“A great surprise on our Georgia/Carolinas tour” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macon

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Alicante, Spain
77 helpful votes
“A great surprise on our Georgia/Carolinas tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

We booked a night in Macon as a stopover from Savannah to Atlanta but wished we had booked several nights instead. On a super hot afternoon(108) we arrived and made our way straight to the visitors centre. It was excellent and we spent a cool 10 minutes watching a short film about the area and its people. The welcome staff we extremely helpful.
There were lots of places to visit and some super cafes plus good shopping on the outskirts of town.
The main attraction for us was the evening light event which shone on the glorious houses around the city.
I am going to write seperately about the individual places to visit but Macon is definitely worth a trip to stay and explore a while.

1 Thank mummybearSpain
lower alabama
49 helpful votes
“Pilgrimage to Macon, Georgia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

After talking about it for several years an old friend of mine and I decided to make a pilgrimage to the grave site of Duane Allman and Barry Oakley who are two of the originators of the Allman Brothers Band.

We took a six hour drive from the Mobile Bay area, north on I-65 then took back country roads to Macon which is a small Georgia city not far from Atlanta.

It is the home of Capricorn records where the band did much recording and was their home for a few years from where they would launch out on the road to play places like the Filmore East where a now famous recording took place in1970.

We ate soul food at the H&H restaurant downtown where the band members frequently took meals from a very caring lady who still owns and operates the restaurant.

The walls were covered in photos of the band. Some were promotional many were snapshots of them in the restaurant. Photos were not allowed to be taken inside the restaurant.

Next stop was the "Big House." This large now renovated house is where the band spent countless hours playing music and just playing. Unfortunately it was closed and only open as a museum a few days a week. Duane's gold top Les Paul can be seen on display by peering through the front window.

Visiting the grave yard, also a city park, was a solemn quiet event. The cemetery was created in1840, and contains a confederate soldier burial ground as well as many classic style grave sites with various period head stones and monuments.

The grave site of the two band members who died so very young was set apart at the top of a gully with no other graves very near. It is surrounded by a tall iron fence. Musicians who have been highly influenced by the Allman Brothers Band will find a visit there a special moment to put into perspective that fateful day Duane collided with a truck while driving his motorcycle ending the life of a young but extremely talented guitar player.

For those who are fans of the Allman Brothers Band, especially those who were young as they when it all went down it is a good stop in Georgia.

By taking back roads into Macon you will come upon some surviving antebellum mansions that stand as a testimony of an era of splendor for some yet severe tragedy for their captives who through extreme forced labor brought wealth to the old agrarian south land.

Macon has grown quite a bit since the Big House days. filled with fast moving traffic and probably few who may even remember the "Big House" days of an upcoming, now world famous music group. For those so affected by the band which is still playing on tour minus their first leader, it is a heartfelt experience to visit.

9 Thank ejbpesca
centerburg, ohio
26 helpful votes
“Visit Duane Allman grave in Macon, Georgia”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

I spent 2 days in Macon visiting a friend and sightseeing. I found it unmarkable and probably smaller than I had anticipated. The downtown area is suffering with empty store fronts. I found only one street that had any outside sidewalk cafes, which surprised me for a town in that climate region.

The surrounding suburbs and areas are quite developed with the usual chain restaurants and shopping. I stayed at a hotel by the outerbelt, 475. the area was quite built up in a 5-6 block area. It is interesting in that you quickly leave built up areas and drive into rural areas that are very depressed.

The town was so easy to get around in. I found myself driving everywhere in a short amount of time. My highlight was located the cemetery where Duane Allman is buried. It is a unique cemetery with terraces and a good place to walk and view surrounding areas as it is on a hill. Anyone loving the Duane Allman should go to his grave site. Worth the visit.

GA
47 helpful votes
“Nice Place- Plenty of Things to do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

Macon is a nice area, two great malls, plenty of restaurants, and lots to do. I wouldn't recommend living there as it is very crowded, but it's great for a nice day trip!!!!

Central Florida
69 helpful votes
“Stay away from Macon”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2006

I will drive on past Macon.

If you must stay in Macon stay out on the 475 bypass. You don't want to go in to Macon. We were looking for a Chuck E Cheese for the kids and ended up in a less than desirable neighborhood. Once we got out on the 475 the area was a bit nicer, but all the hotels were full.

So we drove on to Atlanta, which is what I would recommend.

5 Thank bigdaddyhill

Been to Macon? Share your experiences!