“Classy Vibe”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Draper, Utah
“Classy Vibe”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and i have been staying at this hotel for our anniversary for years. It is very clean and almost has a New York hotel feel. As our family has grown (we now have a dog) Hotel Monaco has been awesome since its pet friendly. They provide pet dishes and treats. Its worth a look if youre in Salt Lake and staying a night.

Room Tip: Pets are on specific floors, dogs on one floor and cats on another. all other floors are pet free.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've stayed at the Monaco in SLC a couple times, and each time is the same: friendly people, great service, comfy beds, great food - and always a fun time at coffee in the morning and wine hour in the evening.

This trip they even had some new additions: a couple showcasing their amazing chocolates, and a chair masseur during wine hour. The line between "wine hour" and "Cocktail Party with Friends" was very blurry - this was vastly becoming a party with friends".

One of the things i lim best about the Monaco is their location - they are right in the middle of downtown and have easy access to everything Salt Lake has to offer. When you combine a great location in a great location you have one great hotel - five star all the way!

Room Tip: Each room is a little different - if you let your desk person know your preferences, they will help...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Will_Swagger
San Diego
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 4 nights with my elderly mom. This was our 5th Kimpton hotel and again we absolutely delighted. The location is superb, walking distance to all the main downtown attractions including Temple Square and right across the street from the Capitol Theatre where we saw "Wicked". The hotel is clean, and tastefully decorated. We stayed in a premium King room which had a pull out bed for our mom, they layout was perfect because the way it was situated gave us still a bit of privacy. The free social hour had good wine, cosmopolitans and lemonade with a different little appetizer each time. The best part of staying at a Kimpton is the service, you feel at home and always like a VIP, this experience was no different.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jamaica
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was so happy when I got to the Monaco. I have a new business contract that will take me to Salt Lake City often. The front desk person was very pleasant and the room was great.
The disappointment came when after a long day of travel as I got into the bed I laid down and there was no mattress pad. I called the front desk, and was told sorry but the manager of this hotel does not believe in mattress pads we think the beds are very comfortable without them.
Bewildered I went to sleep. The next morning as I checked out again said I was unhappy without a mattress pad and the woman said she was sorry, she would tell the manager but they do not have them.
I have traveled my whole life and the only time I have been in a hotel without a mattress pad was one - in a developing country (Africa) and the other in a by the side of the highway cheapest motel we could find on a road trip during college

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CAWood2014
West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband booked us a room at this hotel for a Valentine's get-away. They weren't ready for us until a couple hours after what check-in time was supposed to be to start off and we were offered nothing for our inconvenience. The rooms were smaller than they seemed in the pics and we were overall disappointed in them for the price.The rooms were very loud and we could hear every single person in the hallway all night long keeping us awake. Their "plush" bathrobes that are provided in the room were old, been washed hundreds of times and scratchy. The bathroom vanities were so tall, I couldn't use them without a step-stool (being short in stature). Not to mention, we had no idea we would have to pay for parking and they wanted us to sign up for a club we weren't interested in to be able to access the wifi. We ended up checking out at 5 am the following day because we couldn't stand it any longer. We contacted the manager after our stay with a list of concerns/disappointments, she only gave us a list of excuses for our poor experience and offered a discount on a future stay which we will decline because the stay was so horrible. Why would we want to stay again?
If I had one positive it would be that the front desk staff were friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Becca O
darynw, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I would like to sincerely apologize for all the problems you encountered while staying here at the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City. As the new General Manager of this hotel, I would truly like to make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me at daryn.white@kimptonhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

With deepest apologizes

Daryn White
Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We drove from Chicago to San Francisco in late July and SLC was the third night on the road! We booked the Hotel Monaco based on previous positive experiences with Kimpton brand hotels and were looking forward to the stay.
We booked the package that included valet services and a food credit. We happily left our car with the friendly valets and checked in. We booked weeks in advance and the hype leading up to our stay quite frankly led us on! Via email, we were asked if we were celebrating anything special (yes!!!, I turned 40 in SLC while on the road!), we were asked who was staying in the room and what were there names, we were invited to pay a small fee to upgrade our room. The front desk, sadly, didn't read any of our responses making me wonder why on earth I bothered responding to the emails at all.
We paid $40 for an upgraded King Suite. We asked that the sofa bed be made for my 9 year old son as we explained we were 3 days on the road and exhausted. We got to the room and even though I gave the names of my traveling companions there was no mention of either of them on the welcome card. There was a giant stuffed animal that my son excitedly thought was for him but we quickly noted it cost $20.00 and we set it in the closet. Really cheap ploy. I could see if it was included in the mini-bar price list (which was missing) but they laid it on the bed holding the welcome note.
The hotel is a short walk to Temple Square, which is beautiful. We returned for the Happy Hour and then ate at the exceptional Bambara Restaurant for an early dinner. When we got back to our room, the sofa bed still wasn't made. I went downstairs to ask (again) for the sheets so I could make it myself and was told someone would be up soon. After another call (an hour later) a really rude guy bringing dog beds around handed me a sheet (no blanket) and no pillows. Uhm, thanks? We returned to the front desk to get a blanket and pillow and had to wait again for a different guy to return with the pillow but, alas, no blanket. UGH!!! And, we paid extra just for my son to have a bed!
Apart from the wonderful restaurant we left really frustrated and disappointed. Would love to return to SLC but will definitely NOT be coming back to the Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank sbodie
Thank you very much for bringing your concerns to my attention. I truly appreciate it. I would like to take the time to apologize for the inconvenience my staff caused you and your family. These things are completely unacceptable and completely understand your frustrations. Having a young son myself, I can relate to you. I will make sure these concerns are addressed with my team and do not continue to happen.

I would love to speak with you future. Please feel free to contact me at daryn.white@kimptonhotels.com

Once again, I apologize for the frustrations caused during your stay.

Daryn White
Hotel Monaco SLC
Orinda
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Arrived late in the day after a long drive with my dog. Everyone from the valet to the ladies at reception, were wonderful. The room was beautiful, the best bed! I have a "heavenly bed" at home and this one was just as comfortable. No extra fee for dogs, and was able to leave him in his crate while I went to dinner.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends