“In a word - BASIC”
Review of Riviera Inn

Riviera Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We arrived after driving from Portland to explore Olympic national park a bit. We did not have prior reservations but were greeted by friendly voices on the phone and was able to reserve a queen room on an apparently busy night in Port Angeles with the marathon going on, so rooms were at a premium (apparently). Everyone else was charging upwards of $90 and up while the place with very good reviews here was up for $70 for a queen ($90 for a king)?! How would we pass it up?!

In hindsight, we should have. While I appreciate those whose has written their reviews here, they are overly "glowy" on the rooms - I guess if details are left out i gives a whole different view.

So here are the good:
Close to downtown and right on highway, cheaper than everywhere else, and the rooms and linens are really quite clean as the reviewers have stated. The location is safe and despite its location close to the highway, fairly quiet with the traffic noise. A tabletop oscillating fan is provided to keep the air moving. Nice flat screen TV placed on a low set of drawers is hardly viewable while laying in bed and needed to be elevated. There is a small microwave and cube refrigerator provided but are placed on the floor so access is rather difficult.

Here are the not so good details:
The bed is very firm as are the pillows (some people like this....just not my preference). The shower is very small (a 3 foot by 3 foot cubicle) and doesn't drain completely as the drain cover was installed on top of the shower floor. There is no hair dryer, and outlets are sparse. You can hear every shower and toilet from around your room being used and voices travel easily from room to room it seems. Some nitpicky stuff - the microwave is wayyy dated (the once white door is yellow) and missing a knob, the decor is from the mid 80s-ish, and the veneer on some furniture is being held on by scotch tape. If you forget your towel before you get in the shower, well you'll be walking wet to get it. In all, the Riviera Inn is in need of a substantial renovation.

To be honest, if you need a place to lay your head it's fine. The price we paid was too high given the quality of room (we paid more here than at a name brand near Portland which was an excellent value). We will probably not be staying here again if we visit Port Angeles.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Riviera Inn

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I have been working a PRN job at the local Hospital, driving in from out-of-town for two days/week for the past few months. Riviera Inn Motel has been my "home-away-from-home" during this time. While it is a pretty typical little motel for the area, the things that make it stand out for me are: the rooms are always CLEAN; I have always felt safe there; and the people who manage the hotel are very wonderful and accommodating. You can tell that they care about you, and want to make your stay comfortable. Since they knew I would be staying with them a few nights every week, they were willing to give me a lower rate. The rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave, which has been very helpful for meals, without having to eat out at a restaurant all the time. The TVs have been upgraded; and they have free WI-FI. While there has been no breakfasts during the time I've been staying with them (off-season) - that was not a problem for me, as I usually ate at the Hospital's cafeteria (where the food is delicious - they have chefs!!).
This is somewhere I will continue to return to anytime I need to stay in Port Angeles!!! Highly recommend!!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stay overnight in Port Angeles 2-3 times a year, and always stay here, and always will!

It has everything I need in a hotel room:

#1 - CLEAN!! The room is always clean, meaning dusted, vacuumed, sparkling clean bathroom--even the corners are clean! (I can't even tell you how much that means to me, as I have seen grungy bathroom floor corners, in even expensive hotels, which grosses me out.)

#2 - All the extra comforts I need: MICROWAVE OVEN, mini-REFRIDGERATOR with freezer section (without being an annoying mini-bar, where you can't fit even one of your personal items, which is so useless to me. I like to eat dinner in my room, and refreeze my lunchbag freezer packs for the next day.) FAN - even in winter, to create that white noise to drown out the road noise. DESK, and free WI-FI.

#3 - Flat Screen TV, which they just added. I don't need this, as the previous TV was fine to me, but it's a nice touch.

#4 - Comfortable bed, not worn out, and clean. (I have stayed at other places where I woke up sore. Not the case here. No, it's not the best bed, but good enough for a good night's sleep.)

#5 - Fresh coffee available early in the morning. They also have some oatmeal packs, tea and hot water. Also, Emergen-C packets, and snack Wheat Thin packages, all included.

The staff is such a kind couple, and Meenie always remembers me, and smiles easily. She quickly brought me a fan once, when one was missing from my room. Once, she even let me switch rooms, without a fuss.

Please, next time you stay in Port Angeles, and don't need a pool or a connected restaurant, etc., consider staying here. Let's all strive to spend our dollars at local businesses first, rather than the chain hotels, with out-of-state headquarters, who often offer less, for more money.

Thanks, Meenie!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I paid $50/night, but then again, it was in the middle of December and the temperature outside was 10 Fahrenheight. Not exactly tourist weather, so I assume prices would go up when the season is nicer. As always, every time I come here, the place is really clean and the owners are extremely friendly and accomodating. Great stay, thanks a lot Riveria Inn !!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We were passing through and needed a budget place to stay that would accept a 60 pound dog. The rooms were large and reasonably clean. The location was close to the ferry dock, easy to find and had plenty of parking. The TV was very small, but there was a fridge and microwave. There was plenty of hot water and the water pressure was great.
It was right on the main road and the traffic was heavy. I thought it would let up late at night, but it never did. Just loud traffic noise all day, all night. If you aren't bothered by extreme road noise, this place is a really good deal. If you need peace and quiet go somewhere else.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor near the road. (Pet friendly room). It was terribly noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2012

What you'd expect for 66 bucks w/ tax. Clean, good internet connection, comfortable bed. Room had a slight odor. Coffee in the lobby in the morning, but no breakfast. By the time you go out an buy breakfast (for two in our case) it makes it a $75 to $85 stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My friend and I stayed here during a trip to the Olympic National Park. We started our stay during the labor day weekend, which is a higher rate, but we stayed for 4 nights, including Mon and Tue nights where rates dropped. However, when my friend renewed our room for the 3rd and 4th night, and even though she asked if we can get a lower rate since it is no longer high demand days, they only gave a $5 concession. Just out of curiosity I called for a quote after my friend already paid, since the lack of adjustment is unusual, and the quoted rate over the phone was about $20 lower. One would expect that people that are staying for consecutive nights would get the better rate, and most places do give muti-day stay customers the better rate, but this place doesn't. If you're thinking about staying for a few days, I would call their reservation line for a quote and ask them to match.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business