“Just delightful”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Utah
“Just delightful”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at a Kimpton Hotel and the consistency of service and quality is a very nice change from the other hotel chains of a similar price point. This is a dog friendly hotel with complimentary wine tasting in the lobby at 5:00 PM daily. The rooms are very comfortable, well decorated and appointed. The Monaco is very well located in the heart of down town Salt Lake City and within walking distance of many of the city's important landmarks and shopping. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was not only excellent, but moderately priced. The Kimpton chain has earned our our business and we now prioritize staying with them.

Room Tip: We had a room near the elevators and never heard them. I can't speak for the other choices.
Green Features: I did not pay much attention to this area so I can't really comment one way of the other.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed one night during a road trip. We found the room generally nice. We were surprised that there was no coffeemaker in the room, but we called the front desk and they sent up a pot of coffee--although no spoon to stir in the milk and sugar. The shower is "low flow," which I appreciate for its eco-friendliness, but which means that it feels weak and doesn't seem to rinse very well. However, the towels and the robe are extremely soft and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
darynw, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you Yamamus for your feedback!

I would like to offer our apologies for the lack of coffee marker and the weak shower. I assure you that I personality will address these issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any additional information you would like to add about your recent stay with us. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Longview, Texas
Reviewed 8 April 2014

In town for business and loved staying at the Monaco! The hotel was very nice and the bed was amazing. I really loved the location more than anything though. It's right down town, in the heart of Salt Lake City. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This was my first stay at a Kimpton hotel, but I had heard that they are a great brand. The Salt Lake City Hotel Monaco did not disappoint!

The building is a 13-story century old bank, so don't stay here if you are looking for the most modern building. The elevators are a bit slow, windows in the room was small, but all of it gives it character that other chain hotels do not have. But besides those items I listed, this is a very modern, hip hotel.

From the moment you pull up to the valet you know that you are going to have a great stay. The lobby is intimate and warm. Love the wine hour from 5-6pm (I only went one of my two nights, but it was just what I needed after getting in from the airport). I didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but they looked fantastic.

The room itself was surprisingly big (I had a regular, one queen bed room). I don't know if the size is uniform, so maybe they are not all this size. But I felt it was very comfortable. The bathroom is bright and well done. Great smelling soaps/shampoo. Basic bath/shower, the shower head was high enough that I could get under it easily (at 6'1 I often have to crouch under hotel showers). Towels were all new, thick and high quality.

AC worked well, easy to figure out. TV had good options, including some channels like Logo that you don't get everywhere. The minibar was well stocked (and if you sign up for their rewards, you get $10 credit to use). Good lighting and furnishings, bright and hip (which helps since the window is so small).

The bed was very comfortable. My only complaint from the entire stay however is the duvet. I have run into this at other hotels too... it is not a true duvet cover; what they do is sandwich the duvet between two flat sheets. I don't know why they do this, because what happens is that even though they fold the sheets, by the morning they had come unfolded... the last thing I want is the uncovered duvet touching my face as I am sure they do not was it between guests. It would be a simple fix to get a true duvet cover, but perhaps this wouldn't look as crisp or clean somehow... not sure.

All the staff were incredibly helpful, friendly and attentive. Check out time isn't until noon which is nice. The valet is very responsive, you can call down from your room to have your car waiting. Just be warned it is $19 a day. Wifi was fast (and again, free for loyalty members).

Location was amazing. I had a car, but if you don't, it is a short walk to the Temple, shopping, food, etc etc etc. There is also a light rail stop just outside. A word of warning, however... pretty much everything (mall, stores, restaurants) is closed on Sunday... your only breakfast options are in the hotel or a nearby Starbucks.

All in all, I wouldn't want to stay any place else in Salt Lake. I will definitely be staying at Kimpton hotels in the future. Yes, you pay a bit more, but definitely worth it.

Room Tip: I was in 1409. I could hear people coming off the elevators (I awoke at 4am to someone talking loud...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. I think that you have captured the essence of the Hotel Monaco.

We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed here last September and were really looking forward to it. However, it was not even close to what we had hoped. There was no hot water to shower and almost zero water pressure. Our room keys did not work once. And when we talked to the front desk about it they blamed us and said that we were demagnetizing the cards? We have never once had that happen at any hotel we stayed at ever, and yet it was all our fault. It was really annoying to say the least. Our room was tiny and the window looked right out at a parking garage. I won't be staying there again.
The hotel looked nice. And was in a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
I would like to offer our apologies for the lack of service you received during your stay with us. I assure you that I personality will address this issue with the employees involved and fix this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any additional information you would like to add about your recent stay with us. Thank you for bringing it to our attention

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 10 March 2014

What an amazing stay! Hotel Monaco started us out with an upgrade from our Villa Suite to a Magestic Suite...so very nice. Dinner at Bambara was amazing! They provided us with menu's that had been printed with "Happy 10th Anniversary" on them just for us.
The next day we brought our two boys to the room to spend the night. The Hotel Concierge service had sent up two gold fish, a tray of cookies and a complimentary movie for them. When we checked out our boys told us it was the best hotel ever!
The hotel was very clean and close to plenty of dining options. Everyone was so helpful, friendly, and made us feel like VIP.
Can't wait until our next stay~
Thank you Hotel Monaco & Bambara for the unforgettable weekend!

Room Tip: We were on the North East corner in a Magestic Suite. The views were amazing. Couldn't imagine a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 30AJA71
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The Hotel Monaco is in a great location in downtown Salt Lake City. The hotel is on the Trax line from the airport and is walking distance to the convention center and many good restaurants. The rooms are a bit small but have very comfortable beds.

Room Tip: You have to request in advance a room with a king size bed. Some rooms have great views
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
darynw, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thanks for your recent Trip Advisor review. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. You are correct - we have a wonderful location with great access to everything downtown. We look forward to your next visit.

Please let me know if I can assist in the future!