“Average motor hotel, sketchy staff, questionable promotions.”
Review of Quality Inn Uptown

Quality Inn Uptown
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Driving vacation from California to Canada along the coast.
Port Angeles is the ONLY automobile transport ferry to and from Victoria, BC. There are other ferries to/from Vancouver island, but not to Victoria. Fee for car plus 2 adults is $77, one way.

We joined the Choice Hotel Choice Privileges rewards program. The promotion was for every two stays, get on night free. It was very difficult to get credit for our stays, rules are very specific and if you don't follow them to the letter, they don't credit you. So far, we stayed at 7 different Choice hotels (mostly Quality and Comfort Inns) for 12 nights. We have not gotten a single stay credit. One rule is you MUST reserve the room in advance. It's more difficult and problematic than it sounds. First, since we're traveling by SUV, we're using our iPhones to look up hotels in upcoming towns. We select one that seems okay and click the web link, make a call and speak to a person to make the reservation. We use our iPhone GPS to guide ourselves to the hotel and find that it's in a crappy part of town. Unfortunately, since we booked a reservation, it's non-refundable. My wife seriously considered loosing the money to go to a better location. A pet peeve I have is the reservation commits us to paying whether we like the place, or not -- however in exchange for the commitment we're not given any discount on price. There are plenty of rooms to choose from, so a reservation is not securing anything. So why bother making any reservation? Our lesson learned - and a great TIP for anyone reading this -- just show up at the hotel, if you like it, call the reservation phone number right there in the lobby to get credit. YES- it's ridiculous because the person behind the counter is a Choice Hotel agent themselves and should get you any promotional credit right then and there, but they don't. If you dislike the hotel, move on. In our case, there was a newer hotel 15 minutes away that my wife probably would have liked instead of this dump. BTW, when we got to the hotel, they said we booked through Wikipedia, not Choice Hotels, so sorry -- NO CREDIT. Watch the links on your smartphone, when we called, the booking agent did not mention they were Wikipedia and let us believe we were getting our credit night.
The hotel is downtown (they call it Uptown) and in an area where loads of homeless people are wandering the streets. We were concerned someone might break into our new BMW X3, or worse. Hate to show like you might have money in an area where so many desperate people are trying to survive. No doubt, I feel for them, but too many for any one person to lend a hand. Parking is very limited at the hotel, so I had to park at their annex building on the other block. Unloading our stuff was a chore as we made our way past the other cars to our room - 321. This room had two queen size beds, with very HARD mattresses.
The room seemed old and musty. It was more outlet challenged than other hotels, so we had to use our multi-extension to charge our personal electronics (i.e.; phones). This is a very minor issue.
Breakfast is complementary and has the standard cereals, breads, make your own waffles and variety of drinks. Breakfast area was okay, TV on CNN with low volume, newspaper optional.
The staff was "interesting". The young man in the evening was a problem. As I went to turn in my towels and request more, he was on his cell phone arguing with his girlfriend FOR OVER AN HOUR. He ignored me even though he saw I was waiting, after 10 minutes, I left, did some errands (Safeway grocery store is walking distance) but when I got back he was still fighting on the phone! Eventually, I did exchange my towels and he apologized, but still . . .
The lady the next day tried to help me with getting us credit even though we inadvertently booked through the wrong route. She was not successful, but I appreciate her efforts.
What can I saw, this was a lousy stay in a slightly sub-average hotel adjacent to the rough part of town. If you venture to Port Angeles to hop on the ferry to Victoria, B.C., look elsewhere. Slightly up the road is much nicer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear valued guest;
I appreciate you placing your review on tripadvisor. I am surprised to hear you were still dissatisfied with your stay after everything possible was done to correct the errors made with your reservation. In error you booked your hotel room through Expedia not through choicehotels.com. The rewards program does have booking guidelines. I researched and found your reward number for awarding points for your stay. Although your stay was booked through Expedia was not point eligable, our hotel purchased points and awarded these to your account .Please accept my sincere apology for the issues you experianced.
I also booked a second night for you personally, your request to extend your stay, and provided your reward number so your reward points would be given in your account for your second night of your stay.
It is unfortunate that you viewed a very unproffessional personal issue with a staff member during your stay. Please be assured this issue is being addressed to prevent further reoccurances with other guests.
Our hotel takes pride in taking care of our guests and it dissapoints me that you did not have a pleasant experiance while staying with us.
Please feel free to contact me directly to further address and correct the issues you experianced at my hotel.
I look forward to correcting your stay and inviting you to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Supposedly an 'economy' lodging, the Quality Inn Uptown was a surprisingly easy walk to picturesque city sites, had a surprisingly roomy design in its first-floor rooms, and an equally surprisingly good complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Select a first-floor room for the extra size. Make use of Olympic National Park info in the lobby.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

We are very happy you placed your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel and the Port Angeles area. Thank you for the Great Five Star Review on our hotel! We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here when in town for Crabfest two years ago, so forgive me if I am not aware of any renos, etc.

I have to say, we had a very pleasant stay here. Sure, the hotel could use some cosmetic updating, but it was good value, clean, in a great location, and they fed you in the morning, something that is too rare at Canadian hotels.

We were very impressed by the staff, their committment to providing service and taking care of their hotel. We had a very nice conversation or two with Liz, who provided us with travel tips for the Sunday we were spending driving around the Olympic peninsula, a most memorable day for us. There was a young man, Jeremy (I think) who was also helpful when we needed information about the area. We enjoyed talking to staff members who seemed to enjoy the interaction.

We would stay at the Quality Inn Uptown again, if we are lucky enough to attend Crabfest again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

We appreciate you posting your review on Tripadvisor. We enjoyed your opinions of our hotel and staff very much. We do enjoy our guests and our hotel and are committed to taking care of all our guests. We Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the Crabfest! We hope to see you next year!

Liz Conrad, Jeremy, and all the Quality Inn staff

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The major redeeming feature to this Quality Inn is the staff! They are friendly and helpful and did go out of their way to make our stay pleasant. Although I have never stayed in a hotel that didn't have wine glasses to lend us! Location is directly up the street from the Coho so its handy to town if that is where you need to be!

This hotel however is in need of major updating! Rooms are large though and so are the windows so the room was bright and clean and the beds were comfortable athough there was a musty smell noticeable coming into the room. Be aware that there are no elevators and there are 30 stairs to each level of the hotel in their second building so if you are on the top floor (rooms 260 and up) you have 60 stairs to walk up and down each way.

Towels well worn, stains here and there on the carpet, dreary colours throughout (and a pink bathroom!), lobby smells of smoke as you walk in (though the whole place is non smoking) but all in all an ok place to stay if you are in Port Angeles.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Your review is very important to us. Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm not sure what happened with regards to the wine glasses. We do have wine glasses available for guest use. I will follow up with all staff to determine where this error was made. My apologies for the inconvenience.
I appreciate your kind comments about the staff and will share your review with all staff members.
Fall updating in guest bath areas will be happening soon. We are excited about the changes .
We hope you will give us another try and will love the improvements we are making.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

My stay at this motel, that is what it is, was disappointing. The rooms are tired. Curtains, carpets, fixtures, furniture, TV, bath room, decor are all worn and need replacing.Wi-fi is really bad too. No A/C. I read other reviews where "no A/C" is mentioned and the response is it doesn't get hot enough and just a few others hotels in town have it. That's WRONG. I went online and checked out other hotels in town. Guess what? This motel and the one right next door to it are the only ones that don't. This motel also lists itself as a "non-smoking facility". How can it be when employees are smoking right by (less than 25 ft.) from the entrance. I've stayed at many different Choice hotels, from Sleep Inns to Comfort Inns and so on. This one was sadly the worst. Yet the price charged for the room was way too high. When I pay more than $125 for room with one bed, I expect furnishings, etc. to be at least from this century. Not at this place. Wonder how these people got Choice Hotels to overlook all the many items that are not up to par. I would have thought HD-TV's would be the norm by now. For the price this motel is so not worth it. Go stay any where else in town and you at least get a/c. Go stay any where else in town and get better wi-fi.
Just go stay any where else and pay a more reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on TripAdvisor. It is very disappointing to hear you were unhappy with your stay with us. Televisions in all our guestrooms are new 32' flat screen televisions. We do not offer HD - TV service however, this will be a future upgrade at our hotel. Guest bath areas will be receiving a major upgrade this fall. Unfortunately we were unaware you experienced an issue with the Wi-Fi connection. We are always nearby and able to assist when one of our guests is experiencing difficulty finding or connecting to our network. Our hotel does not offer air conditioning. With October's temperatures at 58 - 60 degrees I am sorry you were uncomfortable.
Because we are a non-smoking hotel, we are required to offer a designated smoking area for use. This area is compliant with the health laws at 25 feet from the hotels entrance. The laws will be reviewed with all employees to ensure that they are being complied with. Thank you for bringing this concern to my attention.
Your stay with us was during the annual Dungeness Crab & Seafood Festival in Port Angeles and I am unhappy to learn you were not completely satisfied with your stay here.
It is unfortunate that we were unable to speak directly in an effort to resolve some of these issues while you stayed with us. Please accept my sincere apology.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stopped here based on Quality Inn name. Don't let the semi-shady exterior fool you, this is a great place. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable and at a good price. Great location if you don't mind a few stairs down the hill to downtown Port Angeles. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for placing a five star review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you chose to stay at our hotel. Your review has been shared with the hotel staff and created many smiles today! We're so happy your stay was enjoyable and invite you to vist us again when visiting Port Angeles.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Its an old hotel, the annex rooms across the road have a great view of the mountains, and its pretty clean.
Breakfast is up to par, as was the bedding etc, the staff were friendly and efficient.
Its just a short walk down some stairs to the center of town
The bathroom was pepto bizmal pink is a real eye opener in the morning.
When I turned on the sink water it came out brown, not drinkable as you might expect, but its an old hotel.
For the price it was not a great deal, but its high season and you gotta make hay, but compared to some of the other motels on the main drag it looked the cleanest.
The only real complaint was out of control of the hotel, the town clock is a few blocks away and strikes the hour, all night, and on the half hour too!-all night long, I had the windows open as it was really hot, if you need to sleep get a room in the other building

Room Tip: Be aware town clock goes off all night long
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate you sharing your experience about your stay with us. I am pleased you overall enjoyed your visit. I am concerned you experienced an issue with discolored water from the bathroom sink. We are researching and working to correct the problem.
I understand your complaint about our courthouse clock. Yes, it does chime on the I/2 hour and the hour. While many of our guests do not hear it. Other guests hear it repeatedly throughout the evening. I apologize your sleep was disrupted due to the clock.
We hope you will visit us again when in Port Angeles and we will do our best to locate you away from the clock.
Liz Conrad & Quality Inn Staff

#4 of 16 in Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Quality Inn Uptown? Share your experiences!