“Exceptional find for your $$$”

Super 8 Port Angeles
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Port Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ozona, Florida
“Exceptional find for your $$$”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Discovered two weeks into our three week vacation that I had a major oversight....we didn't have a place to stay while we transitioned from our vacation rental on Vancouver Island to our hotel in Seattle! Still not sure how I managed to miss this detail, but I panicked when the first five choices of hotels were booked. I scoffed at the idea of staying at Super 8 only because of their reputation. Turns out, that was the only option we had in the town we wanted, so I booked it.

The check-in was beyond smooth and the two desk clerks we incredibly friendly and sincere. I was a bit stressed to not find an elevator, but the way the hotel is laid out, it's not a necessity. Our room was clean and quiet. We had a dorm fridge, safe, desk, and table with two chairs. Very roomy and comfortable. Air conditioner worked great....maybe too good - my husband swore we could hang meat in the room! LOL. They served a continental breakfast from 6-9am that was descent. The location of the hotel is excellent if you're coming over on the ferry or if you'd like to explore Olympic National Park. Overall, pleasantly surprised and I would definitely stay here again.

My personal opinion to management to compete with the big dogs - with my small family of three, we have five devices to charge - we would have loved more outlets in the room for charging purposes.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DivingGurl
David K, Owner at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hey DivingGurl,
Glad we won you over. There is an overwhelming amount of reviews about us that show we are not your average Super 8. We are rated amongst the top 2% of the 1400+ Super 8's in the nation. We're very serious about creating the best value experience we can for our guests. As a relatively new owner, I am very encouraged to read reviews such as yours.
As for your comment about outlets.... I'm slowly replacing our lamps with ones that have additional outlets in their bases. I replaced about 1/2 a dozen room lamp sets and I ordered a bunch more before the summer, but they are taking much longer to arrive than planned as they are custom designed.
Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
South Salem, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked this hotel after the first one we went to was too dirty to stay in. Compared to the other hotel this one was wonderful. It seemed like they recently updated the room.

Breakfast was nice. No hot food but better then your normal cereal.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dreamergirl4686
It's hard to overstate just how hard we work at the consistency of our housekeeping. Appreciate you mentioning the upgrades. Each week, we spend an equal amount of time doing preventative maintenance and room updating/upgrades.
Idaho
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We just got back from a family trip around the Olympic Peninsula this hotel was the worst one we stayed at and the most expensive. Everything is bare-bones. We had a baby and a 3 year old and lots of luggage, there wasn't even an elevator. We had to haul all our luggage up two flights of stairs.

Hi Weimerl,
I was confused by your review since you gave us 4 out of 5 stars on service, location and sleep quality and summarized it with a 2 out of 5. And then I remembered your name and your comment about the pricing at the check-in counter. I'd like to direct you to remember that the entire town was sold out at the time you walked-in. You arrived rather late in the evening so we were unable to put you at a ground floor room. We are the best value hotel in Port Angeles. It was difficult for you to shop around other hotels since they too were sold out, but you would have found prices at 20-60% higher.

Travellers are raving about these Port Angeles hotels

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Needed a place to sleep before taking the ferry to Victoria in the morning. Checked right in, staff was friendly. Walked up a flight of stairs to the room, I don't remember an elevator, but I didn't look.
The desk / office / breakfast areas were small, as I expected, and the room was average with a fridge and microwave which I did not expect to have. The beds were on the firm side for a hotel. We had a pleasant stay, and the management appears to be keeping up the property.

We checked out a tiny tip of the Olympic park for a few hours, ate dinner, slept, ate breakfast at the hotel, then took the ferry to Victoria. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
It was nice to have you stay with us. Thanks for the review. As you stated, we work hard at being the best value in Port Angeles. We provide many of our guests with directions to the ferries and great restaurants. We also partner with some restaurants to provide our guests with discounts.
Seattle
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I chose this for the location and the fact that it had been upgraded recently. I was very satisfied with my overall stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My only somewhat negative is that the bed wasn't as firm as I like but that often happens and it certainly was comfortable enough.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Judith,
It was great to have you stay with us. Each week reveals more and more upgrades happening at our hotel. Most recently, we've started upgrading all our towel purchases to higher quality ones that are quite plush. We'll see you again soon I hope.
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The room was clean and the bed was fine. I'd highly recommend that from time to time housekeeping use the crevice tool and vacuum the corners between the floor and the wall. Not something others might notice, I however look at stuff like this. The pillows were awful. No matter how many times one folded them, they had zero substance and didn't give any support. Doesn't let one feel good when one enters the hotel and walks done the hallway just to notice stains on the carpets. In other words, a bit more attention can be given to cleanliness in general, which would leave a better first impression. They do provide breakfast, of which the fresh fruit was the best. One could make waffles and there were Kellogg's cereals, as well as toast, yogurt, tea and coffee. I feel that the rate charged was too much for the quality of the hotel.

David K, Owner at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
54lynn,
I like your comments. I'll ask our housekeeping staff to put a schedule on how often we clean corner edging in our rooms. I don't quite understand your comment about the pillows. You must need very firm pillows. Not all pillows can work for everyone. You should know that we put a lot of effort into our bedding and pillows. Each bed has 4 pillows and you'll find a mixture of standard to firm pillows all throughout each each room. Many of our guests love the pillows. In fact, I just got home after having sold 4 pillows to 3 different guests this evening. They're words to me were that they were the most comfortable pillows they had every slept on.

I don't disagree with the challenges of the public hallway carpets. We're finding it harder and harder to keep them clean and I'm just finishing up my selection of carpet styles to be ordered to replace all public carpet.

Thanks for your comment about our breakfast. Did you notice the boiled eggs and Cinnamon rolls?
Lakebay, Washington, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a very old hotel. The room was very small. We were charged way too much and it was probably because there was a festival going on in another town. The breakfast was very minimal. It was the same thing every morning. There was not enough seating for folks to sit down and eat. The staff that worked there were very nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
David K, Owner at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the review. I remembered you at check-in. It was really nice to have met you. I recall talking with you about things to do in the Olympic Park and giving you quite a bit of information about some great places to eat around town. I saw that you did take advantage of the discount pricing at the Restaurant next door that gave you 10% off just for staying with us.
Our breakfast exceeds Super 8 standards by quite a bit and a lot of this is due to our value pricing model that strives to provide economically affordable lodging. I don't disagree with you about the pricing as it was a bit higher at the time of your arrival due to the yearly lavender festival. I hope that you would ask around a bit more in the future as you seek out other lodging. You would have found lodging at 50% -100% higher pricing around town that offered less than what we have with no breakfast.
I took your seating comment to heart Sharon and ordered 8 more chairs and 4 more tables this morning. I don't want to see that happen again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Angeles
Quality Inn & Suites at Olympic National Park
Port Angeles Inn
Port Angeles Inn
#5 of 15 in Port Angeles

Been to Super 8 Port Angeles? Share your experiences!