation but I would love to discuss your problems with you in person. We do not have any smoking suites in the hotel so that might have been where the staff was confused; however, that is no reason to make sure you don’t get exactly what you expected when you made your reservation. We have recently introduced a new dinner menu that I think you would be pleased with. Please feel free to call the hotel and speak with me so we can make your stay right! We do look forward to being able to welcome you back the next time you are visiting Mercer University.
Canton, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

Our family took advantage of the location of this hotel for the National History Day competition. For that, it was perfect. The breakfast is average hotel breakfast fare, slightly overpriced, especially if you have dietary restrictions and can't eat most of what they offer. The service, however, was great.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

I'm used to staying at 4-5 star hotels but in Macon I didnt have much of a choice and was getting ready for an OK stay. I was certainly wrong, very nice and very pristine. They are doing a great job here. Each and every question I asked, they were more than happy to answer. Even asking me if I was trying to find something to do tonight. I was so very pleased. 1 thing I wasn't fond of was the beds, slightly to firm even after adjusted but not a big deal at all. A 3 star hotel with 5 star qualities.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wynton H
Pickens, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and it was conveniently located to the places we wanted to visit. We would definitely stay here again. We were only about 20 minutes away from some good restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple