“Very clean hotel”

Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Port Stanley
“Very clean hotel”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at the Best Western Macon on our way back to Canada Mark was great on front desk we in our room in no time. Hotel was very quite and plenty of restaurants nearby good breakfast. Hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable. We would definitely stay their again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

ChristinaPalmerGM, General Manager at Best Western Inn & Suites of Macon, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your
stay was . We certainly appreciate your kind words
regarding Mark as well as the hotel. We look forward
to seeing you again.
Warmest Regards from The Entire Best Western Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Georgia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Although this is an older motel, it is very well maintained. All of the personnel we encountered were very friendly and the breakfast was very good (the saugage gravy and biscuits were some of the best I've ever eaten and that includes homemade).

The only downside I see is because this is a motel. I'm oncall for my job most nights and sometimes have to take calls while I'm traveling. Usually, I will just take my laptop to the Lobby and work on the problem there. But since this was a motel, the lobby was shutdown at 11:00 PM, leaving me with no place to go. Fortunately, the only call I got that night occurred before we went to bed, so it didn't bother my family. But because of this, I probably would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tjdmlhw
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay
was. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the hot breakfast.
We do close the front doors to the lobby at a certain time. However,
if you call down to the front desk clerk, I'm sure they wouldn't
mind some company . We hope you will reconsider staying with
us in the future.
Brandenburg, Kentucky
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here en route to Florida primarily for the convenient location off I-475. Room was adequate and the service was excellent. The breakfast menu was a nice change from the typical continental usually found at similar establishments. Would stay here again if ever back in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank armydude_52
ChristinaPalmerGM, General Manager at Best Western Inn & Suites of Macon, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
armydude_52,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on
your stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed
the hot breakfast as well as the hotel. We certainly
look forward to providing you with excellent customer
service in the future.
Smithfield, Kentucky
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This Best Western, although a bit older property, is clean and well kept. Great rates and excellent service. The rooms all open to the outside. This hotel charges a $10 fee for pets and is very pet friendly. The sink area is outside the shower and toilet area making it easier to get ready. They provide a hot breakfast consisting of bacon, eggs, waffles, biscuits and gravy. Along with many fruits, yogurt, breads etc. There is a microwave and refrigerator along with a coffee maker in the room for added convenience. A very easy location off I 75 with many restaurants nearby. A great stop on the way to and from FL. Very reasonable rates.....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kymgroadster
kymgroadster,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your
stay with us. We are happy to hear you were satisfied.
We hope you will choose to stay with us again if you
are ever going through Macon .
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We did not actually stay in this motel; although we had every intention of doing so. We selected this hotel based on TA reviews and the responses to those reviews by the Manager, Christina Palmer. If you read the review history of this hotel it is obvious that Ms Palmer is a very hands-on manager with a deep concern for satisfying her guests. The reviews, Ms Palmer's comments and a very attractive rate of about $67 were the factors we used to make our decision.

Having done so we booked our room online using the web site for this specific hotel. Immediately after doing this I called the hotel to confirm our reservation and insure that we would be placed in a smoke free room. I spoke first with Mark, who did not seem to understand what I needed to know. He transferred my call to Ms. Palmer. She must have been very busy and under great stress because she was immediately abrupt with me as she absolutely promised me that I did not have a reservation for the following evening because the hotel was completely occupied.

I was quite sure that although my online reservation went through without a problem, I would soon receive an email explaining that the hotel did not have a vacancy. Instead I received an email confirming my reservation and providing a confirmation number. I was then quite sure that the computer system was deliberately over-booking the hotel and became concerned that we would arrive late to discover we did not have a room and would then be sent to an inferior hotel.

I decided to call the hotel back to determine why my reservation had been processed and my credit card utilized when the General Manager had assured me that there were no rooms available. Mark answered the phone and was unable to understand my concern. After explaining the situation to him four times he looked up my name on his computer and confirmed that we did have a reservation. I asked him how that could have happened if the hotel was fully occupied before I made the reservation.

Mark could not explain this until he noticed that we were assigned to a "pet friendly room", which I saw when I made the initial reservation. I made four hotel reservations today and each hotel was designated as "pet friendly". I would have no reason to conclude that these hotels will smell bad because they are "pet friendly". At first Mark insisted that we could not really be assigned to this room because it was reserved for people with pets. Once I explored the fallacy of this reasoning with him, he changed his explanation, and said that guests with pets would find the room more appealing than those of us who do not travel with our pets.

I asked him if there was something wrong with the room, and he assured me that there was nothing wrong with the room. I asked him why he felt it necessary to explain that the room was "pet friendly". He said he did that so when we got to the hotel and were unhappy with the room we would have only ourselves to blame because we took a room that was "pet friendly" after we had been warned. I asked him if there was an odor in the room, and he assured me that there was no odor, but also acknowledged that he had never been in the specific rooms we were discussing.

Frustrated by this strange conversation I asked to speak to Christina again. It was 3pm, and Christina had left for the day. I asked Mark to give me Christina's cell phone number or call her and give her my telephone number. Mark rudely told me I could call tomorrow and speak with Christina. I assured him that this was not going to happen. Mark then announced that he did not have time to discuss my little ideas, and he hung up the telephone. I called him back and delivered the first ten minutes of my lecture on winning the trust of the hotel guest before he walks into your hotel. He was exceptionally rude and once again, hung up his telephone number.

I started an online search for Christina's cell phone number and five minutes later Christina called to see how she could help me. She was charming and personable.

I explained my confusion because the computer took my reservation when she had assured me that they did not have a single vacant room, and asked if there was any possibility that they had over-booked the hotel. She assured me that they never did this.

So my confusion continued because I had a reservation confirmation email and number, but it appeared that there was something undesirable about the room I had "selected". After several very direct questions Christina explained that they did not put people in "pet friendly" rooms if they did not have pets because people without pets were more sensitive to pet odors.

I asked her if the "pet friendly" rooms smelled badly and she hedged, but offered the information that the carpets were cleaned only every 6 months. Finally she admitted that they had put people without pets in "pet friendly" rooms and people had complained about the odor. She said that after many complaints on the internal survey guests complete for Best Western she had made the executive decision to restrict the use of the "pet friendly" rooms exclusively for people with pets. She assured me that I could still stay in the "pet friendly" room, but the hotel would not be responsible for the smells in the room because she had warned me.

Ultimately I reached the conclusion that the "pet friendly" rooms had a distinct pet odor, and since we do not enjoy the smell of urine and feces, I asked her to cancel my reservation and email me the cancellation number. This was 5 hours ago, and I have received nothing from the hotel to prove that I have cancelled the reservation.

In the many years I have stayed in hotels all over the world, I have never heard of a policy that restricted rooms to people who owned pets. I accept the policy, but I believe it should be clearly explained on the hotel web site.

The bottom line is that if all these strange little events had not happened today, if I had just written down my confirmation number and arrived at the hotel tomorrow evening I would have been forced to sleep in a room that smelled bad.

To prevent this happening to additional guests in the future I think the hotel should be much more transparent about the people they are willing to put in their "pet friendly" rooms. There should be a notice that "pet friendly" rooms are reserved for pet owners, and if a non-pet owner should end up in one of these rooms they should be informed of the odors in these rooms along with the policy of the hotel to manage customer complaints by pre-empting the complaint by warning guests when they register that the room will smell, thus making it impossible for a guest to complain once they walk into the room.

I still believe that this hotel is probably a good hotel and that it represents a good value for it's guests. Unless the hotel makes some type of effort to make sure that people understand that the "pet friendly" rooms smell, I think they should make potential guests aware of this before they make a reservation.

Frankly, although we have always owned pets, I would not stay in this "pet friendly" room with my pets. My dogs have been carefully trained, and the smell of urine in the room would confuse them as they associate that smell only with places that are approved for them to empty their bladders. I would not want to confuse my animal by taking her in this "pet friendly" room.

This is just a weird and confusing policy, and the deceptive behaviors of Mark and Christina only made it significantly more difficult to understand what was happening with the "pet friendly" rooms.

If you plan on staying in this hotel, I highly recommend that you make sure you have not been placed in a "pet friendly" room. The hotel policy of notifying guests at registration that they are assigned to a "pet friendly" room is unsatisfactory because it does not give guests the opportunity to locate more appropriate properties.

Between the generous smoking policy of this hotel and the issue of "pet friendly" rooms, I think the hotel should re-evaluate it's rules. I suspect that they would earn more money if they could maintain a high occupancy level, and offering smoking rooms and "pet friendly" rooms dramatically reduces the pool of appropriate guests that the hotel can attempt to acquire.

From a business perspective it makes no sense to have empty rooms that can only be used by a minority of the people who are traveling. Every night that these rooms are empty and the hotel is turning away guests who do not smoke or own pets they are losing the revenue they would generate if all of their rooms could be used by all of their guests.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Busy-retired
ChristinaPalmerGM, General Manager at Best Western Inn & Suites of Macon, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Busy-retired,
There was definately a mis communication on our initial phone
call. I understood you to say you were calling to check availability.
At that time I did indicate to you that we were already sold out of
all non smoking double and single rooms. You did indicate that
you were looking online and it said we had rooms available. I never
heard you say you had already made the reservation online. I did
not hear you ask to confirm a reservation you had already made.

Mark says he did tell you my business hours but also told you he
would hang up and have me call you which is what happened. As
all of the different phone calls were very lengthy trying to work this
out for you Mark was put in a very bad position because he had 3
other customer's at the hotel trying to check in. He even asked them
to wait while he called me to return your phone call which they were
nice enough to do .

i did indicate to you that you were welcome to stay in the pet
friendly room if you wanted to. We have four of those rooms
and they are sold out almost on a nightly basis. We rarely get
complaints on the smell of these rooms as we do extra cleaning
in them. We do have some walk in customers who choose to
stay in the pet friendly rooms because they are located on the
ground floor and they are always asked to go check the room
before checking into the hotel. A lot of people have allergies
or asthma and we have to be careful what rooms we allow
people to stay in. We would never continue to rent rooms that
we knew have an odor. We have an ozone machine and we
have sprays we can use to get rid of the odor if necessary. We
always block the room until the smell has been taken care of.
There was no way i could promise you that you would not
be able to tell an animal had been in the room.

As far as the smoking rooms go, we have plenty of people
who book the smoking rooms . Yes they do sit there on some
nights and do not get rented. However, if we convert to all
non smoking then we would have to turn away people who
call and ask for a smoking room.

As soon as I hung up with you I called Mark and he cancelled
your reservation and sent a cancellation email to the email
address you entered on your reservation. I'm sorry if it did
not come through for some reason but it has been cancelled.

Thank you for your suggestions, we will certainly look into
making things more clear as to the type of room people
are reserving. I hate that you were on the phone for over
an hour yesterday regarding this matter. I'm sorry I had
already left the hotel but I come in at 7am every day . I
hope you continue to consider Best Western for your
future traveling needs.
Best Regards, Christina Palmer, General Manager
Jonesboro, Georgia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I went to macon just for the weekend. My husband picked best western and I was a bit disappointed but once there found it to be nice. The folks were friendly especially the worker at the contential breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your
stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your
weekend getaway. We hope you come back to see us again.
Urbana, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had a very peaceful night after a long trip. We stay at this motel every time we go to Florida. The service is excellent and a hot breakfast was a welcome convienience. The amenities in the room were outstanding,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

ChristinaPalmerGM, General Manager at Best Western Inn & Suites of Macon, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
James W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review .
We are thrilled to hear you stay with us every
time you go to Florida. We certainly appreciate
your loyalty to us. We hope you see improvements
each time you come back. Thank you so much
for the kind words regarding the hotel and the
wonderful comments regarding the staff .
We look forward to serving your family for many
years to come.