“Best Stay in Macon” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Macon
Orange Park, Florida
“Best Stay in Macon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Beautiful... I went to the 1842 Inn as part of my 25 year anniversary Travels... I stayed in the Macon Room... this place is Amazing, and the Staff is simply amazing and very helpful. Loved everything about this place... and it is only 15 miles away from Juliette Georgia which is where the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was filmed... we at at the Whistle Stop Cafe... Excellent

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Parrish, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I drive I75 frequently. We decided to stay at the 1842 Inn this trip because it was in a convenient place to stop. Macon is going to become a regular stop for us now. The Inn is only about 5 minutes off the highway, and it's far, far better than staying in some chain hotel on the interstate. Our room, Mercer, was huge. It was well furnished, clean and attractive. The bathroom was dated, but hey, the house is 170 years old! It was July, but we were able to eat breakfast outside on the patio, which we enjoyed. Breakfast was good, but not super special. The only problems at 1842 are problems common to all these old inns. Creaky floors, funny plumbing, few electrical outlets and such. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the place and will stay there again. But, readers should understand that it is an old building.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ParrishGuy
Cumming, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stopped at the 1842 Inn in Macon GA on our way back home to Atlanta. It is in the Historic District of Macon and surrounded by many other old Southern mansions. It is convenient to the downtown area and close to many nice restaurants. Our room was furnished with antiques but with upgraded beds and baths. Our bed was very comfortable and we really enjoyed a good night's sleep. We stayed in the 2nd house to avoid many stairs and the patio/garden area has the potential of being a beautiful area in which to dine or just relax. This is a Select Registry Inn so we knew it would be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

I took my daughter here on a trip from Atlanta to Tallahassee. Fell in love with the neighborhood right away! Warm welcome and fantastic hospitality. There are complimentary Horderves and a cash bar (generous pour on the wine). Went into town, which is extremely close, to the Barefoot Tavern for dinner and had the crab cakes and salmon salad. Funny because we're from the Northwest...anyway. It was great! Good service too. The town seems to roll up the sidewalks at 8PM on a Monday so nothing much going on. Went back to the Inn and had warm chocolate chip cookies. Next morning had a fab breakfast downstairs in the parlor. Tried the grits withe bacon eggs- lovely! Went for a walk around the neighborhood to check out the surrounding houses. I recommend doing that if you appreciate architecture and style. I will definitely stay here again when I'm in Macon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tikalove
Georgetown, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our drive down to Florida. The home is absolutely beautiful and the staff is very welcoming and friendly. The breakfast in the morning was very good and was served outside in a very beautifully landscaped patio. The biggest complaint is that when the staff member was showing us the rooms, one bedroom had a roach crawling on the floor and the room we stayed in had two roaches in the bathroom. I also felt like the price was too high compared to other bed and breakfasts we have stayed in (none of which have ever had roaches).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Heather G
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

This B&B oozes charm and personality. Gracious and helpful staff make you feel at home. Our room (Mercer) was large and comfortable. The bathroom has fluffy, peachy towels, so much nicer than the standard white. Four-poster bed was comfortable, even the pillows. Wifi worked well in the room. A tiny table parked in between the two chairs in the seating area would be welcome for a glass or wine or cup of coffee to relax with. It rained most of our visit, so no time spent in the garden or on the veranda, but the luscious smell of flowers greeted you from the grounds as you came and went.

Evening hospitality in the parlor included a small spread of hors-d'oeuvres and cash bar. The warm artichoke dip was fantastic; if no one else had been around, I would have eaten the whole container with a spoon. I also had a delicious mint julep, in the traditional silver cup, while enjoying conversation with other guests. It was the perfect end to a long day on the road.

Breakfast, delivered to the room after a call to make sure we were ready for it, was good. The scrambled eggs were fluffy, the muffin smelled wonderful, maybe gingerbread (it was my son's, so I don't know how it tasted, but he said it was good and he ate it all). My egg, bacon, cheese thing was cooked well, nice and fluffy, but with the first bite, all I noticed were the onions.

The 1842 Inn was built in 1842, and you can see signs of that throughout, from the heavy doors, abundance of small fireplaces, high ceilings, and woodwork. Unfortunately, one side effect of age is the creaking of the wood floors. Because we were on the second floor, no one bothered us, but when I walked across the room, I hoped no one was trying to sleep below us. That is a small thing compared to the overall charm of this inn.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bubbleslt
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The personal service and the homely historic setting were the clear highlights of our stay at 1842. College Street is definitely worth a stroll, for the wonderful local architecture. There were some lovely extra touches at the inn: early evening hors-d'oeuvres and a homely bar built into the sitting room. Check-in and evening service could possibly have been smoother if there had been an extra pair of hands on the staff, but this was a cosy B&B experience and so we were very happy with what we got. Breakfast in our room was decent enough, although given the price of the room, we might have expected a little more quality. We stayed in the old (main) building, and the air conditioning was somewhat noisy. Plus, anyone wishing to take a drink on the garden terrace would be well advised to pack insect repellent. There is wi-fi but we didn't use it. Not a five-star hotel, but definitely a five-star B&B, and we intend to return.

Room Tip: Booking on the inn's own web page means that you can choose your exact room on the basis of phot...