“This place is junk!!!!!”

Motel 6 Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #68 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed here for a week until I moved in to my new place. My TV wouldn't even turn on. Unlike other hotels/motels, they charge $3 a day to be able to use wifi. And the connection was very inconsistent. Coffee is weak and the cream is fake. They glamour so much about there being "free coffee". Why not make the internet free? Coffee is very cheap so make is not considered anything fancy. Besides, it came in tiny cups. Not enough soaps and no shampoo. The blankets are too thin and not enough to warm you up. Property is degraded. Thank you Motel 6 for the temporary stay as a transition to moving to my new place, but I'm never staying at another Motel 6 ever again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Fernando G

Reviewed 28 July 2014

It started with a great gal at the front desk who was articulate and up on current events, personable. The room was modern, clean and quiet. Across the street from the Red Lion which has a good restaurant.

Room Tip: Reasonably close to U of U hospital.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Motel 6, for me, has always meant a clean, safe, but inexpensive no frills place to stay. I reserved 2 rooms. Both were dirty. As we walked in, someone shouted an obscene proposition from the 2nd floor at my daughter in law. No fewer than 3 men checked out the content of our vehicles during the 30 minutes we stayed. The cashier is hidden behind security glass. I watched a drug deal take place on the balcony above our rooms (loudly and publically, obviously there was no concern about management reaction). A man maltreated a woman in the courtyard in front of everyone, and then stood on the balcony yelling about what he felt about her. We left. Fortunately they refunded our money, but we would have left regardless. Salt Lake City downtown motel 6 is not a clean family place. If you want to make a drug deal and have the firepower necessary to defend your possessions, maybe it's the place for you. Otherwise, avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: Have absolutely no valuables visible in your vehicle or room. Lock your door and keep it locked. Pra...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed there for a few nights in one of the newest rooms all renovated so it was really clean and nice. We didn't have any problems at all. The price is good and the location is perfect. We could just walk to go to the movies or a bar which was great!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have stayed at several Motel 6's in the past, this is by far the worst I have ever visited. As a smoker, I understand the rooms to smell like smoke, but the bedspreads and sheets were filled with cigarette burns, at least twenty... and the people knocking at the door all night asking for their "dealer" was a major turn off. We felt unsafe. Very UNSAFE. The place was filled with crack heads and tweekers. The manager on duty seemed to be sketchy as well. I don't normally rate hotels, but I felt I needed to do this. I have stayed at this location in the past, and have never felt so unsafe. The room was dingy, the door seemed to have been kicked in at some time, the bedding was GROSS!! For the price, we could have traveled one block and paid ten dollars more, which is what we will do in the future for sure. Shame on this Motel 6!!! As a national chain, you can do much better!

Room Tip: Avoid this motel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Steven L
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After a satisfactory stay earlier this year, I decided to stay at this location again. I won't so in the future.
I'm okay with budget or "no-frills" motels and frequently stay at them on road trips. I think that a Motel6 along the highway is a great place to stop and sleep. This particular location, right downtown, is a nice budget alternative to the more expensive locations a block or two away. The unfortunate problem with such downtown locations is the trashy patrons they attract.
The first morning I was woken by loud music at 7:30 am. I looked out my window to see a group of people sitting by their pickup truck, doors wide open, enjoy some rap music at the stereo's full volume...about 30 feet from my room. Who would actually think this is okay?
That night, upon returning to the property around 12:30am, I saw a man with his car's hood up, alarm going off, apparently trying to disable the alarm. Maybe he locked his keys in the car. I don't know. What I do know is that eventually he regained access to the car and shut off the alarm...and then celebrated by cranking up the stereo. Again, how is this acceptable behavior?
On the last morning of my stay I opened the door and discovered a broken liquor bottle and a bloody towel. Gross.
It's sad that a great business can be ruined by their patrons, but that's exactly what's happened at this location. On their own merit, the rooms are fine. But the quality of customers at this location is disgusting: late night noise, fights, blood (literally)...I will not stay there again and absolutely recommend avoiding this place if you have children. It's simply not safe.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sheraton or Doubletree around the corner. Your children will be safer.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Leif D
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Leif D,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the cleanliness and safety conditions you encountered. The issues you experienced are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I went to this motel several times when I did not have much money to spend. I don't know what the halls are like because I never used them; I got a disability room on the first floor & facing the outside. It did not smell bad to me & I have a very sensitive sense of smell, perhaps because I always get a 'non-smoking' room. My rooms were a little run-down but they were very clean. The front desk people were always nice and quite helpful. It was comfortable & I always got plenty of sleep. There were never any problems at this motel regarding my service-dog.
The motel is a few blocks (huge blocks -- Salt Lake City has only 8 blocks per mile) from a depressed part of the city, but the motel is not really in a bad area itself.
This Motel 6 was always a comfortable experience at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo