“Not up to Residence Inn standards”

Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #39 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I've been a fan of Residence for a long time. However this stay was a huge disappointment. I arrived sick and exhausted. There was no dish soap. The refrigerator was broken, the safe didn't work, the dishwasher sounded like a jackhammer, and worst of all there was no hot water, so I got to take an ice water shower, which didn't help my illness any. I checked out as soon as possible.

On the positive side, the staff was generally friendly, the hotel offered a discount for my very unpleasant experience, and apparently they are renovating or plan to renovate the hotel soon. However, until renovations are complete, I'd avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn over the Christmas holiday during a trip to Salt Lake City for a skiing trip. We were placed in a room in a secondary building that was being remodeled. There was dust, noise, and weird smells associated with the remodeling project. The first morning we woke up to find that our room had very little hot water, insufficient for even a single short shower. We called the front desk and they sent somebody to the room to investigate. The man checked the water heater and said that it was old and there wasn't anything he could do to fix it without replacing it. They moved us to a second room, which thankfully had hot water. The internet speed was pathetic. I ran an internet speed test several times and the fastest speed encountered was only 270 kbps. The cleanliness of the common areas is very poor not only because of the remodeling but in general. The parking lot was poorly cleared of snow and ice and there was a lot of litter and garbage in the 'courtyard'.

I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Demand a room in the main building, perhaps it would be better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Jared S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Good Afternoon Heartmountain -

Thank you for taking time to share your experience and concerns. While we strive to offer the exceptional products and services that you have come to expect at Marriott, we fell short of that goal during your stay. I am sincerely sorry for that.

We constantly monitor water heater performance, and work to stay ahead of them. When a water heater does stop working correctly, we hurry to repair or replace. I recognize the inconvenience that the water heater failure caused you. I also appreciate your feedback regarding cleanliness, and have reviewed your comments in our staff meeting.

We have made great progress on the renovation since December. I would love to welcome you back to the hotel as renovation wraps-up.

Hoping for a second chance.

- Jared

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I will go straight to what went wrong:
1) The building 2 where we slept was in the middle of remodeling and refreshing work with a lot of construction tools everywhere, I had to watch my kids to avoid accident. Plus it was dusty and noisy.
2) The breakfast room is clearly undersized for the crowd of December plus most of the food was not available after 9 oclock or you have to queue 20 minutes to get a waffle...
3) Gym was moved to another room because of the work of remodeling, but no one reconnected the treadmills so it was out of order.

Room Tip: Ask a room in the main building
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Great location, great staff, in process of being remodeled so be forewarned.. My room in building #2 was just completed and was spotless..Im OCD so when I say it was spotless it was..My only complaint was the management could have done a better job of making sure the construction crews after finishing for the day cleaned up better than they did. The halls and elevators were not cleaned every day, and they should have been.. Mgr there was a huge help in getting me in the perfect room as I was there for an extended period of time. The rooms are very spacious. I have stayed there 3 times total. I would highly recommend..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We always love our stays at the Residence Inn in fact my husband travels for work and has already spent 200 nights with Marriott this year. It is always clean and the staff are very friendly infact they make you feel like family.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am pretty loyal when it comes to Marriott, but this stay was not up to standards. With so many Marriott choices in Salt Lake, I wish I would have been informed about the remodel before I was standing in the lobby with my bags. If you don't mind construction noise, paint fumes, a thick layer of construction dust in your bathtub and the fact that the smoke detectors didn't seem to be hooked up throughout the building - then you might be ok. If you can ignore all this, and the fact that the cleaning job was so poorly done that their was obvious dirt around the room, then you might do fine here (but you should ask for a discount!)

Room Tip: Try to get in the building that isn't being remodeled.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel was excellent. It is right downtown, yet feels tucked away. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. The only real issue I have is they are in the middle of construction so the gym is not great in the temporary space. But, overall, one of the best hotels I have stayed at.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business