“very clean,great staff”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 December 2013

close by to most of down town features, very clean rooms and the staff was wonderful! My daughter loved the pet gold fish and my wife and I loved the room service. a couple staff members that really stood out was a young lady at the front desk named Katie. she went above and beyond with any and all of our needs, another would be a young man named Justin, he had a "go get em" attitude and I felt they both really had a lot of pride in there job which you just don't see among todays younger generation. would and will go back for sure.

Room Tip: none are bad!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 December 2013

The hotel delivers what you expect from a Kimpton hotel - something unique that is clean and comfortable. The location is great (near City Creek mall) and there is a good bar / restaurant in the building. I stayed in a Monte Carlo suite, which was large and comfortable, but with no views. There were 2 t.v.s, a king size bed, and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The service was very good as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City last weekend returning from a trip east. As always, it both delighted my senses and simultaneously settled me down- a quiet respite from hectic airports and travel. The "earthiness" comes from the tactile deliciousness of the decor, the exquisite food from hotel restaurant, 'Bambara", the presence of dogs, cats and goldfish, ( but not overly so- cats and dogs are only allowed on certain floors) and even the casual yet attentive attitude of the staff. The romance? Hotel Monaco is decidedly romantic- this is apparent from the moment you enter the lobby, replete with giant Christmas balls hanging from the vaulted ceiling to the carpet patterns to the little details of fresh water imbued with fresh oranges and lemons available at all hours and the time- worn appearing but speedy efficient elevator. There's a sense of mystery and possibility lingering in the corridors, in the artwork, in the depth of color choices and patterns, in the laughter, the mirrors, the stylish decor, the occasional bark down the hallway and in addition to that, the helpful staff offer every amenity you might need. This hotel is clean yet not antiseptic...luxurious but not cloying. The rooms are exotic yet familiar. The location is perfect- 1/2 block from the rail which now is complete to the airport if needed. Be sure to have at least one meal at Bambara or room service from there. The entire staff there (thank you David and Francesca) is so courteous and welcoming. Hope this review helps. I appreciate other candid reviews and I believe this accurately represents Hotel Monaco. PS..I had a momentary problem with my shower which was fixed in a nano moment by hotel engineer Destry who wrote a kind apology.

Room Tip: The upper floors have gorgeous views of SLC and they're super quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Robin,

Wow! What a great review! I'm so thrilled you had such a great experience here and that our staff was so helpful. They really are amazing. You described our hotel and restaurant so beautifully - it really is a very magical place. Hope you'll be back again soon.

Best,

MaryLynn Beck

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Whenever we travel we stay in Kimpton hotels if at all possible. Their pet-friendly policy is what we like best about them.

Hotel Monaco SLC is a great hotel in downtown SLC. We stayed here last December on our way to San Francisco and we stayed this year on our way home. The staff was very friendly, check in and out was a breeze, the bellhop was helpful, and the valet was great. It's in a good location - easy to find and we were able to walk to the nearby Cheesecake Factory for dinner.

The rooms are a little on the small side but still very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and the only thing that could've made them better was to have a coffee maker available.

Room Tip: The high floors offer a good view of the city.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4Meows

Hello,

Thanks so much for sharing your comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We love being pet friendly - they are VIP's in our book! Hope you will visit us again soon.

Best,

MaryLynn Beck

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed at the Monaco for 3 days on my first visit to SLC. I'm so glad I listened to TA reviewers--the location was absolutely perfect for someone exploring the city without a car. You are right in the middle of everything and near a major Transit hub (UTA) giving you ample bus and rail options.

The hotel was definitely in line with Kimpton standards. As soon as I arrived at the hotel I was greeted warmly and I was even able to check-in early. Everything about the room was great--clean, spacious and stylish. The hotel gym was also good. I will definitely come back to the Monaco the next time I visit SLC.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nice hotel in downtown, close to lots of restaurants and event venues .A laid-back but casually elegant 4 star hotel with the trademark Kimpton good service and quirky designed colorful decor. Dogs are welcome as well. Free wine reception at happy hour, dogs and all good cheer. As you might suspect I am a Kimpton fan and use their properties in several US cities.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I love Kimpton's, especially Hotel Monaco's for their historical aspects. I had been to this hotel several years prior and recalled it being my least favorite as far as decoration. I had a grueling work schedule driving back and forth from WY to UT when I made it to the Hotel Monaco for a 3 day continuation of my business trip. I had picked up a horrible cold, sinus infection and when i checked in; I casually mentioned this to the front desk clerk. Not 5 minutes after getting up to my room, I heard a knock on the door. A bellman was standing at the door with a big silver tray, on the tray a carafe of hot water, a selection of various teas, a carafe of warmed honey, fresh lemons, a plate of fresh fruit and a handmad card wishing me a quick recovery! See picture attached. Never in my life can I see any other chain going this length on an unsolicited request. I made it a point to let the manager know what a gem "Marinos" was. This is a chain that actually trains the front desk clerks to not only be polite, (something that is harder to find with the business chains), but to actually take the extra step. Two days later I mentioned I did not find yoga blocks in my yoga to go kit. When I got back from a walk, not only were the blocks at my door, but another silver tray containing a carafe of cold water with fresh lemons and limes. I won't go into the standard amenities, free wine and appetizer hour each evening, raid the mini-bar, etc. If you ever find yourself in SLC, check out this hotel. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a suite so I cannot comment on standard rooms