“Nicely Updated”

Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Vancouver, Canada
“Nicely Updated”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We would have thought the hotel was fairly new but the pink tiles in the bathroom gave it away! We arrived on a Saturday and there was a farmer's market directly across the street so very convenient. Hotel has free parking and is located much closer (20 minutes walk) to Temple Square than I expected. The kitchen is well equipped with a full-size fridge, dishwasher, four-burner stove and microwave. No oven though. The area is fine; there are some homeless people hanging around because of the proximity to the liquor store, but they were no issue for us and seem to be all over SLC anyway. The outdoor pool was great in the heat of summer - too many kids in the pool but I guess that's to be expected at this time of year.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We choose the Residence Inn in downtown Salt Lake City because we were looking for a 2 bedroom - 2 bath room to share with my brother and his wife. This was the final stay of our week long stay in Montana, Wyoming and Utah. This room was the most reasonably priced stay of our week. Courteous staff and clean, large room with living space and kitchen for less than $200 on a Saturday night. This hotel is within a few blocks of walk of more than a dozen restaurants. I would highly recommend this hotel location. Please note that construction is underway on a portion of the hotel which may be disruptive on weekdays stays. I would ask the hotel about their construction when making your reservations for the remainder of August and into September.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Rigby, Idaho
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I booked a youth group at this hotel several months ago for a stay in Aug. 2013. I worked with Blair McDonald in the group travel dept. He was outstanding. When we started planning the trip we did not know for sure how man youth would be attending or adults. Blair was great at quoting prices, as well as giving us several option on different room types. As the date approached for our departure we had several different room changes up to the day before we left. Blair was great to work with. He made all the changes with a smile and what was more amazing is he kept it all straight!! We ended up with thirty youth and eleven leaders. On the day of our arrival we were able to check in early enabling us to leave our luggage and go about our youth conference without worrying about bags. Everything was very professional. The kids loved the pool. The breakfast was above average. The hotel even had a BBQ on the first night we were there. The rooms were clean and large. Just perfect for our group. I would stay there again. I loved the service. It was within walking distance of Trax to downtown so we were able to park our large fifteen passenger vans at the hotel and avoid the traffic. Thank you Blair and the staff for a great trip!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Jared S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Hi LisaC214 -

Thank you for the review--and especially for the details about Blair and our other staff! I love hearing and forwarding positive feedback to my associates. I'm glad to hear that your youth conference was a success. Hopefully we will see you again soon. Next year?

- Jared
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Spent 6 days here for a conference with my wife. Service was outstanding. Breakfast was above average, very well attended by staff and a bit of variety daily on the hot items. Had an evening spread on three evenings, Tue-Thur, the week we were there, which was good and took the place of needing to find a place for dinner. Located in two buildings. We stayed in the the main one. Our king room had two rooms, bedroom and bath area and kitchenette & living area. Furnishings, while nice and pretty basic were beginning to show some wear and tear, but room was very clean. Kitchenette was very well stocked, except for some dish soap. They apparently assumed that 100% of everything would go into the dishwasher. Bath vanity was really small for such a large room and seemed much lower than normal, so we really had to bend over to use it. Needs a larger and higher vanity. Have plenty of room in the bedroom area to do that. Tile in bath/shower reminded us of the 70's decor. Bed was good, but not superior. Would stay there again. They are planning a major remodeling during the last quarter of 2013, so it will be interesting to see what changes during the remodel. Contractors were taking measurements for the remodel during our stay. We'd love to stay in again in early 2014 after the remodel and see what the difference is.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello davenmanja -

We are looking forward to our upcoming renovation for many of the reasons that you mentioned. In fact, we have already begun work on the exterior of the buildings. Work on the interior will begin at the end of October. When you stay with us next, you will hardly recognize the lobby, etc., and that "amazing" bathroom tile will be gone!

Please know that I will pass on your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Best Regards -
Jared
Tooele, Utah
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My sisters and I stayed at this location and 2 of the 3 of us had our cars towed and 1 had a boot, because we were not properly notified of where exactly we could park. We were told we could park "around the fountain" and assumed that meant anywhere near the fountain. Unfortunately, it did not. We apparently parked in the adjacent apartment complex's lot and we were towed after 2 hours. $260 for each car later and some time in a sketchy part of town, my sisters and I were less than thrilled with the front desk and how they treated us. We understand that it is not their parking lot and they have no responsbility for it, but a little bit of kindess would have been appreciated. If you stay here, make sure you get VERY SPECIFIC instructions on where you can park and then double check after parking to make sure you are in the right place. Also, the WIFI is very slow in the hotel. The free breakfast was definitely the highlight of the stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hi Camille T -

I am sorry to hear about the parking trouble. Whatever the issue, and regardless of "fault," I expect that our staff will approach each situation with an empathetic, listening ear. It sounds like we have room to improve. Thank you for highlighting this service shortfall. Please know that we will address and improve based on your feedback.

As a note, we have just finished upgrading the wi-fi experience at the hotel. While we are still "dialing in" a few things, it is already a significant improvement in both speed, and signal strength.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again soon!

- Jared
los ángeles, ca
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I shared this feedback via a hotel comment card AND a customer survey 2-3 weeks before posting this, providing time for a hotel manager to respond, but I'm disappointed that I haven't heard any response.

We arrived a little past midnight to check in, and called ahead to inform the staff that we would check in late. Upon arrival, the front desk employee was not eager to help me (in a variety of ways, which I detailed in my feedback directly to the hotel). Essentially, the employee displayed an attitude that I was disrupting his quiet evening alone.

(If the hotel is reading this, I checked in the night of July 23, 2013/early morning of July 24, 2013. I believe the front desk employee's name was Derrick, but am not positive on that. Please check your scheduling records.)

The gentleman was polite, but it quickly became aware, as I checked in with 2 tired children, that he couldn't be bothered to provide me with a map to the property (large campus with multiple buildings) at midnight, wherein security immediately became a large concern. Parking was clearly full and difficult - I pictured myself walking aimlessly across a large, outdoor, unsecured campus with two young children, looking for my building and room, while masses of aggressive homeless are lingering around. Not the best "Welcome to Residence Inn - we hope you enjoy your stay!" message ever. Couldn't find me a trash can (when I'm sure there was one behind the front desk), couldn't offer a property map, couldn't find one when asked multiple times to do so, I had to ask 2-3 times for a luggage cart to be made available, and overall made the communication process of our check-in experience very difficult. He wasn't capable of running my credit card during checkin (he told me my card was declined, but the card worked fine at several other locations earlier that day, as well as the next day). I can only deduce that he didn't know how to use the machine, or had some other error but wouldn't say that. We did put the whole balance of the stay on that same card upon checkout, with no problems. (Checkout was a different employee.)

I'm sure this isn't what a hotel wants its customers experiencing after a day of travel. I have worked front-desk at a hotel early in my career and I know when an employee was doing almost nothing. I know overnight shifts are difficult, but that shouldn't show through to a customer. Ever.

I'm disappointed in this employee, but moreso on the manager for not following up with me (I have provided my cell phone number with each comment I have left). An employee and a hotel cannot improve without a manager's prompt to do so.

On a positive note, the morning meal buffet was great, and the staff there were delightfully helpful. After a bad experience with the front desk, I took to directing my questions to the breakfast staff instead.

The condition of our room (151) was a little old. The bathroom could use some maintenance (paint peeling, some caulking & sealing). The furniture arrangement in the master bedroom (2 room suite) was just plain awkward. I'd recommend to staff that they change it up.

Room Tip: There are multiple buildings with long corridors. We had an infant in a carseat & stroller so re...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here one night in a two bedroom suite on our way to Jackson Hole, Wy. Everyone was so very nice, rooms were very clean and the breakfast was good. It is downtown and a close walk to shops, restaurants and pubs. We were on the second floor and had a balcony we could sit and chat on in the evening as it was much too hot (103) in the daytime.

Room Tip: Choose the second or third floors as there is a park across the street that looked to have a lot of...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family