“Not what is advertised”

Ranked #55 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Portland, Oregon
“Not what is advertised”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel was poor to OK at best based on cleanliness and amenities. Room was not very clean, dishes were all filthy and there was no sponge to wash them with so we had to buy one. We booked a room that said 2 queen beds. When we arrived, we immediately could tell that the beds were not queen beds, but full size beds. I even went as far as to measure them with a tape measure and show the front desk that a queen bed is 60" wide and a full bed is 54" wide and the beds in the room were not queens. They offered to switch us rooms, but we looked and the beds were the same. The staff kept telling me the beds were queen beds. I told them we sleep on a queen at home and these are not queens. I also highly recommended they research online a queen bed versus a full bed and they will easily see that their hotel does not have queen beds. They need to change the advertising to say full bed instead of queen as it is a lie. The hotel location was great, the Sugarhouse park neighboorhood was clean (other than construction), safe and had lots of food options within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank otokomaeguy
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond.

The situation you described regarding the beds and the room not being clean is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience.

To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is making sure that we do not check any guest into a room that has not been inspected by a manager. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Pueblo, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The hotel is in a great area with a lot to experience but the hotel was lacking - to say the least. The room was small for an extended stay. The first room we were in had a strong chemical odor and the desk clerk said that they just cleaned the carpets so we moved to a second room (not sure why they would rent it out in the first place with wet carpet). While the new room didn't have a chemical odor, it wasn't clean. There was hair in the bathroom and in the bedding. We took the knobs off of the stove and that gave us a clue about how these rooms were cleaned. Housekeeping staff just wipe around things. The carpets were old and so were the beds. We didn't use the kitchen because it wasn't clean and we didn't have anything to clean it with. The "free" wifi didn't work after one day of our stay and the problem was never resolved. The "complimentary breakfast" had to be the most comical. We were given the hours of breakfast at check in, so we went down the following morning to find breakfast. There was a cabinet across from the front desk that had a bowl of fruit that had some dried pieces of fruit that were supposed to be fresh, a few packages of muffins, some packets of oatmeal and they made coffee. It was laughable that they would even call it breakfast. For the rate we paid for this hotel, there are many better options. We only stayed a couple of nights before moving to another hotel that was far more superior than this place that was less expensive but offered a HUGE value compared to this place (Staybridge Suites). We really don't complain much, but kept being prompted by the hotel to complete a survey, so this is our feedback...We won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us, I am so disappointed that your room was not clean and that you had problems with the internet. Please accept my apology.

In response to your feedback, I am personally inspecting every room to make sure rooms are clean prior to arrivals. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sug@extendedstay.com.

New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We found the staff pleasant, friendly and trying their best to be helpful. Room was decent, clean and pretty comfortable. The kitchen part is very convenient for those who enjoy eating in. Full size fridge with freezer, two burners, etc. Normal size bathroom with full bath/shower. Location is great. Right next to full shopping mall. The only complaint I had was with some of other guests ignoring the no-smoking rules. All in all we were rather satisfied with the two nights that we stayed there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. Thank you for the kind comments about the staff and the hotel; however, we apologize that other guests were smoking in the non-smoking areas. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I am taking action and that we are enforcing the smoking in designated areas policy at our hotel to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This property has a super location right in Sugar House. A bit more like an apartment complex, than hotel. Directions on their website were incorrect which was a bit annoying at 2 am. Rooms are dated, but very reasonable. Nice an quiet except the plumbing. We had a good nights rest. I could stay in this place for a week. Good value. Could be newer and nicer but for the price it was a steal. I have stayed in many hotels of this quality and paid double the price, merely because of a good location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that you had problems with directions to our hotel due to the incorrect information on our website. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am reviewing the information on our website to make sure it is correct. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at sug@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Room temperature was hard to control and the air conditioner fan was so noisey it made sleep difficult. No evidence of housekeeping service. The shower was inoperative. There were no coffee cups, mugs, drinking glasses or plates in kitchen; the desk clerk provided styrofoam cups upon request. Two light bulbs were burned out. I was not paying for the room (3-Day Kitchen and Bath reserved it for me while they did remodeling at my home and asked me to vacate while they worked). Therefore I did not complain about the things I found unacceptable.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Rooms come with kitchen which is great but maid service is weekly so be prepared for that. When I checked in, the AC wasn't working in my room and after waiting 30 minutes for a technician I asked to be switched to a different room. I finally was, but it seemed like I was asking a huge favor (considering it was 95 I didn't think so.) the rest of the stay was fine and the rooms have recently been upgraded I believe. Plan to park your car and walk around, the neighborhood is great.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that the A/C was not working in your room; however, I am glad that our staff was able to move you to another room in a timely fashion. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have put together a plan with my maintenance engineer to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sug@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Roy, Utah
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My hubby and I stayed here and found it perfect for our needs. The room was clean, spacious and close to shopping and dining. We were just driving around looking for a place to stay for our weekend get away. We knew some friends preforming in a local venue and wanted to be close enough to walk to it. This place was perfectly located. And imagine my delight when I found the room complete with a kitchenette for a late night snacking and shopping just steps away. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Gwen - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the kitchenette in your room, as well as our location in relation to the local shopping area.