“Great location for ferry”
Review of Quality Inn Uptown

Quality Inn Uptown
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Ucluelet, Canada
“Great location for ferry”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Upon arriving here after a long day of travelling from southern vistas we needed to overnight and wait to catch the morning ferry to Victoria . The room rates were a little higher than we were used to paying but managed to barter a better rate very nice hotel staff. We made our way to the room and noticed the nice harbour view each room seemed to have. As we opened the door to the room we noticed it was very hot so warm that we needed to leave the door open for a coupe of hours. Other than that the rooms were very large and not bad for comfort. The ferry terminal was less than two minutes away , convenient .the morning breakfast bar was more than adequate and met some very nice people.

Room Tip: Most have a view top floor is quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments very much. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and staff service. I want to extend an apology for the temperature issue you experienced in your room. I have addressed the oversight with my Lead Housekeeper to prevent this error from reoccurring in the future. I truely appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to provide you with lodging in the future.
Liz Conrad & Quality Inn staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Spuzzum, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Overall, I was disappointed with my stay at the hotel.

On the plus side of things, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The room was also a fair size. The location is great; it is central and the downtown core is all walking distance from the motel.

The motel is in need of some serious upgrading and renovations; however, there is definitely potential. Quality Inn NEEDS to put some quality into the accommodations.

There were some issues that I feel Choice Hotels should be aware of and needs to address. They are:

I am a shift worker and I am careful to orchestrate a healthy sleeping environment. I sleep best in a cool, dark room with some sort of airflow, preferably from the outside.

The curtains were utilitarian, old and tired, designed to keep light out except 1) they didn't close tight and unless you are careful in positioning them, people can see into your room with a view of the bed. 2) a lot of light was getting in all around the edges, not making a dark room for sleeping.

The windows do open, however there are no security devices installed, therefore I had to keep the window on the front shut due to security purposes.

There is no mechanical ventilation in the room, so there was no fresh air coming into the room. Another advantage of having a fan/ heater/ AC unit installed in the room would be that it provides some white noise. This leads to the next point.

There needs to be some sound proofing; there were no guests adjacent to my room on either side, yet I could hear people coming and going like they were in the next room.

The decor is tired; the flooring, both lino and carpet are dated; the colour and pattern are at least 20 years old. The table, chairs and lamps are of the same vintage. Some of the art and frames in the room were garbage, they wouldn't even have been displayed in a second hand store.

In the bath area: there was no ventilation fan, only a window that opened to a filthy screen. There were BLACK MOULD SPOTS ON THE CEILING (this is actually a HEALTH ISSUE); the metal racks for the closet were rusty; the finish was gone on the ceiling lamp from the moisture, and the electric baseboard heater was rusty as well.

The flat scree TV was new and the dresser was decent.

I was only there for one night, so even though I had a lousy sleep from being in a too warm, too bright room, it was a great central location to downtown, several restaurants, and the things I needed to do.

Quality Inn - The potential is there - Spend some money and fix this place up, you will get repeat customers. I live in greater Victoria and would be one of them; however, I will not be back until it is cleaned up.

Last, in response to the QI manager's response to a previous comment regarding not needing Air Conditioning due to the cooler climate of the coast. I live in this region and you are partially correct on this point; however, with the lack of security on the windows, the noise AND the fact that in the high summer temperatures CAN and DO get upwards of 80 degrees, you need some A/C units in each room. Your hotel has a pretty substantial western exposure, and I'm sure the sunsets are beautiful in summer, BUT this also means that the rooms are going to be like ovens by late afternoon, with no means to cool them. Install the AC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for placing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I value your perception of our hotel. Please let me apologize for the aspects of your stay you were not unhappy with. We do not have air conditioning as you mentioned however, we do provide portable fans for guest comfort.Our room curtains are designed with a long and a short rod. The long rod side is closed first and the short rod side closed over generally closes the light out. We have thoroughly inspected the room you stayed in and have found no mold present.
I'm happy to hear you were pleased with our location, our comfortable beds and the cleanliness of your room. Our hotel will be beginning many guestroom updates this winter.
We invite you to return in the future and see improvements we will be making.

Liz Conrad & Quality Inn staff
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This Quality Inn is a Great location when visiting this gateway to the Olympic peninsula and the city of Victoria, BC. The staff is welcoming and very knowledgeable of the area. The rooms have front windows which give great views of the harbor. And the ferry to Victoria is down the hill. The Inn has a hot breakfast waiting and coffee at any time. Office staff have great restaurant suggestions and can give best locations in Olympic National Park. We planned to spend a night and ended up staying for three.

Room Tip: Go for a second floor room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for posting your great 5 star rating of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your comments with all the staff and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

tunaoue
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Driving vacation from California to Canada along the coast.
Port Angeles is the ONLY automobile transport ferry to and from Victoria, BC. There are other ferries to/from Vancouver island, but not to Victoria. Fee for car plus 2 adults is $77, one way.

We joined the Choice Hotel Choice Privileges rewards program. The promotion was for every two stays, get on night free. It was very difficult to get credit for our stays, rules are very specific and if you don't follow them to the letter, they don't credit you. So far, we stayed at 7 different Choice hotels (mostly Quality and Comfort Inns) for 12 nights. We have not gotten a single stay credit. One rule is you MUST reserve the room in advance. It's more difficult and problematic than it sounds. First, since we're traveling by SUV, we're using our iPhones to look up hotels in upcoming towns. We select one that seems okay and click the web link, make a call and speak to a person to make the reservation. We use our iPhone GPS to guide ourselves to the hotel and find that it's in a crappy part of town. Unfortunately, since we booked a reservation, it's non-refundable. My wife seriously considered loosing the money to go to a better location. A pet peeve I have is the reservation commits us to paying whether we like the place, or not -- however in exchange for the commitment we're not given any discount on price. There are plenty of rooms to choose from, so a reservation is not securing anything. So why bother making any reservation? Our lesson learned - and a great TIP for anyone reading this -- just show up at the hotel, if you like it, call the reservation phone number right there in the lobby to get credit. YES- it's ridiculous because the person behind the counter is a Choice Hotel agent themselves and should get you any promotional credit right then and there, but they don't. If you dislike the hotel, move on. In our case, there was a newer hotel 15 minutes away that my wife probably would have liked instead of this dump. BTW, when we got to the hotel, they said we booked through Wikipedia, not Choice Hotels, so sorry -- NO CREDIT. Watch the links on your smartphone, when we called, the booking agent did not mention they were Wikipedia and let us believe we were getting our credit night.
The hotel is downtown (they call it Uptown) and in an area where loads of homeless people are wandering the streets. We were concerned someone might break into our new BMW X3, or worse. Hate to show like you might have money in an area where so many desperate people are trying to survive. No doubt, I feel for them, but too many for any one person to lend a hand. Parking is very limited at the hotel, so I had to park at their annex building on the other block. Unloading our stuff was a chore as we made our way past the other cars to our room - 321. This room had two queen size beds, with very HARD mattresses.
The room seemed old and musty. It was more outlet challenged than other hotels, so we had to use our multi-extension to charge our personal electronics (i.e.; phones). This is a very minor issue.
Breakfast is complementary and has the standard cereals, breads, make your own waffles and variety of drinks. Breakfast area was okay, TV on CNN with low volume, newspaper optional.
The staff was "interesting". The young man in the evening was a problem. As I went to turn in my towels and request more, he was on his cell phone arguing with his girlfriend FOR OVER AN HOUR. He ignored me even though he saw I was waiting, after 10 minutes, I left, did some errands (Safeway grocery store is walking distance) but when I got back he was still fighting on the phone! Eventually, I did exchange my towels and he apologized, but still . . .
The lady the next day tried to help me with getting us credit even though we inadvertently booked through the wrong route. She was not successful, but I appreciate her efforts.
What can I saw, this was a lousy stay in a slightly sub-average hotel adjacent to the rough part of town. If you venture to Port Angeles to hop on the ferry to Victoria, B.C., look elsewhere. Slightly up the road is much nicer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear valued guest;
I appreciate you placing your review on tripadvisor. I am surprised to hear you were still dissatisfied with your stay after everything possible was done to correct the errors made with your reservation. In error you booked your hotel room through Expedia not through choicehotels.com. The rewards program does have booking guidelines. I researched and found your reward number for awarding points for your stay. Although your stay was booked through Expedia was not point eligable, our hotel purchased points and awarded these to your account .Please accept my sincere apology for the issues you experianced.
I also booked a second night for you personally, your request to extend your stay, and provided your reward number so your reward points would be given in your account for your second night of your stay.
It is unfortunate that you viewed a very unproffessional personal issue with a staff member during your stay. Please be assured this issue is being addressed to prevent further reoccurances with other guests.
Our hotel takes pride in taking care of our guests and it dissapoints me that you did not have a pleasant experiance while staying with us.
Please feel free to contact me directly to further address and correct the issues you experianced at my hotel.
I look forward to correcting your stay and inviting you to stay with us again in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Port Angeles hotels

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Supposedly an 'economy' lodging, the Quality Inn Uptown was a surprisingly easy walk to picturesque city sites, had a surprisingly roomy design in its first-floor rooms, and an equally surprisingly good complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Select a first-floor room for the extra size. Make use of Olympic National Park info in the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
We are very happy you placed your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel and the Port Angeles area. Thank you for the Great Five Star Review on our hotel! We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here when in town for Crabfest two years ago, so forgive me if I am not aware of any renos, etc.

I have to say, we had a very pleasant stay here. Sure, the hotel could use some cosmetic updating, but it was good value, clean, in a great location, and they fed you in the morning, something that is too rare at Canadian hotels.

We were very impressed by the staff, their committment to providing service and taking care of their hotel. We had a very nice conversation or two with Liz, who provided us with travel tips for the Sunday we were spending driving around the Olympic peninsula, a most memorable day for us. There was a young man, Jeremy (I think) who was also helpful when we needed information about the area. We enjoyed talking to staff members who seemed to enjoy the interaction.

We would stay at the Quality Inn Uptown again, if we are lucky enough to attend Crabfest again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
We appreciate you posting your review on Tripadvisor. We enjoyed your opinions of our hotel and staff very much. We do enjoy our guests and our hotel and are committed to taking care of all our guests. We Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the Crabfest! We hope to see you next year!

Liz Conrad, Jeremy, and all the Quality Inn staff
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The major redeeming feature to this Quality Inn is the staff! They are friendly and helpful and did go out of their way to make our stay pleasant. Although I have never stayed in a hotel that didn't have wine glasses to lend us! Location is directly up the street from the Coho so its handy to town if that is where you need to be!

This hotel however is in need of major updating! Rooms are large though and so are the windows so the room was bright and clean and the beds were comfortable athough there was a musty smell noticeable coming into the room. Be aware that there are no elevators and there are 30 stairs to each level of the hotel in their second building so if you are on the top floor (rooms 260 and up) you have 60 stairs to walk up and down each way.

Towels well worn, stains here and there on the carpet, dreary colours throughout (and a pink bathroom!), lobby smells of smoke as you walk in (though the whole place is non smoking) but all in all an ok place to stay if you are in Port Angeles.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Your review is very important to us. Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm not sure what happened with regards to the wine glasses. We do have wine glasses available for guest use. I will follow up with all staff to determine where this error was made. My apologies for the inconvenience.
I appreciate your kind comments about the staff and will share your review with all staff members.
Fall updating in guest bath areas will be happening soon. We are excited about the changes .
We hope you will give us another try and will love the improvements we are making.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Angeles
#4 of 16 in Port Angeles
Royal Victorian Motel
Royal Victorian Motel
#5 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Quality Inn Uptown? Share your experiences!