“Maintenance obviously not a concern”

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House
Ranked #56 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Syosset, NY
“Maintenance obviously not a concern”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Went to visit a friend in hospital, this was the hotel the family was staying at. The mattress was like a pool table and the pillows like bricks. The sink in the kitchen wouldn't drain properly. The staff was absent, at least I never saw anybody except the desk clerk who was apparently brand new. This place was not a hotel I will stay at again.

• Stayed November 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the mattress and pillows were not comfortable and that the sink in the kitchen was not in working conditions. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will make sure that we are present for our guests needs to make sure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at sug@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chengdu
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Went to drop my son to Westminster College, hotel is walking distance from the college, very convenient. Rooms are comfortable with hot showers, the kitchen and fridge a big plus. Free wifi is available, there are a couple of restaurants n convenient stores close by, satisfied with the stay there but breakfast a little too simple

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front are easier to access, takes a while to get to the rooms on the backside
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
I want to thank you for taking your time to post a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. Our hotel is within walking distance to Westminster College, convenient stores and several restaurants. I am pleased to hear that you liked our rooms and our fully equipped kitchens. We have a fridge, stove top, microwave, toaster and coffee maker in our rooms. I am sorry to hear that our breakfast was a little too simple. We like to hear feedback from our guests as we are always looking for ways to make our guest stay more pleasant.

Ely, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is a great stay, you are close to shopping, medical, and restaurants. You can walk everywhere. This hotel has a small kitchen. And I am sure they will have plates, pots, glasses, and utensils! It's clean and comfortable! They do allow pets with a fee $25.00 for right now. I enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was very helpful. Thanks to all the staff. Isaac here for medical reasons.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Katherine D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Katherine - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your admiration for our location, we do have several shopping centers, restaurants and medical facilities in walking distance of our hotel. We do offer a fully equipped kitchen for the convenience of our guest to help them enjoy home cooked meals. Pets are always welcomed at our hotel for a small fee. The staff and I are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Once more, thank you for posting your review, it makes the staff happy to know that they did a good job. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future and thank you again for staying with us.
Versailles, Kentucky
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Noisy hotel, did not enjoy stay due to people taking right outside room. Rooms open on to parking lot. Seemed to be a lot of activity and coming going. We were awake early and decided to just get up and leave rather than try to sleep thru the noise. Cannot not recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Curt - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that you were disturbed by noises from other guests throughout your stay. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be increasing the number of times our staff monitors the corridors during the night to assure that our guests are not being affected by noise outside their rooms.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Wyoming
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

I picked this hotel based on its proximity to a conference I was attending. The first room I was given hadn't been cleaned (wet, dirty towels laying around). It was also on the back side of the building and it was very dark and sketchy for a female traveling alone. The second room I was given was an upgrade to a suite for my trouble. It was a nonsmoking room that reeked of smoke. The front desk clerk, Jessica, was very apologetic and did her best to fix the situation. The third room was better but the room was in terrible need of an upgrade. I would never stay there again. It would be worth extra driving to stay in a nicer hotel. And the continental breakfast was a cup of coffee with an apple or a granola bar.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank wyogaltoday
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of your room, is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my we are reviewing procedures with our staff to inspect guest rooms diligently before check-in. Still, I am pleased to hear that Jessica provided you with courteous and accommodating service.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel was poor to OK at best based on cleanliness and amenities. Room was not very clean, dishes were all filthy and there was no sponge to wash them with so we had to buy one. We booked a room that said 2 queen beds. When we arrived, we immediately could tell that the beds were not queen beds, but full size beds. I even went as far as to measure them with a tape measure and show the front desk that a queen bed is 60" wide and a full bed is 54" wide and the beds in the room were not queens. They offered to switch us rooms, but we looked and the beds were the same. The staff kept telling me the beds were queen beds. I told them we sleep on a queen at home and these are not queens. I also highly recommended they research online a queen bed versus a full bed and they will easily see that their hotel does not have queen beds. They need to change the advertising to say full bed instead of queen as it is a lie. The hotel location was great, the Sugarhouse park neighboorhood was clean (other than construction), safe and had lots of food options within walking distance.

2 Thank otokomaeguy
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond.

The situation you described regarding the beds and the room not being clean is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience.

To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is making sure that we do not check any guest into a room that has not been inspected by a manager. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Pueblo, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The hotel is in a great area with a lot to experience but the hotel was lacking - to say the least. The room was small for an extended stay. The first room we were in had a strong chemical odor and the desk clerk said that they just cleaned the carpets so we moved to a second room (not sure why they would rent it out in the first place with wet carpet). While the new room didn't have a chemical odor, it wasn't clean. There was hair in the bathroom and in the bedding. We took the knobs off of the stove and that gave us a clue about how these rooms were cleaned. Housekeeping staff just wipe around things. The carpets were old and so were the beds. We didn't use the kitchen because it wasn't clean and we didn't have anything to clean it with. The "free" wifi didn't work after one day of our stay and the problem was never resolved. The "complimentary breakfast" had to be the most comical. We were given the hours of breakfast at check in, so we went down the following morning to find breakfast. There was a cabinet across from the front desk that had a bowl of fruit that had some dried pieces of fruit that were supposed to be fresh, a few packages of muffins, some packets of oatmeal and they made coffee. It was laughable that they would even call it breakfast. For the rate we paid for this hotel, there are many better options. We only stayed a couple of nights before moving to another hotel that was far more superior than this place that was less expensive but offered a HUGE value compared to this place (Staybridge Suites). We really don't complain much, but kept being prompted by the hotel to complete a survey, so this is our feedback...We won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us, I am so disappointed that your room was not clean and that you had problems with the internet. Please accept my apology.

In response to your feedback, I am personally inspecting every room to make sure rooms are clean prior to arrivals. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sug@extendedstay.com.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.