“Great Rate .. So So Location !”

Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 January 2009

I booked this hotel due to 2 reasons:
1) Location ( downtown, yet only 6 miles from airport)
2) Rate ( I paid about 89.00 a night )
I was happy with both and it seemed to be a good value.

The Good Things:
Rate was acceptional compared to other Hilton Family of Hotels in the area. Nice view of the Mountains.
Breakfast was acceptional for a Hampton. Being a Hilton Diamond Member I stay in 35+ hamptons a year, and most have the same ol' breakfast. This one had standard breakfast fare, but also fresh waffle batter with waffle irons, and fresh toppings. Nice touch!
Gym was pretty good for a hotel gym, and all the equipment worked. Indoor pool looked nice, although I did not use.
Room was average standard Hampton decor. Comfy beds!

The Bad Things:
Check in was 3:00. I showed up at 3:00 and was told my room was not ready. She called the housekeeper and I heard the housekeeper say it would be ready in 20 minutes. So she told me to sit in the b'fast area and she would come get me when the room was ready. About 45 minutes later I walked up and she said " oh yeah... your room is ready now" Gee, thanks.
The area around the hotel is not the best. It was fine during the day. But at night, it appeared there were many people, probably homeless, mulling about.
There was a security guard at night, but every time I went downstairs, he was sitting in the lobby watching tv. He is there to secure the outside I assume, so he should spend the bulk of his time outside. I had a very early flight and had to leave at 4:30 in the morning. While geting in my car a stranger approached me from out of nowhere asking for money. Said he was "stranded and needed money to get his car fixed.." Startled me and I told him no. He walked away behind a fence.... I am sure to hit up the next person he saw in the parking lot. Things like this to me are unacceptable. If you know the area is suspect and people are begging in the lot, then get your guard in the lot to protect your patrons. I can only imagine a single woman being approached, and it scaring her to death.

Other than that. I enjoyed the stay. I would most likely stay here again if the rate was the same and the fact I am not as concerned about being approached, but I don't know if I would recommend for a woman traveling alone unless she is in and out during the daylight hours.

I have also stayed at the Hilton near the airport in SLC, and it was a much nicer, secure stay.. just the rate this trip didnt warrant booking it again, although I might reconsider next trip.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Patrick C
slc425, General Manager at Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2009

Thank you for staying in our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that you had a few problems here. Thank you for letting us know about the problems that you had so that they do not happen to anyone else. I have addressed the problems with our front desk and security staff. It is our goal to provide excellent service to all of our guests. Thank you, Joe Bessette, General Manager

Reviewed 12 January 2009

Can't say enough good things about this Hampton. It is located downtowntown SLC right in the middle of a ton af attractions and very central to many restraunts, bars and shopping. The Hampton staff were very polite, the room was clean and large. Nice desk area for working. Water pressure was fine and the fixtures were all up to date.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2008

OK, I was in SLC for less than 24 hours so here it is for what it's worth.

I arrived to the hotel via taxi and I was quite pleased with two of the three companies that drove me around. Check-in was textbook and my room had all I would need for the short time I was there.

It's a perfect location if you're the type that likes to walk a great deal. Within four blocks are the Temple Square, Energy Solutions Arena, Caputo's Deli, and many more good restaurants. For such a short stay, I was content.

The only drawback I found was that the street noise was unusually loud. There was no way I could hear my neighbors, but the engine noise from outside was ridiculous.

The absolute best part of this was the effort the front desk made to secure me a taxi back to the airport. Very nice people work there.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank gottamove34
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We were more than satisfied with our stay at this hotel. You'll find a well appointed Hampton Inn, large rooms, clean, comfortable beds and pillows, and fluffy towels. Nice room arrangement that handled our three large pieces of luggage. The pool was wonderful - large, square, and with columns so you feel like your in a spa. Temperature in the hot tub and pool were fine. Breakfast was plentiful and we enjoyed a morning visit from Mac, a delightful gentleman who greeted us, chatted, answered questions and left sugar free mints. You'll find yourself about two to three blocks from several great restraunts and brew pubs - we had no problems walking over to them - the problem was choosing which one! We also went to Trolley Square for dinner at Rodizio Grill, a Brazillian Steakhouse - you'll pay a little more but its wonderful. Trolley Square though looked a bit empty - it's a very nice location so I hope it makes it.

If you haven't been to Salt Lake City before, be sure to ask the desk for a easy map of the city. This Hampton Inn offered two - one had the locations of all the restraunts on it, the other had some added detail. The staff member explained the reasoning and how the city was laid out. I'm pretty good with maps, but had a tough time with 300W vs 300 S and 300 N or 300 E. All the streets seemed to be named the same. My advise - once you locate something, use it as a reference to the next place your going. Being near Pioneer Square did help us find our hotel.

You'll be about 5 or six blocks from Temple Square. We arrived on a Sunday, so all the parking was free on the streets. Definitely take a tour, and don't worry - you won't feel pushed to adopt a new religion. The next day we decided to see This Is The Place Heritage Park - an easy drive from the hotel. We were able to park near Temple Square later in the afternoon to finish touring that area. You can walk from the hotel to Temple Square if you wish, though it may be a bit far for some people. These are city size blocks.

People seem to comment on the neighborhood so we feel we need to set this straight. We felt quite safe here (and that's saying something as my husband is a police officer). The park across the street is not close - its 8 lanes of roadway between you and the park that is catty-corner to the hotel. We have been to the large cities - and there is no comparison. Yes, this is a city like any other, so you will see someone panhandling - but this is not New York or Seattle -- or an area where you see them on every corner. We saw one. The hotel is in a area where businesses close at 5:00 so it may seem a little isolated - though there are other hotels nearby.

Two brewpubs are quite close and the one we liked better was Squatters - eat outside in their patio. They have a cool mist spraying on the side of the patio and it feels wonderful. Excellent beer - you'll enjoy the taste and presentation of their samplers. Food was great.

Overall we really enjoyed our experience visiting the area and would stay at this Hampton Inn again. It was an excellent value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank newjerseyfamily
Reviewed 15 June 2007

The hotel was clean,comfortable and the staff were friendly. During our stay, the power went out twice and the elevator locked up (fortunately it was open at the time). The hotel is on the edge of downtown and as several reviews stated before, there are derelicts, addicts, hookers and drug dealers in the park across the street. It is not a good idea to walk from the hotel to the Temple Square area or the local restaurants alone after dark.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
9  Thank UTornsfan
Reviewed 22 May 2007

A fine Hampton Inn. We were there the night of May 10, 2007. It was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, the bed was comfortable and the bath was first rate. I found nothing negative about this hotel and much to like. As a plus it's within walking distance of the LDS Temple Square and a number of good restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank oldcpa
Reviewed 15 January 2007

After a long day on the train coming from Denver we got to the hotel very late at night. Night desk clerk was very accommodating. Rooms are very nice and comfortable. Nothing fancy but your typical good Hampton Inn.

Amenities included nice indoor pool and fitness center and continental breakfast. Desk clerk staff was very nice offering us a brown bag breakfast on our last day there as we had an early flight out.

Only disappointment was the location. I thought it would have been closer to some of the downtown sites. Only about 5-6 blocks but very long ones and probably over a mile or more to the main tourist area. Actually wound up renting a car to get around.

Area around hotel seemed a little shady and not totally comfortable after dark.

If looking for a comfortable hotel with nice amenities inside this is a good place to stay. But if interested in doing some things in the area without renting a car, find something a little closer to downtown.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family