“Tower rooms are lovely, garden rooms are a bargain”

Little America Hotel
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The Little America is a nice, clean place to stay for a night or a week. They have a nice cafe - great rolls. I've stayed in several different room types here. The tower rooms are the most updated and nice. They are slightly less spacious but still offer a small sitting area along with an ample-sized bathroom and nice, quality furnishings. The garden rooms are larger, we had a lot of space which was appreciated with our 2 year old. However, the 2nd floor rooms do not have elevator access so you have to drag your luggage upstairs. Bummer. The bathrooms have 50s style tile, yes, but they are in great shape and clean and spacious. They have tried to keep the same furnishings and nice draperies, etc. in the garden rooms. There is a business center and indoor/outdoor pool, as well as a small outdoor pool open seasonally. Across the street is the Grand America where you are able to use their amenities as well. Close to the new City Creek Center and business area of SLC with a short 10 minute drive to the airport, this place is a go-to for the quality relative to price. A meal at their cafe tops it off well!

Room Tip: For larger rooms try the gardens, but aim for the first floor as there are not elevators for the sec...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,913)

Reviewed 31 August 2012

I just returned from a multi-day conference at this hotel. The location was good, just south of downtown. My room was in the tower, and it was very spacious with a sitting area, a large balcony, and two-room bath/dressing area. I enjoyed the turn-down service every evening, and the fact that housekeeping always left plenty of fresh towels and didn't expect me to re-use them from day to day. I ate lunch in the hotel cafe twice, both times ordering the grilled salmon caesar salad because it was so good! I travel a lot, typically staying in 4- and 5-star hotels. I would rate this hotel 4 stars, because the room price was comparatively low, and I was happier with my accomodations than I often am in the pricier, more luxurious hotels. All in all, a very good experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the tower!
Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The rooms at The Little America are very large. They are clean & nice. The food in their restaurant is great - large portions & reasonable. Very convenient location - the city's light rail service is great & free!

Room Tip: Tower rooms are the best
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I booked this hotel on priceline for a last minute weekend getaway with my husband. On priceline this hotel is billed as a 3 1/2 star hotel. Well, after reading some reviews on this site I can see that if we'd stayed in the tower than we might well agree that this is a 3 1/2 star property. However, we were given a garden room in one of the outlying building surrounding the hotel. I'd give the room that we stayed in 2 1/2 to a generous 3 stars. The room was spacious enough, but they are extremely outdated. Although they are clean they smell old and the fan in our bathroom didn't work (which we didn't discover until the next morning). I also found it a little disgusting that there was a fridge in the bathroom. Our former home, built in the late 1950's, had the same pink tile that our hotel room had. If we could manage to update our former home's bathroom surely the Little America could afford to do the same.
PROS:
Spacious Rooms
Lovely lobby, restaurants, and shops
Two beautiful swimming pools
Free parking
Easy access to TRAX for easy downtown access
CONS:
Garden rooms are in need of updating and a little TLC
Carpets throughout the hotel are looking a little tired
This hotel is some distance from the heart of downtown. You'll need to drive, take TRAX or plan on a long walk to get to Temple Square, City Creek, Salt Palace, etc.

I'd always heard good things about this hotel, so I'm glad we tried it out, but I don't think we'll be in a hurry to come back. From previous experience I know that if I'd tried for a 4 star hotel on priceline I could have stayed at the Hilton for just $10 more a night. It would have been worth it.

Room Tip: If you want a nicer room and want to be close to the action choose a Tower Room. If you don't m...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wishesUT
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

I got this hotel on Hotwire as a 4 star. The hotel wasn't bad but I would consider it more of a 3 star. The room was large and clean but dated decor. And the mini fridge was located in the bathroom which is just weird. We didn't get to stay in the tower, so it was a pain to carry luggage upstairs since there was no elevator. The front desk guy seemed snobby. It's a decent place to stay, just don't expect 4 star accommodations. The radisson was much nicer!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Very large room, very comfortable, with beautiful pieces of furniture (some of them quite old - even better). The bathroom may not be up to the latest standards but is comfortable nonetheless. Parking, and wifi is included for free. Lots of amenities, excellent service.. and relatively low prices. This is a great value.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I love another reviewer's comment about the nostalgic decor! The decor is very dated, but now almost retro. The hotel is absolutely spotless. I stayed in a king tower room and it was huge. The amenities are good and the wifi is free. The exercise room was spacious with lots of equipment. Service was very friendly. Lots of parking but if you need to valet it's only $7. The location is very convenient to downtown.

Room Tip: There are two types of room -- those in the tower and those in more motel style buildings.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business