I know what it's like to spend hours searching for a good hotel on TripAdvisor, so I'm going to save you some time - just book this one, it's fantastic. Seriously. There are many hotels in Port Angeles, but most of them are seedy and low-quality. Don't be lulled by the ocean view at the Red Lion; this hotel is in a quieter location, and for the same price is much, much nicer. If that's all you need, fantastic. If you'd like more detail, read on!
My wife and I stayed here for two nights in mid-April 2012, on a trip to explore Olympic National Park. After a 30 minute ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge, it's an easy 90-minute drive to Port Angeles, and all parts of the park are extremely accessible from there. We spent two days exploring Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, Sol Duc, Rialto Beach, and the Hoh Rainforest, all of which I would recommend.
We did not eat at the restaurant, so I can't speak to that, but the front desk staff were extremely professional and friendly, as were the restaurant staff who let us take some creamers for our morning coffee in the room.
I've stayed at quite a few hotels, almost always in King rooms, so I can say with some authority that these ones are enormous. Definitely "oversized," and it felt luxurious. Make no mistake, when they say "view" room, it's mostly a view of the golf course, although we could see a little bit of the Olympic mountains from our second floor room. All the same, it's worth the extra money to be on the quiet side of the hotel, away from the road. I'd recommend a third floor room for the best view, and a room at the west end, away from the hot tub and pool, for the quietest stay. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were very soft, and the bathroom and shower were of particularly high quality. It was great to have a microwave and mini-fridge, in addition to the standard coffee maker.
The "great room" in the lobby is very nicely done, with comfortable leather couches, high ceilings, beautiful photography and a roaring fireplace. It's definitely a welcoming atmosphere when you first arrive. I would definitely recommend making use of the hot tub (or "spa" as they call it!). We had a very clear night, quite cool, and very much enjoyed sitting out and looking up at the stars. It would be great if it was open a little later than 10:00 pm (we didn't make it back in time on our second night), however there are guest rooms just above it so I guess it makes sense (we had an older couple glaring down at us from their room at 9:45 pm the first night).
If you have AAA, be sure to make use of that discount when booking. I was incredibly impressed by the value at this hotel, which would have been far more expensive in other cities. As mentioned, there are many "budget" hotels in PA but not many quality ones. This one is absolutely the best, and they pride themselves on that and want to uphold that standard. Do yourself a favor and book the Olympic Lodge now.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come visit Port Angeles’ Premier Hotel, the Olympic Lodge! Located on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, the Olympic Lodge offers the finest accommodations in a location that’s difficult to beat. Backed by the Olympic Mountains with the Strait of Juan de Fuca in the foreground, a variety of adventures are all close at hand. ▪ Choose from our 105 spacious rooms ▪ We have meeting space for any occasion: business meetings, retreats, receptions, family gatherings ▪ Relax by our heated pool and hot tub, open year round ▪ Play golf at the course adjacent to the hotel ▪ Join us for a scrumptious breakfast ▪ Enjoy the personalized service and hospitality offered by our experienced staff! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Olympic Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Olympic Hotel Port Angeles
- Best Western Port Angeles