“Clean, spacious, and affordable - great experience”

Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
New York City, New York
“Clean, spacious, and affordable - great experience”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed five nights here with my brother and couldn't have asked for a better experience. We came to ski in Park City and the Cottonwood Canyons, and the location of the Residence Inn SLC City Center was a perfect central jumping off point.

Rooms: All rooms at this hotel are suites, and if you are a larger group (or just looking to spread out), go for the 2-bedroom suite - our unit had 2 bedrooms with spacious closets and dresser space (a queen bed in each, as well as a desk and walk-in closet in the "master"), 2 bathrooms, living room with queen pull-out sofabed and a chair, flatscreen TVs in both bedrooms as well as the living room, kitchen, table with four chairs, balcony, and washroom with washer & dryer as well as additional space, which was ideal for storing our skis during the nights and letting them dry out. Coming from NYC and Boston, my brother and I could only dream of an apartment with such great accommodations at such a reasonable price.

Pros:
- Free breakfast (both hot buffet and standard continental breakfast fare) that was excellent for a hotel
- Free parking
- Free wireless
- Washer & dryer in-room (certain units)
- Brand new furnishings (in Building 2)
- Spotlessly clean
- Very spacious accommodations
- 30-45 minutes from all major Wasatch ski areas (Alta, Snowbird, Canyons, Park City Mountain, Deer Valley, Solitude, and Brighton) with Snow Basin and Powder Mountain only being a marginal distance further if you're headed north
- Several solid restaurants and bars in the immediate vicinity, easily walkable
- mere blocks from Interstates 15 & 80
- friendly front desk (particularly Ken), always staffed and eager to help; they even emailed us in advance to advise us of the Building 1 construction, which is why we requested Building 2

Cons: none really, unless you are in Building 1 and there is construction or if you mind walking across the parking lot for breakfast, business center, or pool & hot tub (which are all in Building 1)

Room Tip: Rooms are split between two buildings. If you are traveling in 2014, be aware that Building 2 has be...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lundbern
Jared S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hello lundbern -

It really has been a great ski season! It's sad to see it winding down. I'm glad that we were able to be a part of your trip--and hope to be able to serve you again. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

Happy Traveling -
Jared

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2014

oh this hotel was fabulous! great staff, great amenities! loved everything about it!!!!! I found it very easy to sleep and an awesome place for couples ;) wanted to keep my review brief. stay here! :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Lillian R -

Thank you for your kind words. As a manager, there are few things I enjoy as much as sharing "fabulous" guest feedback with my staff. Please come see us again!

Best Regards -
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Travelling is much more enjoyable when one is not confined to small spaces, like airplanes. Our 1br unit was spacious and made our stay in SLC more enjoyable. The room had nothing lacking and the location is great, with free parking. Walking to nearby restaurants is easy and there's quite a few to chose from. Construction which we were unaware of prior to our stay Jan 17, made the lobby area less than desirable.Typical free breakfast, but convenient. Staff are very friendly and rooms are very clean.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Salem, Utah
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed one night at this Hotel. We received a helpful email prior to our stay advising us about the current construction. The one bedroom studio queen suite was perfect for us. Everything was clean, neat and worked. It did take us a few minutes to find the right place to click on to connect to the internet. The breakfast was good and filling. I have no complaints and would stay there again. The front desk said we could leave our car there for the day if we wanted. That was nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jared S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Hi Deborah G -

Thank you for the positive and encouraging words. We are pleased with the renovation results so far, and are committed to providing excellent experiences for guests while work continues. Come see us again soon!

Best Regards -
Golden Valley, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We had a very pleasant stay. The renovations didn't really affect us. We had a one bedroom suite, which was nice because my husband likes to get up early and start working on things, and he could go in the other room and close the door. The included breakfasts and bbq dinner on Thursday were very helpful to our food budget! And very nice as well. PF Chang and Macaroni Grill are nearby. The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and the internet worked great for us - and included in the rate! We arrived on New Year's Day, so the lobby was still festively decorated, which was fun.

Room Tip: I think I would get a room in the main building, which is what we had.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Barbara V -

I am thrilled that our hotel met, and hopefully exceeded, your needs. Thank you for sharing. I also enjoy our holiday decor, and miss it when it comes down.

Please some and see us when you're in Salt Lake City again!

All the Best -
Utah
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had an excellent experience the whole way round! The girl that checked me in was informative, helpful, and friendly :) I've stayed at this hotel over the last 8yrs and again had the chance to again enjoy my room in the second building. Though there are renovations going on, it impacted my stay minimally. I had a remodeled/renovated room so everything was fresh and new. The bed was better than the one at home, the room was quiet, the TVs were large and the desk in my bedroom was put to good use. I had no problems whatsoever. Staff was excellent as per usual. Breakfast delicious and with many choices. I can't wait until all the work has been completed on their hotel! I will come back again and again...as long as they have me ;)

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Kiwi1928
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Reasonably good place to stay. The included Breakfast was much better than I expected!! The room was clean - I was traveling with a teenager, so I booked a 2 room suite for $229 and it was well worth it. Nice to have the space. It is about a mile walk to the Temple Square or City Creek Mall which is really nice and worth a visit. Good local restaurants - PF Chang is up the block. Toasters - lunch place - is a couple blocks away. Benihana is a half mile, Blue Iguana (mexican) is a half mile away. We walked everywhere, but you can get a taxi.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family