“Tower Experience Comfortable”

Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Lake Elsinore, California
“Tower Experience Comfortable”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed in the Towers while in Salt Lake for a wedding. There were 3 of us and our room was large, comfortable and clean, but warm. My sister had an identical room and she had the same issue with the a/c, however, my daughter who was right across from us had a similar room, and her room was nice and cool. The grounds are immaculate and the hotel is impressive from the exterior. Interior is "old world style" and dated, but well maintained and very comfortable. Check out the indoor/outdoor pool and spa on the 2nd floor. It's very relaxing and fun at the same time. When I originally booked, I specifically asked if if there was a lounge and was told yes, but when we got there, the lounge and steak house was under renovation. There was a center lounge that served wine and beer, no hard alcohol. The café food is very good and you can dine on the patio, weather permitting. Needed a manicure and pedicure and walked across the street to the sister hotel across the street.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side in the Tower have some nice views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were here for business. We had to ask 4 times for a mini fridge in our room, that was supposed to be there upon check in. My card was double charged for "incidentals" which she failed to mention at time of check in. It was resolved, but it took 1 week for the hold to be taken off the money on my debit card, I was not happy about that. Would stay more near city center next time, it's must prettier and more convenient to everything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank OntheGotoEverywhere
GAHotelsandResorts, General Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay. I apologize for the poor service you received when requesting a refrigerator in your room. I’m sorry to hear that there was a problem with your bill. I’m glad to hear that matter was resolved. If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.

Ed Box
edbox@littleamerica.com
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Recently stayed at Little America while in Salt Lake City for a teacher conference. When I was asked six months ago whether I wanted a tower or garden room, I picked the garden room, without knowing what the difference was. My room was was very well cleaned each day, and the grounds were immaculate. I was happy to see that the room had a wall safe and it was nice that it had a sitting area (that I didn't use), but the room's decor was dated and the bed was horrible- so lumpy that I tried to sleep sideways or at an angle, and still could not sleep well. The bathroom was huge, which would be great if I were traveling with a family, especially as there is a second sink with large mirror outside the bathroom. It would be easy for two or more people to get ready without being in each others' way. But like I said, I was traveling alone. Also this room was on the far end of the unattached building, far away from the front desk which was on the first floor of the tower. My room was on the second and top floor of the annex at the farthest end from the lobby, just up the stairs from an outside door that does not lock- which made me a tad nervous as it was not the safest location for a woman traveling alone. If you are going to stay at Little America, and you are a woman traveling alone, I suggest you insist on a room in the tower: I will do the same next time.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower, unless you are a family, and even then check the bed before you commit to that ro...
1 Thank Janet P
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed in the room that was the least expensive and was put on the very edge of the hotel right next to a very busy road without an adequate sound barrier for the property or within the room itself. I was awake all night with traffic driving by.

The room itself felt like I was staying at a grandmother's house, with antique looking floral furniture. Unfortunately, the amenities within the room were almost nonexistent. There was no working vent for the bathroom, which was TINY. The bathroom was outdated and while clean, there was no space to move around the wet air stuck around without a vent.
The tv in the room was also small. The comfort of the bed was okay, but with the noise there was no hope of me sleeping. I guess if you pay extra, they'll put you in a room by a fountain to drown out the noise or inside the hotel itself where there's adequate sound proofing.

A few positives: 1) The pool and hot tub were very enjoyable in the morning. Well kept, clean and relaxing with great views. I didn't even know there was a hot tub from the website which is usually very important to me before booking a hotel. 2) I ordered room service which took 30 minutes (not ideal) but the food itself, amazing! I got the french toast with strawberries and whip cream, delicious!

I would not return here unless I paid for a better room and if I were paying for a better room, I would likely just stay the Grand America.

Room Tip: You pay for what you get. If you get the least expensive room, be prepared to sleep by a noisy road.
1 Thank Michelle907
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay. I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that noise from the street inconvenienced you. It is our regret that you did not contact us during your stay to request to move rooms. I assure you that if another room was available we would have given you the option to move rooms.

If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly. I hope to have you stay with us again.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel, Salt Lake
edbox@littleamerica.com
Minneapolis,MN
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our first (garden) room was on the ground floor, facing the street, not very nice. They switched us to a second floor (garden) room which faced a fountain and had a balcony, much more pleasant. I would put the tower rooms at 4 stars, garden rooms at 3.5 stars, and courtyard rooms at 2.5 to 3 stars (the courtyard buildings look like a motel set up, with exterior access), so your experience will vary with the room you get. All of the rooms are clean and tidy though. The hotel is right on the light rail that can take you into downtown, so getting around is easy. The staff were friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Tower rooms are best, garden rooms good, courtyard rooms are more like a motel.
Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I just spent 8 nights at the Little America Hotel in Salt Lake City, and, overall, I was impressed. I was working long and tiring days, and this was a relaxing place to return to each day for rest and refreshment. My room (a Deluxe Garden Room) was very clean (including the comfortable carpet, which is important to me, as I absolutely HATE staying in a hotel and finding the carpet filthy--a common occurrence!), and it was also very spacious. The bathroom was also immaculate and huge. Although my view was just of some cars and the tower part of the hotel, the room faced away from the street, and was overall very quiet. I slept very well every night I was in the hotel; I was never woken up by noise, I could not hear my neighbors at all through the walls, and the bed was comfortable, albeit extremely firm. The water pressure in the shower was outstanding as well.

I loved the hotel's indoor/outdoor pool and hot tub. This was a great perk of staying there, especially when I was up early, swimming at 4:30 AM (I know, insane!) and had a lovely view of the full moon! The fitness center is great, too, and I really appreciate that they have single-sex locker rooms, showers, and saunas at the fitness center as well. I had room service my first night, and it was delivered quickly and tasted fine. The service in the hotel is friendly. I had to receive a UPS package while I was there, and that went off without a hitch as well.

The style of the hotel is very quaint grandmother style, with a lot of tile, marble, and matching furniture. It's not my normal taste, but it worked well together, and it was extremely clean. I did love the pink tile all over the bathroom!

My only suggestions are very minor, and do not detract from my rating at all. I wish there was a clothes line in the shower. I swam most days, but with neither a clothesline nor a safety bar in my bathroom, hanging my suit out to dry was complicated. (I basically had to hang it awkwardly on the shower head.) Also, the landline phone was only located on the desk, which did not reach to the bed. In this era of cell phones, that is normally not an issue for me. However, I was without my cell for 2 days (thus the package!) and it was a total pain to talk on the phone at the desk. I ended up Skyping from my laptop on the bed, but having the phone in another part of the room made a wake up call basically useless, unless one wants to walk out of bed and over to the desk. Fortunately, there was an alarm clock that worked.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is right next to the Courthouse light rail stop, is very clean, and has a great indoor/outdoor pool (there is also a garden pool, but I never used it.) I would definitely stay here again, if I was visiting SLC.

Room Tip: I had a Deluxe Garden Room. It was quiet (faced inward, not toward the street.) However, I would pre...
Artesia, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here as part of a tour group so had no choice in this location. I had checked reviews prior and was somewhat apprehensive but my fears were totally unfounded. I found the rooms extremely comfortable. I had a garden room. The room was one of the largest hotel rooms I've every stayed in, the extra seating was appreciated (we had seating for at least 6 people with none of them sitting on the bed) very unusual for most hotels which have a desk chair and maybe one other at best. My toilet was not functioning properly upon check-in which I immediately reported. It was fixed within 30 minutes and a follow-up call made to ensure I was pleased by the hotel operator. Some have described the decor as dated and certainly this hotel was built some time ago but I would describe the decor as classic Americana. The wait staff in the cafe were attentive and the food was good. The hotel is right next to the TRAX public transportation which was very helpful since we did not have our own vehicle. We took the public transit directly from the airport and around town. If I make another trip to the city I would definitely stay here again. My only complaint was that the hot tub was lukewarm at best. All of the other guests that were using it said the same thing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple