“Some good some bad.”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Silverdale, Washington, United States
“Some good some bad.”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We arrived at 2 Pm. We were well past ready to check in. However we were told that we could not until 3 pm. At 3 Pm we returned to find out that the room was still not available. Back gain at 3:30 and it was still not ready. Finally I left my cell phone number and they called us at 4:30 to tell us our room was ready. Then there was the group rate that we were suppose to receive. I ask why we did not get it and was given some lame excuse about the building we were in. Two days later the organizer of the event resolved the issue and we got the correct rate. I had charged the room to my credit card and instead of billing me for the correct amount they added $166.00. Beware that this most likely is their standard billing procedure and should be corrected at a later date. If not a call to the card company will fix this.
On the plus side the room is nicely laid out with two sinks and a spacious living area. It is a short walk to the down town area with a number of restaurants. The bed and linens were very nice and the area was reasonably quiet.

The bath towels were another story. I have better towels in my garage (that I use for rags) than the ones they issue to their guests. Not the least bit soft and bordering on the abrasive side.

I have never had as many problems with Key Cards as I did in the three days I stayed there. The first day one card did not work. The next day the other one quit working. On the third day another card quit and while we were checking out the other one quit working.

The breakfast buffet is about a five out of ten on a good day. However if there are tour busses staying over, you don't want to be there when they are trying to feed all those people. It is entertaining to watch if you are not on a tight schedule.

I stayed there a year ago with another old car tour. Since then the prices have gone up and the service has gone down. The front desk staff was very responsive and helpful but there is only some much they have control over.

I would not recommend this motel for group tours unless they figure out how to get back on track.

Room Tip: There are some nicer less expensive motels just up the street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Old_Cars_rolling_on
Namaste C, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles, responded to this review, 31 May 2016
Thanks for the review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The staff is very friendly, but this hotel is old and the rooms still smell of stale smoke. We asked to change rooms because our original room had such a strong smell we were worried they would think we smoked in the room. The new room was clean, but it looked a little worn and old: The carpets were stained, the bathroom had some black growth around the little window in the shower, etc.
I don't think this Red Lion is worth the price unless you need to be downtown or right near the ferry terminal. The hotel is very interested in guest feedback, so here it is: Until they do a major remodel, we won't stay here again or recommend this Red Lion to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Albany, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We had a water-view room and enjoyed it very much. The towels and linens were very good in our room. The room was refreshed every day with new towels, beds made, etc. The breakfasts left a bit to be desired, and we felt like they weren't expecting our large group (110 old Chevys) even though we had booked months in advance. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are very nice and worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Namaste C, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Chrys,

I'm happy to hear you were able to attend the Chevy Car show, held here at the Redlion. Our staff thoroughly enjoyed everyone from your group and looking at all the beautiful cars in our parking lot. I really appreciate the review on Tripadvisor and I look forward to hosting your event next year!

Cheers- Namaste C
Seattle
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I've stayed at several Red Lion properties, in fact it's one of my preferred hotel chains when traveling with the family due to its (normally) good price/quality ratio. In fact, I stayed at this one in Port Angeles a couple of years ago and found it good then - but not this time.
First, I found the price pretty steep i.e. >2x what I paid at the much better Red Lion in Spokane just 3 weeks ago - I guess its down to location and local competition but it simply isn't worth it.
Next, we couldn't get a room with harbor view, in fact we couldn't even get a room in the main building and got put up in another building with a view of the parking lot.
Third, both rooms smelled damp and moldy and the carpet in one of them was indeed damp to the point of being wet in places - they told me it was due to very recent carpet cleaning (not leakage) which I hope is true but either way it was unpleasant and the room shouldn't have been sold before drying out.
Finally, the service was pretty poor, mainly in the reception - it was pretty busy when we arrived so I spent ~10 minutes observing the staff in action. One guest seemed to have problems with his reservation and instead of genuinely trying to help him the receptionist acted very aloof to the point where it seemed downright rude. Eventually she asked him to step aside and started serving me, at first she expressed the same attitude until but then realized I'm a loyalty club member and knew Red Lion's policies and procedures as well as she did - but that shouldn't be required to be treated with respect.
All up this was probably my worst Red Lion experience, there's clearly work to do to improve the property and the service - in the meantime Red Lion should consider halving the room prices to better reflect what you get for your money.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water, the view is much better and they have a small terrace.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Port Angeles hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I've stayed in a number of Red Lion hotels and generally they are very, very nice. This is not one of them. The location is fabulous and we splurged for a King "view" room. The room size was ample and it did have a view of the harbor. However, and this is probably my fault, the view faces north. Since Port Angeles is so far north in terms of latitude, there really is not sunset/sunrise kind of thing. It is a view of water, and occasionally you can see a cruise ship chugging along or the Black Ball ferry coming or leaving port. Otherwise, the room is just okay.

Regardless, the location is near the downtown area, and there are a plethora of restaurants, taverns, shops and of course the ferry within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This place needs a remodel. Carpets are dingy, room was smelly. I agree the place is a bit rundown. They also need to stock the rooms w/ newer towels. I was in a room facing the parking lot and near the pool, so it was noisey until just about 10 pm or a little after. The breakfast buffet is terrible.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa M
Hannah H, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Good afternoon~

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. We strive to be a comfortable home away from home, and it is disappointing to hear we have fallen short. We are constantly making updates to our property and take comments and concerns such as yours as ways to improve. Thank you

Kind regards,

Hannah H
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The room was very clean and they kept us supplied in coffee, ice tea, water, and coffee creamer. They were very nice and everyday the room was clean. The service was very good and they were all very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer,

I'm so very glad you enjoyed your time spent here with us at the RedLion hotel! We strive to provide excellent service to both our hotel guests and meeting room rentals. I look forward to seeing you again next time you are in this part of town!

Cheers,

#2 of 16 in Port Angeles
Port Angeles Inn
Port Angeles Inn
#5 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles? Share your experiences!