“Bed was nice, room looked and smelled like a motel 6. This place is getting dated.”

Little America Hotel
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Perhaps I was unlucky to get this particular room, but I definitely didn't feel like it was worth $135 per night. Beware of rooms that are along 500 South, especially on weekends when hooligans hot-rod their engines up and down the street.

The room had a musty, stale smell. The dated refrigerator was right across from the toilet. The carpet in the hallway appeared to have been recently flooded. In the room, there was damage to the carpet, furniture, and screen door. I discovered the damage to the screen door when I was trying to air the musty smell out of the room. We came here because we had heard this was a nicer place to stay (the lobby certainly looks fancy). All of the problems in combination made me feel like I was staying in a scuzzy Motel 6. I was kind of nervous that I might be blamed for the room damage.

The only thing that made this room tolerable was the clean, comfy bed and the hot shower. We would have tried to change rooms, but my wife was on bed-rest.

When I was checking out, I complained about the noise and giant fungal toenail clippings (from a prior guest) which were not cleaned up by housekeepers. Nothing was done. I would not stay here again, especially not for $135/night.

Room Tip: avoid 500 S side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank muumuu82
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear muumuu82 -

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with your guestroom during your stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not like the décor of your room. We have made several changes to our guestrooms and our property and will continue to do so in the future. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our property as well as the value of our product and our guest feedback is very important to us. Please know that I have shared your comments with our staff.
Thank you again for making us aware of the details of your stay. If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel
edbox@littleamerica.com

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Only a few blacks from the centre but a tram takes you there for free.

Restaurant was closed due to remodelling but the cafe was the place to be seen. The decor uniforms and ambiance were fantastic. Food was good value and good.

Our room was humungous with view towards town. The pool was great. It even rained whilst we were in SLC and we discovered locals don't carry wet weather gear. Really funny seeing executives in wet shirts!

This hotel is a great place to stay if exploring SLC or the region.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Given its price range, the Little America was surprisingly luxurious. The public spaces were very nicely appointed. The staff and doormen were extremely attentive. The comfortable lounge had a bar, and there was a full restaurant, with pleasant outdoor seating. They have 2 pools-- the outside pool has bathrooms and changing areas. The indoor/outdoor pool on the second floor has large bathrooms and changing rooms. A well-equipped exercise room and a hot tub are also in this area. The pool has both an inside and outside section connected with a channel under a glass divider, so it can be used all year long. There are spacious lounging areas around both inside and outside portions, with much of the outside lounging area shaded by trees.
The room itself was immaculately clean and well laid out. Night tables stood on both sides of the bed. The huge HD television sat on a chest with more than adequate drawer space for our clothes. The closets were in a separated dressing area that was full of floor to ceiling mirrors (the mirrored sliding closet doors were a thoughtful, and expensive, plus). A separate desk and table and chairs completed the furnishings. Wifi was free in the room.
The location is excellent. The hotel is just across the street from a Trax station. The one-stop ride to University Avenue and the Library station was free and brought us to lots of restaurant choices. The Trax also provided us with a direct, 20-minute access to the airport.
We especially appreciated the landscaping. The choice of plantings was beautiful and intelligent. The layout of the grounds was especially thoughtful, with the motel-like units and parking broken up and screened so as to preserve a sense of intimacy. The sound of water fountains filled the air. We considered Little America as a great value.

Room Tip: The "garden" units have free parking just outside your door. There are also rooms in the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Robert2835 -

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Little America with us. Feedback is such an important part of our effort to keep improving our hospitality experience. Thank you again for your kind remarks and for recommending us so highly.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We went for an event and were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful, clean and elegant our accommodations were. I highly recommend staying here! It was centrally located near everything you could possibly need and a short easy drive to the airport. Parking was easy and accessible close to our rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Chelsey -

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words and we are glad to hear that we have earned your loyalty as a lodging choice in Salt Lake City. Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were gifted a night's stay at the Little America Hotel. We were finally able to take time to go there. Oh. My. Word. What a lovely hotel! We stayed in one of the tower rooms that overlooked 2 swimming pools and the water fountains. The furnishings were absolutely stunning! The white marble bathroom was just gorgeous. The lotion, shampoo, and conditioner were some of the loveliest I've ever used. The room we chose was 600 square feet. We actually felt like we were staying in someone's home! Room service breakfast delicious and hot. The shops are all fun to browse through. The Coffee Shop restaurant has the best food you'll find anywhere! Will we go back? We are already planning on it!

Room Tip: For a lovely view of the city, choose a tower room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I wanted to give this hotel a 1 star review just to keep everyone else away from the best kept secret in Salt Lake City. I grew up in this hotel with many trips here from northern Utah for Easter Brunch, Mother's day brunch and just for weekends away... I would have to say it's one of my favorite childhood memories. Now, we do the same for our children and even though we only live 20 miles north of this great Hotel, we regularly "staycation" here. The pools are great, the rooms spacious and clean and walking distance to so many fun things to do. Now my kids will tell you it has become part of their childhood also. Can't say enough good things and really just want to keep this hidden jem to ourselves!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed after a long work week all I wanted was to sit on a barstool and order a couple appetizers while having the bartender to chat with. No place in this hotel or the other property across the street. Oh well, I guess room service will have to do.. was told NO appetizers avail on room service but shrimp cocktail. Menu shows crab cakes and spinach salad. Only side salad available. Are you kidding me? Won't stay here again and don't recommend. You should make whatever the guest requests!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear slgiberson-

I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your stay with us. Our Lobby Lounge is conveniently located in the main lobby and has many seating options as well as a few different menus available. Also, the Grand America, located across the street has several options of this kind as well. I apologize that you were not made aware of this and that you did not have a good experience when ordering room service. Please know that I have shared your comments with our staff as it is important for them to know the feedback we get from our guests. If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.
Thank you again for sharing the details of your experience.

Ed Box