“Pristine area to explore the coast”

Salt Creek Recreation Area
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular coastal area was converted from an old military fort after World War II.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

During my trip to Olympic National Forest I stopped at Salt Creek and was surprised there were only 3 other cars in the entire park. The views were spectacular and the wild life abundant. I spent an hour or so but easily could have spend several days in the area. The restrooms at this facility were very clean with shower facilities. There were several camping spots available with some large enough for a full size RV. There are hiking trails, several picnic tables and fire rings.
The only issue that I ran into was taking a right out of Salt Creek and through Port Crescent which is privately owned area with signs on the beach front that say 'walk', 'beach comb', etc. but that is not for anyone that does not belong to the community. I stopped to take a picture and a property owner chased me down to tell me I was not allowed to stop on the road or take pictures from their private beach stating the owners were private people that did not like 'outsiders' in their back yard.
I mentioned better signage was in order to tell no one to stop. I got in my car to leave only to be followed by the resident in his truck until I was out of their community. I checked to see that Crescent Beach Road public thoroughfare. I am not sure if that is the typical interaction but I was surprised at the abrasiveness of the owner. I would not let a possible encounter with the owners at Port Crescent stop me from returning to Salt Creek to spend more time.

1  Thank TravelerDavidfromGA

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Not sure why some people have written such negative reviews about the tide pools. It's nature, and it's fantastic. The tide pools here are excellent, especially considering they are in a heavily trafficked area. We spent a couple of hours at low tide happily exploring and shooting photos. If you have patience and an interest in checking out fascinating tidepool creatures, you'll enjoy it. If you find nature boring and messy, give it a miss.

The campground? Your ordinary, average, crowded state park campground. We only stayed there because options are limited. But since it was part of a 3 week road trip, the showers in WA (and OR) state park campgrounds is greatly appreciated! In terms of any sort of privacy, the tent spots are definitely better than RV spots.

3  Thank kevin_from_AKandCO
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I were told there were sea otters and tidepools here. The old people in the RV reading books said "what is tide pool. Over there a rock." What?!? Apparently, the tidepools disappear and come back randomly, only going away when we arrived! We were promised an octopus and jellyfishes. No jellyfishes. No octopus. Some guy in a tight body suit that the octopuses were under water. What!?! Nobody told us that! We thought they'd be up on a rock during the day like the turtles we saw in the lake. Also: no. Sea. Otters. Anywhere! None!! The old people said, "what is otter? Like small sea bear?" I said NO. OTTER. Like...Like..."Weasel Fish." This elicited some thoughtful nodding. "Oh. Yes. I see it, this Weasel Fish. He have black hand...little mask...stripe on tail. He make the garbage pail open up. Eat feces in camp dump." No, elder! That's a raccoon. We were told the SEA WEASEL lives here, and FROLICS AND GAMBOLS about in the SEA KELP!!!! "Nyet. He have small hands and a fin like...who you say it...'Freedom Willy'? On this dolphin show that my grand daughter see it in New York. He have small black hand and a fin, skin like smooth belly of obese man that take to drinking. He have furry be-hind but flippers in the back. Some time he spit juice through a hole in his back, make a chit-chit-chit sound through buck teeth. He have tail like a flat sausage, for to carry mud to his block home in the stream-pond. He have a wife. He have child out of egg but yet...he is mammal and take milk from his mother's armpit. This...this is the one." Oh, I said. Just...oh.

5  Thank Leezard123
Reviewed 23 September 2013

What an amazing place. We only stopped by to see the scenery but if we were campers we would surely return to stay a few days.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Just looked like a bunch of washed in crud to us. Why bother? The camping area reminded me of some refugee camp. No privacy in the RV areas but the tent areas had some minimal privacy.

2  Thank jacjsc