I booked this hotel due to 2 reasons:
1) Location ( downtown, yet only 6 miles from airport)
2) Rate ( I paid about 89.00 a night )
I was happy with both and it seemed to be a good value.
The Good Things:
Rate was acceptional compared to other Hilton Family of Hotels in the area. Nice view of the Mountains.
Breakfast was acceptional for a Hampton. Being a Hilton Diamond Member I stay in 35+ hamptons a year, and most have the same ol' breakfast. This one had standard breakfast fare, but also fresh waffle batter with waffle irons, and fresh toppings. Nice touch!
Gym was pretty good for a hotel gym, and all the equipment worked. Indoor pool looked nice, although I did not use.
Room was average standard Hampton decor. Comfy beds!
The Bad Things:
Check in was 3:00. I showed up at 3:00 and was told my room was not ready. She called the housekeeper and I heard the housekeeper say it would be ready in 20 minutes. So she told me to sit in the b'fast area and she would come get me when the room was ready. About 45 minutes later I walked up and she said " oh yeah... your room is ready now" Gee, thanks.
The area around the hotel is not the best. It was fine during the day. But at night, it appeared there were many people, probably homeless, mulling about.
There was a security guard at night, but every time I went downstairs, he was sitting in the lobby watching tv. He is there to secure the outside I assume, so he should spend the bulk of his time outside. I had a very early flight and had to leave at 4:30 in the morning. While geting in my car a stranger approached me from out of nowhere asking for money. Said he was "stranded and needed money to get his car fixed.." Startled me and I told him no. He walked away behind a fence.... I am sure to hit up the next person he saw in the parking lot. Things like this to me are unacceptable. If you know the area is suspect and people are begging in the lot, then get your guard in the lot to protect your patrons. I can only imagine a single woman being approached, and it scaring her to death.
Other than that. I enjoyed the stay. I would most likely stay here again if the rate was the same and the fact I am not as concerned about being approached, but I don't know if I would recommend for a woman traveling alone unless she is in and out during the daylight hours.
I have also stayed at the Hilton near the airport in SLC, and it was a much nicer, secure stay.. just the rate this trip didnt warrant booking it again, although I might reconsider next trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown is located just blocks from Temple Square, the Salt Palace Convention Center, City Creek Center shopping mall and Vivint Arena. We are within walking distance of shopping, restaurants and theaters, and only a short drive to all major Salt Lake City attractions. Our spacious rooms feature king or queen-size beds and many small touches you will appreciate. Once you've arrived at our hotel, you'll find a lot of great amenities waiting for you in your room. We offer free high-speed internet access in every guest room. When you're ready for some rest, hunker down for the night in our comfiest amenity, our Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed.™. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Agoda, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown Hotel Salt Lake City
- Hampton Inn Downtown
- Salt Lake City Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown North America