“Port Angeles - We had a good time”

Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed 21 September 2010

OK, we have stayed at the Red Lion many times over the years and have a love/hate relationship with the place.

Yes, the hotel needs a little updating, but....is there a better location in Port Angeles??

If you book a room facing the water you can watch the ferry....."Coho" coming and going to Victoria. Plus....from your balcony you can watch all the maritime traffic out in the Strait. For someone like me that's a real treat.

The last time we stayed at the Red Lion we booked a room using www.hotwire.com and got a very decent rate.

Most reviewers rate the Red Lion as a "three". I would go a little higher....!!! And.....yes, I would recommend this place to "a friend" with the above qualifiers.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ebrynnie
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles

Reviewed 14 September 2010

The best feature is this hotel's location on the waterfront and the decent restaurant on site. I guess this Red Lion meets the bare standards of a "3-Star" hotel, but I'm used to more amenities with hotels of that rating like a microwave or refrigerator, and the buildings and rooms are unimpressive for the high price they charge. I'd recommend shopping the 2 star hotels, and you're likely to receive the same things that this hotel offers except for the water view.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2010

After a long day of traveling and searching for a motel/hotel, we decided on Red Lion. The front staff is helpful and friendly as are the housekeeping staff. BUT the room is old and dingy,sliding glass doors were dirty and handprinted as they haven't been washed down in quite a while. the bed was not the best as the mattress pad kept bunching up at our feet .The room door card lock worked one in ten times and the door itself didn't close tightly (it had a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap. We were there on a week day and it cost $177.00 quite pricey even for a bay view. Probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Based on the pictures on their webpage, I thought we had pulled into the wrong parking lot! The hotel is old and does not have an elavator, only stairs. It looks NOTHING like the pictures they use for advertising.

We were on the second floor facing the parking lot. We woke up around 5am every morning because there were semis braking on the road right behind the hotel. Very annoying. I didn't realize how close the busy road was.

When I opened the door to the room, I was quite surprised. Everything seemed newer and clean. We had a good connection to the free internet service which was nice for looking up directions and other information during our stay.

It is very convient to the park entrance for Olympic National Park, which is why we selected the area. We found the ferry was also nearby, but we did not use it.

We did not eat at the restaurant, but there was a very nice restaurant right on the corner near the hotel (Kokopelli Grill).

I thought $7.95 per person for breakfast was too much. Though, I will say I normally eat a lighter breakfast (not a breakfast buffet), plus all the other hotels we had stayed at on our vacation included breakfast, so maybe we were spoiled.

We got a deal with the buy 2 nights get 1 free, and without that, I would definitely say these rooms are overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We stayed here for one night because the Olympic View Lodge was full. I did like the location of the Red Lion--right on the beach across from the piers and shops, but the Hotel seems very old and dirty. When we entered the LONG hallway, we were immediately overcome with a stale smoke smell. I actually didn't mind that too much because it reminded me of visiting my grandparents' house as a kid. But the room--oh what a terrible smell! It permeated our clothes and suitcases. It reeked like tooth decay! Even opening the sliding doors and blasting the air conditioning didn't help. The room also seemed old, dark, and dirty, but on closer inspection it was actually fairly clean and had nice furniture--it just didn't feel clean or new. The breakfast buffet was TERRIBLE!! Do not eat there. The staff was very friendly, and they were the one good thing about this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on a road trip around Washington's NW pennisula. It was in a great location to get there in the evening, and take the Ferry to Victoria for the day and have a place nearby that next evening when getting off the Ferry again. Their asking price was $169 a night, which seemed WAY overpriced once we saw our room. We got it for $105 on Priceline. They were the only "3 star" hotel in the area, so we knew exactly where we'd be staying when gambling with Priceline. I wouldn't call it a 3-star, I think it gets that rating b/c it has a restaurant attached. We stayed in an interior room, and maybe the Waterfront rooms are nicer? Ours was just OK, nothing special. Small shower, kinda old, but very clean. Everything was very clean. Really, if you want location and you get a deal, this is a great place. Skip the restaurant, even their wait staff recommend a different spot! LOL!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Given I didn't have too many choices, I first chose the Red Lion before looking at its reviews. After them, I thought, "oh, $hit" I'll just have to make due.

However, from the beginning to the end of my stay, I have nothing but good things to say about the place. The front desk folks were pleasant and helpful. Every housekeeping person smiled and says hello when you walk down the halls. The pool, spa and fitness center were clean. In a nutshell, this place wasn't as bad as review.

I will say that I didn't eat at its resturant, but that was my choice and I had plenty to choose from. The location was great for me and though somewhat dated, the hotel served its purpose.

I guess at the end of the day, if you need a top shelf place to stay, probably Port Angeles isn't that place to be in the first plce (ha!). But if PA is your destination, the Red Lion should be probably the least of yoor worries...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles? Share your experiences!