“Good rooms and price. Terrible service and Internet speed.”

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House
Ranked #56 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at this location for about six months. Nice rooms for the price. Maid service is unpredictable if staying more than a week. Standards for cleaning the rooms don't exist. I had to rent a steam cleaner myself because the carpets would blacken my feet and they refused to clean them for my multi-month stay. The garbage was emptied a few times and almost never after that. I consistently had to go to the front desk to get garbage bags, or toilet paper or facial tissue. Items were rarely stocked in the room during time of cleaning. I travel a lot for work and these were the slowest Internet speeds I've seen in over ten years. Buyer beware for upgrading to the faster Internet speed. It will set you back $20 a month per device you plan on using. No refunds.

• Stayed: May 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you had with cleanliness and our free Wi-Fi. I will going over your review with our housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. I am also contacting our internet provider to look into issues with the Wi-Fi.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, your feedback will help us improve our services that we provide to our guests. We only want our guests to feel welcome and appreciated. We thank you for your comments and please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

This hotel chain is obviously in some kind of trouble, at least at this location. If you stay here, you will experience a lot of problems. It's not well maintained nor clean. The staff are surly at worst and indifferent at best. The only motivated and accommodating employee is the night manager. She went out of her way to make my stay bearable. I stayed in this hotel for about four weeks and during that time the parking lot was repaved twice and the parking was a horror. Then their WiFi was always going out and they couldn't seem to properly fix the problem. The phone in the room I was in initially (I asked to be moved) was broken and they never fixed it, I was unable, during the entire length of my stay, to receive any voice messages. The maid service wasn't weekly unless you reminded them to do it. The staff were rude or dismissive about reported problems. In the 2nd room I stayed in the plumbing had some sort of problem - it smelled like sewer gas and sounded as if it were backing up. The safety lock on the door broke (it was made of molded plastic and was attached very badly), and they never replaced it. There was a lot of odd people hanging around in the middle of the night - looked like homeless or down and out people - and the police were there at least three times during my stay. This is a pet friendly establishment, which is why I opted to stay there, and nobody seemed to clean up after their dogs, so there was poo being tracked on the sidewalks, which were never washed off. The beds were lumpy and uncomfortable. Not a good place to stay for the prices they charge.

Room Tip: Ask them not to put you near the elevator or you'll be up all night because they have people rid...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I was disheartened to read that our parking was not accommodating due to the re-pavement, also that our beds were not comfortable, as well as you having non-working items in your room. Our hotel is currently going through a full refresh and I assure you these issues are being resolved. Please accept our apologies. We appreciate the kind comments about our pet friendly establishment; however, we apologize that the grounds of the hotel were not clean in the pet area. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have met with and talked to my staff about your review to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug2@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband was here for training in a building across the parking lot. The lobby needs to be updated and enlarged and the staff needs to be more professionally dressed and act more professional. Bathtub could've been cleaner and I don't think the room had been vacuumed very good. The blanket on the bed had burn marks in it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the non-smoking floor and at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I am very sorry that your room was unclean and that our staff was not dressed according to our company's high standards. In response, I am working with our housekeeping staff to deep clean your room and improve our cleaning procedures overall. As well, I am reviewing our dress code with the entire team so that we look more professional and ready to attend to our guests needs moving forward.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve and the best way is by receiving feedback from our guests. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Went to visit a friend in hospital, this was the hotel the family was staying at. The mattress was like a pool table and the pillows like bricks. The sink in the kitchen wouldn't drain properly. The staff was absent, at least I never saw anybody except the desk clerk who was apparently brand new. This place was not a hotel I will stay at again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the mattress and pillows were not comfortable and that the sink in the kitchen was not in working conditions. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will make sure that we are present for our guests needs to make sure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at sug@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Went to drop my son to Westminster College, hotel is walking distance from the college, very convenient. Rooms are comfortable with hot showers, the kitchen and fridge a big plus. Free wifi is available, there are a couple of restaurants n convenient stores close by, satisfied with the stay there but breakfast a little too simple

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front are easier to access, takes a while to get to the rooms on the backside
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

I want to thank you for taking your time to post a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. Our hotel is within walking distance to Westminster College, convenient stores and several restaurants. I am pleased to hear that you liked our rooms and our fully equipped kitchens. We have a fridge, stove top, microwave, toaster and coffee maker in our rooms. I am sorry to hear that our breakfast was a little too simple. We like to hear feedback from our guests as we are always looking for ways to make our guest stay more pleasant.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is a great stay, you are close to shopping, medical, and restaurants. You can walk everywhere. This hotel has a small kitchen. And I am sure they will have plates, pots, glasses, and utensils! It's clean and comfortable! They do allow pets with a fee $25.00 for right now. I enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was very helpful. Thanks to all the staff. Isaac here for medical reasons.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Katherine D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Katherine - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your admiration for our location, we do have several shopping centers, restaurants and medical facilities in walking distance of our hotel. We do offer a fully equipped kitchen for the convenience of our guest to help them enjoy home cooked meals. Pets are always welcomed at our hotel for a small fee. The staff and I are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Once more, thank you for posting your review, it makes the staff happy to know that they did a good job. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future and thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Noisy hotel, did not enjoy stay due to people taking right outside room. Rooms open on to parking lot. Seemed to be a lot of activity and coming going. We were awake early and decided to just get up and leave rather than try to sleep thru the noise. Cannot not recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Curt - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that you were disturbed by noises from other guests throughout your stay. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be increasing the number of times our staff monitors the corridors during the night to assure that our guests are not being affected by noise outside their rooms.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.