“Convenient yet disappointing”

Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Convenient yet disappointing”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This property is conveniently located in close proximity to the Salt Lake City Airport. It is closely surrounded by other hotel properties just off the highway and just a few miles outside Salt Lake City.

I booked at this property due to a very positive recent experience at another Springhill by Marriott location. I am also part of the Marriott Rewards program, and prefer to stay at their properties when possible.

Springhill Suites by Marriott features a wonderful, modern design aesthetic in all their properties. The room layout is spacious and practical, and the beds are comfortable. Breakfast is also offered in the lobby each morning and their is a nice indoor pool and workout facility. The problems I encountered at this property were largely due to poor communication among staff and lack of evident management.

On 2 of the 5 days I stayed at this hotel, there was no housekeeping service provided for my room. The first time this happened, I made sure to speak with the young woman at the front desk. She assured me that it was an oversight, and made note of it. The next day I went to breakfast at 8:00 am, and left the "do not disturb" sign on the door, as my son was still sleeping. When I returned from breakfast at 8:35 am, there was a note on my door that I had missed housekeeping services for the day. I took the note to the man who was now on duty at the front desk, gave it to him and explained that this was the second day without housekeeping service. Since it was a Sunday, I assumed we could stay in our room longer that 8:35 am and still get housekeeping. He assured me that he would send housekeeping back to clean our room and (like the young woman the day before) made note of it in the computer.

My son and I made sure to remove the "do not disturb" sign from the door, and left the hotel for the day a few hours later. On our way out, I made sure to speak directly to a housekeeper and let her know our room needed cleaning. I also stopped by the front desk again, and let the man on duty know we were headed out for the day, and to please have our room serviced. He assured me it would be.

We returned that evening to find that our room had never gotten cleaned, so I went to the front desk yet again. The young woman was back on duty. She was very nice and checked the computer notes and confirmed that yes, there were multiple requests to have our room cleaned, but nobody had acted on it. She did offer us some clean towels, and said she would let her manager know. I told her that in all my years staying at Marriott properties I had never experienced a situation like this. I requested (for the second time during my stay) to speak with management. She did note my request, but I never heard anything from management, and we checked out the next day.

Finally, I noticed a huge difference in how breakfasts are handled on weekdays versus weekends at this property. On weekdays, the buffet is kept clean and well stocked and the young lady who takes care of it greets each guest and is friendly. She also does a great job keeping the entire breakfast area neat and tidy.

Weekends are another story entirely. Nobody seems to be present or taking care of this area. Food and beverages run out and the buffet and tables are not wiped down.

What I have learned from this stay is that the quality of Springhill by Marriott seems to be dependent on the active involvement of the management at each property, and how responsive they are to their guests. This property offers a great value and convenience, but could use some improvement.

Room Tip: Second floor or higher due to noise level from parking lot and lobby area.
Green Features: Nice to know Marriott makes an effort to be environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MilFam2013
RHemsley, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
First of all, please let me apologize. Clearly during your stay there were several break downs in communication. What you experienced was not the way we do business. Please contact me directly to discuss. Again, I'm very sorry for the problems during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
atlanta
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed one night in order to be close to airport. Only a few minutes away, route clearly marked with signs. Room was excellent, plenty of room, very comfortable bed. Very friendly staff at checkin and extremely efficient. The cost was very economical for the size of room. Only negative, no restaurants very close. We arrived late and did not want to travel a long way for dinner. We opted for the Bistro at a neighboring hotel. It was like an overgrown Starbucks however food was not to bad. This location is very quiet and minimal traffic, if you have an early flight this is a great place, they do offer shuttle service to the airport.

Green Features: They are very environmentally sensitive. More so than any other we have stayed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
I'm glad that you had a good experience at the Bistro. There are a few other restaurant choices nearby, but I wish we had more. You're right that being close the airport is a great reason to choose us.
Pocatello
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We left our car at the hotel while we drove a car from Utah to Virginia. Our return flight came in very late, we landed and call for the shuttle. The hotel decor is darling, an under the water theme. The rooms are huge and the restroom is split (toilet and sink in one room, shower and sink in the other.). Comfortable bed with a lot of pillows.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast,

Room Tip: The hotel is beyond the airport, headed to Reno. Follow the signs.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
That sounds like a long drive! Thank you for choosing us to be part of your trip. We are glad that you liked the hotel.
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

+ Modern new hotel en modern spacious very comfortable room. The room had all we wished for and was very clean. High speed wifi!
+/- Breakfast is a bit crowded, quite some variety, differs per day, so one day is was fine next was nit so good.
+ Nice small swimmingpool and for 1$ you can wash or dry.
- Rooms are quite noisy, off course depending on the guest next to you!

Tips: SLC centre (go see the temple square neighbourhood) and Great salt lake (soltier). Very populair place to eat is Squatter....

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
RHemsley, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Sounds like you were able to see a lot of our beautiful city. We hope to see you here again someday.
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Airport and my very early departure in the morning. A very pleasant surprise! The room was perfect - separate bathroom from dressing room - sliding door was quiet and allowed more room for movement. Room had a desk and a day bed. Very comfortable with a coffee pot, microwave. Two other nearby hotels had restaurants available for evening meals. Service staff at the hotel were very helpful. Indoor pool - unfortunately I could not use it. Hotel is close to the airport and had free transport to airport.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
I'm glad that we were able to meet all of your needs. Thank you for staying with us!
Las Vegas
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel was much nicer than the Park city Marriott where I later stayed. The room was very clean, parking was easy, the breakfast buffet was nice and the area was very clean. The hotel is about 40 minutes from Park City via interstate 80. It is easy to get to however it is remotely located when it comes to restaurants. You are about 15 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City. The staff was pleasant and I will stay there again when in the area.

Room Tip: Great place to stay if you want quiet, clean and mainly travelers.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your kind words. Thank you for staying with us.
Bellevue, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed here recently using my Marriott rewards points. This a nice hotel, very clean and new/modern looking. Beds, TV, bathroom, everything is nice. Staff is courteous. The breakfast is your standard sausage patties, powdered eggs, bagels, etc. I would stay here again if needed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you. We will be excited to have you stay with us again next time you are in Salt Lake City.