“Nothing to write home about”

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House
Ranked #56 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The room and the kitchenette are tidy and very clean, but everything is so tiny. No closet, only a coat-hanging area with a curtain. The staff is unsympathetic to your needs. The night clerk refused to call a taxi for us, and when asked how I should go about calling a cab myself, answered: "Look it up on your phone".
The hotel is in the nice area, convenient shopping near-by, but the parking lot is shared by a bunch of other businesses, and the loading-unloading area is small and inefficient.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Motti P
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel’s great location and your clean, tidy kitchen. Still, we apologize that our staff was unable to fully meet your needs during your stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have spoken with our staff regarding this issue to ensure that your experience in not repeated. As well, we are sorry that our hotel’s parking and unloading areas did not meet your expectations. We will take your review into consideration as we continuously work to improve our hotel.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sug@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at a Extended Stay America location. Very nice and cozy. Jessica at the front desk was very nice and helpful. Very chirpy and smiles a lot. The room was cozy and warm when I walked in and very clean. I was told that my room has been recently renovated, and it looked that way. One very nice touch they had was cushions built into the wall as the headboard of the bed. This is wonderful for someone who likes to sit up in bed and work on the computer.
Lots of closet space (if you are in town for snowboard/skiing you will have space to put your things)
Full kitchen, fridge, microwave and even toaster!
Great place. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

It is so rewarding to read that you had another relaxing stay at our hotel. Thank you for your comments. I am so glad that our staff provided you with such great service, especially Jessica, and that you enjoyed your room as well as the amenities we provide. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This location in Sugar House makes the hotel great. Everything is in walking distance and takes no time at all. The rooms are much nicer than before, I stay here every few months and the new rooms that they just remodeled are fantastic. They are still doing more rooms so it's a little noisy but other than that my stay was good. The staff are friendly and respectful and try their hardest to help some of the most unbearable guest. The internet was mediocre but hey what can you do when it's free? I enjoy my stay here every time I come to Salt Lake

Room Tip: A room in the back is much quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Jamie - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It was disheartening to read that the Wi-Fi was not working properly; however, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your remodeled room and our hotel's location. As well, I am glad to read that our staff provided you with such great service.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The location is perfect with Whole Foods and Barnes and Nobles nearby and a myriad of restaurants within walking distance. But even this did very little to make up for the HORRIBLE conditions I found here. Internet was slow (truly too slow. my phone was often faster), the manager terrible and unruly, night staff was poorly trained (DO NOT EVER try to solve a problem at night) my shower either had no pressure or was louder than a Harley and in the end the best parts of this hotel quit months ago out of their own frustrations, and in the three months that I was there my room was only cleaned 6 times. If you plan on staying here a day or two it might be worth it. Long term stay will drive you insane. Pay the extra 10 bucks and stay at a real hotel.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is to stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that you had problems with the internet. We have changed our internet provider to improve our internet service. I am really sorry that you left with a bad impression about the staff. We strive to resolve all issues in a timely manner and I will work with my staff to ensure that this done with all guests. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are making sure that long term guests receive the appropriate weekly housekeeping.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback will help improve our services and our guest satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me directly, at sug @extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at this location for about six months. Nice rooms for the price. Maid service is unpredictable if staying more than a week. Standards for cleaning the rooms don't exist. I had to rent a steam cleaner myself because the carpets would blacken my feet and they refused to clean them for my multi-month stay. The garbage was emptied a few times and almost never after that. I consistently had to go to the front desk to get garbage bags, or toilet paper or facial tissue. Items were rarely stocked in the room during time of cleaning. I travel a lot for work and these were the slowest Internet speeds I've seen in over ten years. Buyer beware for upgrading to the faster Internet speed. It will set you back $20 a month per device you plan on using. No refunds.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you had with cleanliness and our free Wi-Fi. I will going over your review with our housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. I am also contacting our internet provider to look into issues with the Wi-Fi.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, your feedback will help us improve our services that we provide to our guests. We only want our guests to feel welcome and appreciated. We thank you for your comments and please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

This hotel chain is obviously in some kind of trouble, at least at this location. If you stay here, you will experience a lot of problems. It's not well maintained nor clean. The staff are surly at worst and indifferent at best. The only motivated and accommodating employee is the night manager. She went out of her way to make my stay bearable. I stayed in this hotel for about four weeks and during that time the parking lot was repaved twice and the parking was a horror. Then their WiFi was always going out and they couldn't seem to properly fix the problem. The phone in the room I was in initially (I asked to be moved) was broken and they never fixed it, I was unable, during the entire length of my stay, to receive any voice messages. The maid service wasn't weekly unless you reminded them to do it. The staff were rude or dismissive about reported problems. In the 2nd room I stayed in the plumbing had some sort of problem - it smelled like sewer gas and sounded as if it were backing up. The safety lock on the door broke (it was made of molded plastic and was attached very badly), and they never replaced it. There was a lot of odd people hanging around in the middle of the night - looked like homeless or down and out people - and the police were there at least three times during my stay. This is a pet friendly establishment, which is why I opted to stay there, and nobody seemed to clean up after their dogs, so there was poo being tracked on the sidewalks, which were never washed off. The beds were lumpy and uncomfortable. Not a good place to stay for the prices they charge.

Room Tip: Ask them not to put you near the elevator or you'll be up all night because they have people rid...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I was disheartened to read that our parking was not accommodating due to the re-pavement, also that our beds were not comfortable, as well as you having non-working items in your room. Our hotel is currently going through a full refresh and I assure you these issues are being resolved. Please accept our apologies. We appreciate the kind comments about our pet friendly establishment; however, we apologize that the grounds of the hotel were not clean in the pet area. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have met with and talked to my staff about your review to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sug2@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband was here for training in a building across the parking lot. The lobby needs to be updated and enlarged and the staff needs to be more professionally dressed and act more professional. Bathtub could've been cleaner and I don't think the room had been vacuumed very good. The blanket on the bed had burn marks in it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the non-smoking floor and at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I am very sorry that your room was unclean and that our staff was not dressed according to our company's high standards. In response, I am working with our housekeeping staff to deep clean your room and improve our cleaning procedures overall. As well, I am reviewing our dress code with the entire team so that we look more professional and ready to attend to our guests needs moving forward.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve and the best way is by receiving feedback from our guests. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sug@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.