“Good view - older hotel”

Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Port Angeles
Seattle
“Good view - older hotel”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We needed a place to stay in the area and this seemed like the best choice but we were a bit unnerved when we drove up and saw the somewhat sketchy crowd in the parking lot. We didn't feel any better when we got our key and went into the building and the hallways smelled smokey. Thankfully, our room had been updated and was clean, beds were surprisingly lovely (great mattress, new linens, and great pillows). We were surprised by how entranced we were watching the big ships out our windows. Lots of floorspace in room (even with two beds, desk, & TV stand). Bathroom was clean. It really was a sharp contrast the next morning when we left our lovely room and saw the hallway, and parking lot again.
We used a AAA discount and it was no problem to get an oceanfront room. We did have the first floor and I wish we had specified a higher floor with a balcony because there is a walkway along the water and so joggers and strollers were constantly walking passed our window so we didn't have much privacy if the lights were on at night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bluesky789
Namaste C, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles, responded to this review, 31 May 2016

Namaste C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Miami
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My mother-in-law booked this hotel two months in advance of our trip and called numerous times to ensure we had water front rooms. They confirmed with her over the phone that we would have water view rooms. When we arrived we realized that they gave our rooms to a huge group of antique car collectors. When asked, they told her that they never give water view rooms to AAA discount member (please note, AAA). That would have been nice to know two months prior to our visit!

Service at the front desk was cold and indifferent despite the error on their part. To make things worse, they placed us in two rooms that were filthy!!!!! We called the front desk and asked them to clean the MILDEW in the bathroom. When they did not send anyone over, we went to the store to buy Tilex. Again, the service was indifferent when we asked them why no one went to our room to clean the filthy bathrooms. We should have bought cleaners for the restaurant as well. It smelled like old mildew.

We ended our stay with giving them the bottle of Tilex-they obviously need it more than we do!

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura L
Hannah H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Good day~

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay. I would like to apologize that we have fallen short in providing a clean and comfortable stay for you. I would also like to apologize for the miscommunication on the room that was reserved. I can understand how disappointing it would be to receive a room that was different than what you had expected. The feedback you have provided will help us determine areas of improvement for our hotel.
We strive to be your home away from home; it is disappointing that we have fallen short in doing so. I hope that you will stay with us in the future so we can service you with our best foot forward.

Kind regards,

Hannah

Travellers are raving about these Port Angeles hotels

Tucson Arizona
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I highly recommend Red Lion Hotel. We stayed here the night before we took the ferry to Victoria BC and the night we got back. It is clean, the rooms are large, the staff is very pleasant. Try to get a room with a balcony overlooking the water- it's very worth the extra money. The Red Lion is working hard to be a first rate hotel in their class, and I think they achieved their goal- I have not one negative thing to say about it. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.
You can walk along the shoreline right outside the hotel for quite a distance on a paved path. And the ferry dock is literally 3 minutes away.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the rooms facing the water.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy M

Rogue Valley Area, O
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This hotel was adequate for my needs, which were to have a base to go explore the Olympic National Park. Although I would say, if you want to be near the rainforest/western part of the park, then stay somewhere over on that part of the peninsula to save yourself hours of driving. The Hurricane Ridge portion was easy to get to and right outside Port Angeles, making a day trip up there very convenient. The lodgings themselves were old, but clean and the beds were comfortable and there was enough hot water when I needed it. The breakfast in the hotel's restaurant was not what I would expect at a Red Lion, but it was adequate also. The biggest problem that I had was upon trying to check in. The hotel staff had put me in the back building, away from the water. They informed me that it would be an extra $50 a night to be in a waterfront room, on top of what I had already paid when I booked! They said that when you book online/by phone the website can only "request" a waterfront room, and not actually "book" it! Although I had made sure when I booked on the phone that I was getting a waterfront room, the racket at the front desk is to blame it on the website you book through to squeeze more money out of you! I did not agree to pay for the extra cost, and had been assured on the phone that I had a waterfront room and had to get really forceful with the front desk people to get the room I had booked. This is a scam and it really angers me that a nice place like Red Lion would pull something skeevy like this! Just a warning to others: be sure that you have indeed BOOKed a waterfront room if that is what you want, BEFORE you check-in to save yourself this problem! Other than that, the staff was friendly and the location of the hotel was great.

Room Tip: The waterfront rooms are right on a walkway along the shore that was quite busy during the day. The...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

When we 1st arrived I did not think this was going to be a GREAT overnight stay, but I was wrong! The rooms are literally right on to water with BEAUTIFUL sunrises & sunsets! We had the pleasure of sitting on our balcony for both & it was great! Not to mention the free included breakfast was actually really great & the staff was very nice. Additionally, the hotel is a few short blocks to the little downtown where we had a wonderful late dinner at a terrific steakhouse!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Stephanie D
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Considering there are not many good options in the area for lodging, this may be the best there is. It is, however, in dire need of a facelift (stained carpet, tired bathroom). The view from the water facing rooms is the best part of this place.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room facing the water.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Participated in Olympic Peninsula Senior Games. In a room w/ 3 women, 2 queen beds. Requested roll-away. Delivered. First nite, unable to sleep in roll-away as too small and springs/coils dug into my back. Requested padding. Delivered. Staff very accommodating. Aside from barking dog across the room, minimal noise. Hotel clean. Friday nite buffet, satisfactory; Saturday morning buffet, so-so. Dinner a little pricey. First time guest--air conditioner in room not working properly--needed to manually adjust temperature. Frig door would not stay closed as a result, food items not properly chilled. Even with these small inconveniences, I would return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Quality Inn & Suites at Olympic National Park
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 15 in Port Angeles

Been to Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles? Share your experiences!