“Spotless, comfortable and convenient”

Little America Hotel
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I love another reviewer's comment about the nostalgic decor! The decor is very dated, but now almost retro. The hotel is absolutely spotless. I stayed in a king tower room and it was huge. The amenities are good and the wifi is free. The exercise room was spacious with lots of equipment. Service was very friendly. Lots of parking but if you need to valet it's only $7. The location is very convenient to downtown.

Room Tip: There are two types of room -- those in the tower and those in more motel style buildings.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Little America Hotel

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We found our room very nice and convient to being close to the main hotel for an easy walk. Enjoyed appetizers in sports bar and Sunday brunch. Convenient location to exploring downtown and Temple Square. The staff were very helpful. Parking was very easy right in fron of our room. Took some doing to find where the ice machine was..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I only stayed here for one night but I was instantly smitten by the charming decor. I stayed in one of the rooms outwith the main hotel. It was very well equipped and I slept soundly.
All the staff I had dealings with were incredibly friendly.
I went for the breakfast buffet in the morning in the main hotel. It was really good and reasonably priced. The waiting staff were very attentive and the ambience of the dining room was like a byegone era. It was a great way to start my day.
Oh yes - I had booked my room (complete with two double beds and a bath) on the hotel's website and it only came to 66.00GBP! Bargain of the century!
I would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This hotel is located in Downtown Salt Lake City. It was clean and comfortable. However, I felt that I had walked into my grandmothers home; don't get me wrong that is not a bad thing. It has been a long time since I had seen decor of a previous era! Individuals need to be aware that there are "hotel-style" and "motel-style" rooms. The "courtside" rooms are motel style. The "garden style" room (which I had) were a modified "motel-style" where your room was accessed from the inside. Room was clean, beds moderately comfortable, great shower and free Wi-Fi.

My family was placed in a "garden room" which faced 6th south. I was in the room 30 seconds before I knew the noise coming from that room was unacceptable. The desk accommodated my request to move. Do not get a room that faces the road way. The rooms are not that soundproof to road noise. My room faced "the garden", and was very quite.

I have seen there are various complaints about the price. I would not have paid the internet rate of $149; but there are deals to be had There are better places to stay in the area for that price. I paid $80 on Priceline.

What did not make me happy was the front desk would not change me into a room with a king bed. They stated that they could not make this change, which is BS. It was prepaid, and they had King rooms available and the rates were the same. The rooms had full size beds.

Room Tip: Make sure your room faces the interior of the complex. Do not face toward the roads.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This hotel may be the best value in Salt Lake City. With my convention rate, it was at least $25 per night less than any other hotel in the downtown area, though the regular rates can be on the high side. My review is on the "Tower" rooms - rooms in the big building that has approximately 15 floors. I've read that the "Garden" rooms (motel-style) can offer a different experience and I have not stayed in those rooms.

The Tower offers huge rooms, a large bathroom, and a separate dressing area with a large closet and a second sink - always convenient. It feels more like a studio apartment than a hotel room.

If you don't like "old" - stop reading and don't stay here. This place is old - the couches and dresser in the room are old - but it has been very well maintained and if you are ok with that, this is a great place.

Best features: The beds are relatively new and very comfortable. The rooms are perfectly clean. It's quiet, although the trolleys on the street below can be heard from some of the rooms. No noise from neighboring rooms though. Sliding doors open - the balconies are quite small and not designed for hanging out on, but if fresh air is important to you, that's a big plus. Air conditioning worked great (temps were in the high 90s during out stay). Free wifi worked great - we were on it for at least 10-12 hours over the 4 days we were there and it never quit. There's a desk and also a table so it's great for two people who want separate work spaces.

Another great feature is convenience - if you are attending a meeting/event at the convention center or the arena, you can jump on the Trax (trolley) for free and get to the center of downtown in less than 10 minutes.

There's a good flat screen TV on the wall with lots of cable channels. No fridge. We did not have time to use either of the two pools but they looked quite nice.

We tried the restaurant for dinner one night and I don't really want to judge the restaurant based on one visit, but I'll just say that I was less impressed than I was with the hotel itself. There are lots of restaurant choices in the downtown area which you can get to on the Trax.

And I almost forgot the best part -- we arrived at 9:30 a.m. and we given a room with a smile, no problem at all. That really meant a lot to us as we had gotten up at 3 a.m. to catch our flight, and we were able to rest before attending our event later in the day.

I do plan on staying here again!

Room Tip: South-facing rooms don't get trolley noise as much as north facing rooms. Also, higher floors wi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I can't figure out if this hotel is targeting seniors with money who wax nostalgic about motor lodges and will pay exorbitant amounts to stay here or if the revenue executives are living in the dark ages because they have a lot of competition in Salt Lake. Regardless, they have quite a racket going on here. This is three star hotel max (see iceberg lettuce covered in water served in coffee shop).

Whatever amount you pay, you'll be paying more and getting less (compared to other hotels in SLC that are new or have done major upgrades, which LA has not). For those who have shopped around, this no value.

Here's the deal: the non-tower rooms are 2.5 to 3 stars max. Not loving the ancient, broken thermostat and huge stain on the carpet. The tower may be 4 stars but I passed on the ridiculous $100 upgrade fee, which would have made my stay here the equivalent of a NYC hotel. I guess it's just pure greed seeping through the brown brick. The "company" is pricing themselves out of the market and not offering the room product to justify it.

First time here and WHY would I stay here again when the Monaco and Marriott and even Hilton Garden are both cheaper, better quality options?

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank herculepoirot
MrEdBox, Employee at Little America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the information about your stay. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It is our regret that you did not contact us during your stay to express these opinions. It is important to us that our guests enjoy their stay with us. We pride ourselves on the service and quality of product that we offer, and hope that our guests appreciate the value of our prices.I assure you that we are constantly searching to find ways to improve our property (including our guestrooms) so that our guests enjoy their experience with us. There are third party reservation sites available for our guests to book rooms through. In this case, we do not have the rate information that they charge because these rates are pre-paid through the third party. We recommend that our guests check with us directly to get information on our rates and room types that we are offering during the dates they will be staying.

If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel, Salt Lake
edbox@littleamerica.com

Reviewed 18 August 2012

. . .this is what the Salt Lake property would look like. The Little America in Utah's capital is a great value, and a phenomenal place to stay.

The Ritz comparison is dead on, as the designer--Frank Nicholson--of many of the old-line Ritz-Carlton hotels designed the public spaces of the Little America (and the lavish Grand America across the street). You may pay motel prices--our room was $109 a night--but the overall experience is Four Star all the way, from elegant marble and chandeliered lobby spaces to huge rooms that other hotels would likely call junior suites. (Be sure to request a room in the Gardens or Tower wings; the Courtyard or Courtside rooms are pleasant but rather motelish, as some other reviews noted).

A few things to note:

1) The hotel needs better vacuuming. A small thing, but we saw any number of carpets that needed vacuuming. A detail in a hotel that usually is on top of such things.

2) Some of the garden rooms overlook the street, others overlook the inner court. The inner court rooms are quieter.

3) Parking is complimentary. Well done.

4) The family who owns this hotel also owns the spectacular Grand America hotel across the street. In my opinion, the Little America is 90% of the Grand at 50% of the price. That said, be sure to visit, and in particular, have breakfast at the Grand's Garden Cafe, where the tremendous buffet is $15 a person, and worth much more. The cafe's outdoor garden is a lovely place to sit in nice weather, as well.

5) Hotel is on the edge of downtown (even so, Temple Square and City Creek shopping isn't much more than ten blocks away) but the light rail stop is right across from the hotel, and within the downtown area, train rides are free.

Room Tip: While the tower rooms are the largest, the Gardens rooms are huge and much less expensive. These Ga...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family