“Nice hotel, bad experience!”
Review of Olympic Lodge

Olympic Lodge
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night. We were on our honeymoon and were doing a trip around the Olympic Peninsula. I spent a lot of time planning and booking for each portion of our trip and was confident that I had picked the best places in each town.

The hotel is nice, its about a mile or 2 from the "downtown" area but close enough to feel like you are part of everything. It is off the main road and could be easy to pass. The lobby and some rooms overlook a golf course and it is a nice view. It is beautifully decorated in the lobby and the rooms.

We did run in to a problem on our stay. The problem itself was an irritating but small problem. The way we were treated turned it in to a big problem.

We had an activity planned early in the morning and needed to get up and showered and out of the door. I wanted to take a shower so I turned it on. Scalding hot water was the only thing you could get. The shower was clearly not working properly. It was dangerously hot and I could not use it. I called the front desk to see if there was a trick. The guy admitted that there had been problems with the showers and offered to send up a maintenance person up. I did not have time to wait so I just washed my hair in the sink and finished getting ready.

We went to check out and he asked how my stay was. I told him it was fine other than the lack of a working shower. He laughed and told me that they were going to fix it and the next person that stayed there would have a working shower. I don't know about you but the last thing I want to hear is that someone else who will be paying the same rate as I will be blessed with a better experience. At that point I was upset but just took the card for the GM and left the building. I am not the type of person to get angry at someone that is not responsible.

I emailed the GM and explained the whole ordeal. She replied with an apology and told me that there were no known problems with the showers and she didn't know why he would tell me that. (My experience with also being a manager in a customer service industry is the new employees have not yet learned what not to share. I am sure there were known issues and he let it slip) She also explained that she was there and was not made aware of the problem. She offered me an upgrade on my next stay.

I live a long way from Washington and will not likely come back anytime soon. I did reply again because the email did come across as a blow off. I have yet to hear back and I am assuming I wont. I did get a "Thank you for staying. We hope you enjoyed your visit." email yesterday.

I paid $150 for a room with out a shower. I sure hope the next person does get a shower. That does not mean that I was less deserving of a shower though. It was upsetting to be made to feel like I was. Life happens, mistakes are made. How you choose to handle them can change the experience from bad to good in an instant and the same is true for the reverse.

I will update this review if there is any change.

Room Tip: Test the shower as soon as you check in.
3  Thank Diamondsonhertoes
Holly D, General Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

I wanted to extend my sincerest apologies for the service you received during your recent visit to the Olympic Lodge. Certainly this is not the impression we choose to leave with our guests and does not support our longstanding commitment to guest service. I assure you I have followed up with our new employee as well as our entire staff to reiterate our guest service expectations and let this serve as a valuable learning experience. I am sorry our offer to send our maintenance team wasn’t within your time restrictions and wish we could have resolved the situation prior to your departure.

I appreciate the time you have taken through our email correspondence & Trip Advisor reviews to let us know our areas for improvement. I have also left a message for you and welcome the opportunity to discuss with you personally at any time. We value our customers and without feedback such as yours we could not continue to improve and maintain our # 1 placement on Trip Advisor.

Thank you again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you personally.

There are newer reviews for Olympic Lodge

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The room was great, the service was great, easy to park and a beautiful fireplace in the lobby. Te only thing I didn't find were the complimentary cookies and soup mentioned on the website, I guess they don't have that on a Thursday in low season :).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jonasvdv
Holly D, General Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for your review! We are happy to know that you felt welcome here at the Olympic Lodge. Unfortunately we only serve our soup and cookies during the winter months, so we just recently stopped serving them during the evening. You will have to come visit us in the winter to give our tasty goodies a try!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just had a 2 day stay and it was as advertised

excellent beds and pilllows-- nice bathrooms and good internet

i did not use the restaurant

well located close to downtown and Victoria ferry

go for a room over golf course-- quieter

1  Thank jfadds

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay here at the Olympic Lodge! Our guest rooms are equipped with Simmons pillow top mattress. We are delighted to hear you were able to comfortably enjoy your stay! We also provide complimentary wireless internet and three networks to ensure our guests can easily connect and browse quickly. We are happy to hear all went well, and we look forward to having you back next time you are visiting Port Angeles!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

After reading reviews and trying to pick out a hotel for visiting Olympic national park we are so glad we booked a night at the Olympic lodge.
We wish we could have stayed another night, the location for visiting the park is perfect especially for Hurricane ridge, Lake crescent and Sol duc area.
After driving around Port Angeles honestly this is absolutely the best hotel in the area, everything else looked very mediocre or run down.
Everything about the Olympic lodge was beautiful including the hotel itself from the outside, the golf course around it and the beautiful lobby and grounds.
We checked in late afternoon, front desk lady was very friendly she helped us find great restaurants in the area and suggested where we could get a drink.
Port Angeles is quite a small town with a lot of restaurants that have unusual hours that we are not used to, they were either closed all day or opened from 10am-3pm which is the time we are hiking, just small town hours I guess.
She also said if we needed any help with information about Olympic she could help us.
The lobby area is gorgeous with a lovely open room and a large fireplace.
There was a pool and hot tub open year round, I did not bring proper attire for that otherwise I would have definitely got in, it looked lovely.
We got our keys we had 3rd floor which is top floor , we had a room with a view of the golf course and mountains absolutely stunning, that was a view we loved waking up to.
The room was extremely big and the bed was a fantastic King so clean, so comfortable.
It had a desk area , a large lounge chair, large flat screen, fridge, coffee maker.
The bathroom was very nice and clean, and 2 sinks areas which is nice when getting ready.
We loved everything about the room and the hotel.
The price for what you got was extremely reasonable, under $140 with all taxes.
There is a place to eat in the hotel , we chose to have that for breakfast it is a little pricey for what you get, but really great food.
The lady waiting on us for breakfast was really nice and friendly, my DH thought he got potatoes and fruit with his breakfast but it was one or the other and I said I wanted some fruit, so when he didn't get potatoes he was sad, but she still bought him out a separate plate of the potatoes at no extra charge, she was a very nice lady.
We checked out with another friendly member of staff and was very sad to do so, if we ever go back to this area this would definitely be our hotel of choice, best hotel of our trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jade M

We are thrilled to hear you had such a great stay with us here at the Olympic Lodge. We pride ourselves in our sincere passion for hospitality. From front desk agents to restaurant staff we are always striving to provide our guests with the best service possible. Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next trip back to the Olympic Peninsula!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The title says it all. Very nice room and grounds; great, helpful staff; nice breakfast cooked to order. Motel is back from the street an a little hard to find - but also quiet.
Recommend reservations, especially in season.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Patio Rooms are at back and face the golf course and have nice fountains/water feature outside
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Olympic Lodge and sharing your review on your stay here! We are tucked back from the main road, so though it is not as visible as some hotels, our location provides a serene environment for our guests. We work hard on keeping our guest rooms and property grounds in top shape to enhance the comfort and view for our guests.
It’s a great pleasure to hear that our guests enjoyed our staff. Our goal is to always leave a great impression by providing the best service possible. We hope to have you back at the Olympic Lodge soon!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The signage is poor and you really have to be looking carefully to see the hotel from the highway. We used the Super 8 sign as a reference. The outside of the property is very attractive, as is the interior lobby. The rooms are fairly standard. The breakfast area is a tad pricy, but the food is good and it "underlooks" a golf course. (The banks of the course slide down towards the hotel.)

The real difference here is the staff, which is outstanding. We had some health problems, and everyone from the front desk, through housekeeping promptly handled our issues with smiles and grace. Even the waitress in the restaurant remembered who could eat what.

There are other less expensive accommodations in the area, which are good places to stay, but the staff at the Olympic Lodge is what would have us coming back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Holly D, General Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for choosing Olympic Lodge as your choice hotel while traveling to the Olympic
Peninsula. We are tucked back from the main road, so though it is not as visible as some hotels,
property in top shape to enhance the view for our guests.
There is nothing better than hearing that our guests enjoyed engaging with our staff. Our goal
is to always leave a great impression by providing the best service possible. We are so sorry to
hear that you experienced health issues on your vacation. We hope that you are able to come
back and get the full experience of the beautiful Olympic Peninsula. Thank you for your kind
words. We hope to have you back at the Olympic Lodge soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Visiting family in the small town of Port Angeles left me with few options for lodging. One of the options was the Olympic Lodge, and in my opinion, probably the best choice. Front desk was always quick friendly. Great customer service. The room was clean and an excellent size for unwinding after a day of activities. From top to bottom, Olympic Lodge is a great property!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John T

We are thrilled to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here at the Olympic Lodge. We pride
ourselves in our genuine passion for hospitality. From front desk agents to housekeeping we are
always working our hardest to provide the best service possible for our guests. Thank you for
taking the time to share your thoughts with our staff and the TripAdvisor community. We look
forward to your next stay with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Angeles
#5 of 16 in Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Olympic Lodge? Share your experiences!