“Went out of their way...”

and 1 more site!
Rooster Hill Short Stay Suites
Ranked #8 of 14 Port Angeles B&B and Inns
Grants Pass
“Went out of their way...”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We had other accommos but were dissatisfied so we called Peggy & Layne. Even tho' they were out of town & on their way back to the Inn, they opened up a room for us. Their family was close by to show us around until the owners arrived. How grateful we were that Peggy & Layne went out of their way to provide us with lodging at the last minute. Now that's HOSPITALITY!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Badin, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2012

My wife and I spent three nights at the Inn At Rooster Hill during the first week of August, 2012. We enjoyed both the nice accommodations and the hospitality provided by the Frehner family. They gave us good advice about places to eat, sights to see, and the timing of our arrival at the ferry landing for a day trip to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Meals served at the Inn were very good. We especially liked the location, just outside of Port Angeles, in a rural setting, with easy access to the main roads. If we ever make it back to the Olympic Peninsula, we hope a room will be available for us at the Inn At Rooster Hill.

Room Tip: A variety of rooms are available, with a variety of window views. We spent our days travelling, so t...
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I really don't understand the 5 star reviews. Seriously? My wife and I stayed two nights on our way to Sooke, BC to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Upon our arrival, my wife mentioned to the hostess that we were on our way to Sooke to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Rather than saying "congratulations" the hostess informed my wife that the next day was their 40th anniversary and then went on about what they were planning to do. Very tacky. We stayed in the Karmen room and it was very disappointing. The single window looked out on some old junk that was apparently being stored there, there wasn't really any place to hang clothes, no place to put the suitcases and the bedroom was tiny. The bathroom, on the other hand was huge, lots of wasted space. It's too bad some of that space wasn't added to the bedroom. The jacuzzi looked inviting until we saw all the signs about what not to do and that, as I recall, we would be charged if there was a problem. They left soap on the edge of it but my wife was told we shouldn't use any soap in it at all. What? Breakfasts were OK, nothing special and certainly not 5-star B&B quality. On our second morning there was a couple that mentioned a problem when they checked in the day before. The hostess said they were off celebrating their 40th anniversary and it all the fault of the person who checked them in and never really apologized for the problem. I was astounded. We've stayed in a lot of B&B's, many of which are true 5-star inns, like Hartmann House, Beaconsfield Inn, and Abigail's Hotel so we do have some experience and can make valid comparisons. If I could give it 2.5 stars I would.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
4 Thank RLMskier
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 26 October 2012

The Inn at Rooster Hill is in a relatively quiet location that's just on the edge of Port Angeles. It is a farm style B&B. The rooms are cute and comfortable but not luxurious. This is one of the best values in the Port Angeles area.

The hosts are terrific and very accommodating. The breakfast was very good - not fantastic but very good. Some of the rooms are small so I'd recommend renting one of the larger rooms.

I think the B&B is lacking some of the extras and luxuries of a more equisite B&B but the price is right.

Room Tip: Choose a larger room or suite.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I enjoy staying at a B&B. It is so much nicer than a nameless / faceless hotel. And, I particularly liked the Inn at Rooster Hill.

It felt like I was visiting relatives. Can't understand crabby people who don't like dogs. I picked this place specifically because a true "dog" person has the capacity to open their heart and care for others.

I found this to be the case with the owners. They were wonderful, and very accommodating. Stayed on the top floor in the Lauren room. Nice room. Very quiet. Nice private deck where you could sit outside and smell the ocean breeze combined with the scent of the forest. Heady stuff.

The owners went out of their way to make sure that every need was taken care of. They even allowed me to park my rental car on the property overnight so that I could take a quick trip to Victoria, B.C. Gave me a sack breakfast, then dropped me off at the ferry terminal and picked me up after the trip was over.

And through it all cute little Coco, the resident "watchdog," supervised the comings and goings of all the guests, wagging her tail in welcome. Very sweet puppy.

Wish I could comment on the food, but had to leave so early that I made do with a sack breakfast that the owner was kind enough to volunteer to put together for me. It include a homemade muffin, fruit and yogurt. If her breakfasts are as good as that muffin, then I'm sure here guests are in for a treat!

Yes, the place is off the beaten path, buy the GPS located it without a problem. And, if I wanted something convenient and ordinary, I could have stayed at a hotel. Also, as another guest noted, the stairs are steep, and there are two flights to climb to get to the top, but I made it without a problem. However, if you are traveling with anyone that has problems with stairs, just be aware . . .

Liked this place and loved the owners and their dog.

Should I get back to Port Angeles, will make it a point to stay at the Inn at Rooster Hill.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to confirm you reservation and specify which room you plan to sleep in. If you have problem...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank PhoenixRising88
Seattle
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Yes, we have once again had a delightful stay at Rooster Hill. Fabulous breakfasts (a little bit too big, but beautiful, healthy and delicious) plus comfy rooms and excellant hospitality always make staying there so relaxing. I don't know what it is but staying in the Madison room is heaven for me. I always sleep like a rock. The location is also excellant. Close enough to town to have a nice dining experience and centrally located for hiking, biking, kayaking, wine tasting, etc. Its a wonderful mixture of down home and being pampered.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The very steep staircase to the second floor and tiny landing made this B&B a challenge for the seniors I was travelling with (I'd asked specifically about this when making pre-reservation inquiries). The decor was quaint but not especially high end. The directions we were given were inadequate and with the municipal road signage hidden behind tree branches, a Rooster Hill arrow or something would definitely help. While we were eating the skimpy breakfast the porky pup wandered in and out of the kitchen a couple times which I can't say is up to usual health authority standards. Would we give the Inn at Rooster Hill a try again? Nope! We cry "fowl".

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family