“Perfect intro to SLC”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay in the Hotel Monaco. From the moment we pulled up with our car the staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurant was open late and the food was delicious. The beds were comfy, though perhaps on the small side. We only stayed for one night but we left well rested.

Room Tip: The beds in the twin Queen room we stayed in were a little small.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fivesideddie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,225)

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a room last minute to celebrate our anniversary. We booked a Queen room that came with a bottle of wine. When we arrived they had bumped us up to a king of room, and we made it just in time for complimentary happy hour. The snacks were yummy too! The amenities were original and nice, and the staff was helpful and friendly. My only complaint was that when we came back to the room late that night, we realized there isn't a television service. Any movie had to be paid for which I found a little weird. We could have just been to intoxicated from all the free booze to figure it out. It wasn't a big drawback though, and we will definitely be back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My family and dog stayed 1 Friday night over Christmas break. The packages online were great, however we booked a government discount. Valet was $19 per night. The Bellman was very helpful and knowledgable and he walked the bags up with us, immediately after check in. The suite was exquisite and had a bedroom separated by archway and curtain. It was plenty of privacy to separate our family of 4. There was a dog bed already there with a couple of treats. The bell man gave our dog a treat as well. There was only 2 glasses and 2 towels for a room booked for 4. It took over 30 minutes start to finish to get our sofa bed made up because the housekeeping was overworked. I almost missed the complimentary happy hour as a result. But hey... There's a complimentary happy hour! After our evening out we requested more towels, and again, it took 30 minutes for towels to arrive. It was the same lady; she appeared to be the only house keeper working that day. Twice we called ahead for our car, giving over 15 minutes notice, yet to have them run out to get our car once we showed up outside. Overall it was a classy experience for the self-sufficient dog family, but for anyone who needed valet or housekeeping it was a bit of a drag. I would definitely stay here again, but they clearly must hire more housekeepers and get the valet call-ahead-system to work better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is probably my favorite hotel in all the world. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels and bed and breakfasts all over America and Europe. Hotel Monaco Salt Lake is my number ONE! I love the decor, the service, and the little extra amenities. The Bambara restaurant on the first floor ties with Log Haven for my favorite restaurant in Salt Lake City.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

close by to most of down town features, very clean rooms and the staff was wonderful! My daughter loved the pet gold fish and my wife and I loved the room service. a couple staff members that really stood out was a young lady at the front desk named Katie. she went above and beyond with any and all of our needs, another would be a young man named Justin, he had a "go get em" attitude and I felt they both really had a lot of pride in there job which you just don't see among todays younger generation. would and will go back for sure.

Room Tip: none are bad!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The hotel delivers what you expect from a Kimpton hotel - something unique that is clean and comfortable. The location is great (near City Creek mall) and there is a good bar / restaurant in the building. I stayed in a Monte Carlo suite, which was large and comfortable, but with no views. There were 2 t.v.s, a king size bed, and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The service was very good as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City last weekend returning from a trip east. As always, it both delighted my senses and simultaneously settled me down- a quiet respite from hectic airports and travel. The "earthiness" comes from the tactile deliciousness of the decor, the exquisite food from hotel restaurant, 'Bambara", the presence of dogs, cats and goldfish, ( but not overly so- cats and dogs are only allowed on certain floors) and even the casual yet attentive attitude of the staff. The romance? Hotel Monaco is decidedly romantic- this is apparent from the moment you enter the lobby, replete with giant Christmas balls hanging from the vaulted ceiling to the carpet patterns to the little details of fresh water imbued with fresh oranges and lemons available at all hours and the time- worn appearing but speedy efficient elevator. There's a sense of mystery and possibility lingering in the corridors, in the artwork, in the depth of color choices and patterns, in the laughter, the mirrors, the stylish decor, the occasional bark down the hallway and in addition to that, the helpful staff offer every amenity you might need. This hotel is clean yet not antiseptic...luxurious but not cloying. The rooms are exotic yet familiar. The location is perfect- 1/2 block from the rail which now is complete to the airport if needed. Be sure to have at least one meal at Bambara or room service from there. The entire staff there (thank you David and Francesca) is so courteous and welcoming. Hope this review helps. I appreciate other candid reviews and I believe this accurately represents Hotel Monaco. PS..I had a momentary problem with my shower which was fixed in a nano moment by hotel engineer Destry who wrote a kind apology.

Room Tip: The upper floors have gorgeous views of SLC and they're super quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Robin,

Wow! What a great review! I'm so thrilled you had such a great experience here and that our staff was so helpful. They really are amazing. You described our hotel and restaurant so beautifully - it really is a very magical place. Hope you'll be back again soon.

Best,