Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House
Ranked #56 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Noisy hotel, did not enjoy stay due to people taking right outside room. Rooms open on to parking lot. Seemed to be a lot of activity and coming going. We were awake early and decided to just get up and leave rather than try to sleep thru the noise. Cannot not recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Curt - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that you were disturbed by noises from other guests throughout your stay. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be increasing the number of times our staff monitors the corridors during the night to assure that our guests are not being affected by noise outside their rooms.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

I picked this hotel based on its proximity to a conference I was attending. The first room I was given hadn't been cleaned (wet, dirty towels laying around). It was also on the back side of the building and it was very dark and sketchy for a female traveling alone. The second room I was given was an upgrade to a suite for my trouble. It was a nonsmoking room that reeked of smoke. The front desk clerk, Jessica, was very apologetic and did her best to fix the situation. The third room was better but the room was in terrible need of an upgrade. I would never stay there again. It would be worth extra driving to stay in a nicer hotel. And the continental breakfast was a cup of coffee with an apple or a granola bar.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank wyogaltoday

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of your room, is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my we are reviewing procedures with our staff to inspect guest rooms diligently before check-in. Still, I am pleased to hear that Jessica provided you with courteous and accommodating service.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel was poor to OK at best based on cleanliness and amenities. Room was not very clean, dishes were all filthy and there was no sponge to wash them with so we had to buy one. We booked a room that said 2 queen beds. When we arrived, we immediately could tell that the beds were not queen beds, but full size beds. I even went as far as to measure them with a tape measure and show the front desk that a queen bed is 60" wide and a full bed is 54" wide and the beds in the room were not queens. They offered to switch us rooms, but we looked and the beds were the same. The staff kept telling me the beds were queen beds. I told them we sleep on a queen at home and these are not queens. I also highly recommended they research online a queen bed versus a full bed and they will easily see that their hotel does not have queen beds. They need to change the advertising to say full bed instead of queen as it is a lie. The hotel location was great, the Sugarhouse park neighboorhood was clean (other than construction), safe and had lots of food options within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank otokomaeguy
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond.

The situation you described regarding the beds and the room not being clean is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience.

To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is making sure that we do not check any guest into a room that has not been inspected by a manager. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The hotel is in a great area with a lot to experience but the hotel was lacking - to say the least. The room was small for an extended stay. The first room we were in had a strong chemical odor and the desk clerk said that they just cleaned the carpets so we moved to a second room (not sure why they would rent it out in the first place with wet carpet). While the new room didn't have a chemical odor, it wasn't clean. There was hair in the bathroom and in the bedding. We took the knobs off of the stove and that gave us a clue about how these rooms were cleaned. Housekeeping staff just wipe around things. The carpets were old and so were the beds. We didn't use the kitchen because it wasn't clean and we didn't have anything to clean it with. The "free" wifi didn't work after one day of our stay and the problem was never resolved. The "complimentary breakfast" had to be the most comical. We were given the hours of breakfast at check in, so we went down the following morning to find breakfast. There was a cabinet across from the front desk that had a bowl of fruit that had some dried pieces of fruit that were supposed to be fresh, a few packages of muffins, some packets of oatmeal and they made coffee. It was laughable that they would even call it breakfast. For the rate we paid for this hotel, there are many better options. We only stayed a couple of nights before moving to another hotel that was far more superior than this place that was less expensive but offered a HUGE value compared to this place (Staybridge Suites). We really don't complain much, but kept being prompted by the hotel to complete a survey, so this is our feedback...We won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us, I am so disappointed that your room was not clean and that you had problems with the internet. Please accept my apology.

In response to your feedback, I am personally inspecting every room to make sure rooms are clean prior to arrivals. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sug@extendedstay.com.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We found the staff pleasant, friendly and trying their best to be helpful. Room was decent, clean and pretty comfortable. The kitchen part is very convenient for those who enjoy eating in. Full size fridge with freezer, two burners, etc. Normal size bathroom with full bath/shower. Location is great. Right next to full shopping mall. The only complaint I had was with some of other guests ignoring the no-smoking rules. All in all we were rather satisfied with the two nights that we stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. Thank you for the kind comments about the staff and the hotel; however, we apologize that other guests were smoking in the non-smoking areas. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I am taking action and that we are enforcing the smoking in designated areas policy at our hotel to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This property has a super location right in Sugar House. A bit more like an apartment complex, than hotel. Directions on their website were incorrect which was a bit annoying at 2 am. Rooms are dated, but very reasonable. Nice an quiet except the plumbing. We had a good nights rest. I could stay in this place for a week. Good value. Could be newer and nicer but for the price it was a steal. I have stayed in many hotels of this quality and paid double the price, merely because of a good location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that you had problems with directions to our hotel due to the incorrect information on our website. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am reviewing the information on our website to make sure it is correct. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at sug@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Room temperature was hard to control and the air conditioner fan was so noisey it made sleep difficult. No evidence of housekeeping service. The shower was inoperative. There were no coffee cups, mugs, drinking glasses or plates in kitchen; the desk clerk provided styrofoam cups upon request. Two light bulbs were burned out. I was not paying for the room (3-Day Kitchen and Bath reserved it for me while they did remodeling at my home and asked me to vacate while they worked). Therefore I did not complain about the things I found unacceptable.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo